PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• windsor0
    windsor0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, i have the coopers halogen oven, when people say you can cook from froozen, does that mean that you put straight onto high heat, or do you put on the thaw option. thanks for any help
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I cook from frozen in my Flavourwave - the recipe sheet gives a time/setting guide, but do make sure you check with a meat thermometer before serving. I do chicken breasts in mine, and they are lovely, moist inside and browned on the outside.

HTH
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • windsor0
    windsor0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Raksha, thanks for that will give it ago, i do like the halogen so easy to clean
  • craig777
    craig777 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone is interested, the Idealworld halogen oven is back on tonight at 9pm.
  • brownfrog
    brownfrog Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    I've been looking at the Cooper's one, as at £40 + £5 P&P, it works out a good bit cheaper than the Ideal World one (doesn't come with all the bits, but an accessory pack is £15, so it's still cheaper and gives you the extension ring and a toast rack as well). Anyone know the wattage of this one?
  • Ere-we-go
    Ere-we-go Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a halogen oven because I'm on my own and think it's a waste to keep heating the oven (even the small oven/grill one) just for one little pie or one baked potato.

What's holding me back is that I'm vegetarian so wouldn't be cooking chickens or roasts or anything like that. I've read somewhere that it takes 30 minutes to cook rice, which seems about the same time as on the hob.

I can't decide whether it would be worth buying one just to cook the odd pie or potato - forgetting the initial outlay, I'm really thinking about electricity consumption.

Has anyone got any thoughts please?

Nora
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ere-we-go wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting a halogen oven because I'm on my own and think it's a waste to keep heating the oven (even the small oven/grill one) just for one little pie or one baked potato.

What's holding me back is that I'm vegetarian so wouldn't be cooking chickens or roasts or anything like that. I've read somewhere that it takes 30 minutes to cook rice, which seems about the same time as on the hob.

I can't decide whether it would be worth buying one just to cook the odd pie or potato - forgetting the initial outlay, I'm really thinking about electricity consumption.

Has anyone got any thoughts please?

Nora

Nora we are mainly veggie in this house. We use the HO for cooking veg sausages, burgers and some ready meals. Jacket potatos we start off in the microwave and then crisp up in JML.

Regarding rice, if you have a microwave, I highly recomment the plastic rice steamer pot with a kind of colander inside. Foolproof rice in 10 minutes, particularly basmati as it sometimes overcooks on a hob.

I think the JML or halogen is perfect for one person. Hope this helps.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »
    I think the JML or halogen is perfect for one person. Hope this helps.

Speaking as one person, I could not agree more.

I would also add that you can get pizza trays/dishes on ebay that fit the Ho perfectly. And you don't have to put pizzas on them, you can put anything on them. You can get them with or without holes too!

You can also get pizza meshes, which are a non-stick mesh that you can cut to size with good scissors. These are great to drop onto the racks, as they stop small veg falling through. They are round, but you can also rectangle ones for ordinary ovens if you search for baking/roasting meshes.
  • Ere-we-go
    Ere-we-go Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, particularly larmy16 on the veggie subject!

I usually cook rice on the hob but find it's either not quite cooked and like little bullets in the middle or over cooked and just mushy. I'll look out for one of those microwave rice pots - but I think I've almost talked myself into a halogen oven, I'm sure it would be more economical than a conventional oven in the long run. A couple of the daily papers are offering a slightly smaller one than the JML for £39.99, providing the offer's still on of course!

Nora
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Speaking as one person, I could not agree more.

I would also add that you can get pizza trays/dishes on ebay that fit the Ho perfectly. And you don't have to put pizzas on them, you can put anything on them. You can get them with or without holes too!

You can also get pizza meshes, which are a non-stick mesh that you can cut to size with good scissors. These are great to drop onto the racks, as they stop small veg falling through. They are round, but you can also rectangle ones for ordinary ovens if you search for baking/roasting meshes.

On the subject of pizza trays, the Morrisons basic one about 89p fits the JML perfectly.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business