PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options
1818283848587»

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I've also just come across a combination halogen, air fry and infra red oven. Does anyone use one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=272395107252&_sacat=0
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Same thing, Feral, halogen oven by another name. Similar to mine at £25 from Amazon.
    Tesco are doing Von Shef 7litre black or white....£32. Looks like prices have gone up for Christmas.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Same thing, Feral, halogen oven by another name. Similar to mine at £25 from Amazon.
    Tesco are doing Von Shef 7litre black or white....£32. Looks like prices have gone up for Christmas.

Think I'll wait until after Xmas then as I'm not in a huge rush to buy one.
  • jaffarlady
    jaffarlady Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 March 2017 at 9:39PM
    Options
    I have had two Halogen Ovens now, and the last one was about 18 months ago. Since then I have bought a good traditional cooker with over, which was a big mistake and cost me a lot of money, I should have known better.

I was pleased with both my Halogen Ovens, one was more expensive than the other, and it does show, you get what you pay for. What I have found out about them is as follow[
    COOKING ABILITY. -] They cook really well, whatever you are cooking and tastes very good.
    LIDS: - This appears to be the most dangerous bit of the cooker, they are extremely hot. There appear to be two types one attached and the other not. Both are dangerous, I read in one brochure that came with mine they should not be used by anyone under 8. Believe me I would not let a child touch one. Before you use one, decide on where you are going to put the lid when you have been cooking. The one with the attached lid, I was worried if I jolted it in anyway I was fearful the lid would fall back down and burn my hand. So decide where you are going to put lit before you start cooking, you will need good oven gloves
    CLEANING - because you are using an oven proof glass, any food which gets stuck burns on and the lid cannot be put in water, so a bit difficult to clean. You need wire wool on it.
    THE GLASS BASE: This is very big, and can be used for all sorts of things (even a punch bowl at Christmas). Finding somewhere to keep the cooker is the biggest problem, but I have a galley kitchen and I manage/
    RUNNING COSTS: - I did check this at the time and most certainly it quite drastically reduced my gas bill
    COOKERY BOOK - Easily available from the likes of Amazon, however, I think i looked at mine once to get some idea of how to use the cooker, and then dumped it, I ended up cooking in my normal way, I simply had to remember to check at periodic intervals as it was much quicker than a normal cooker and I think cooked better. You soon get the hang of it.
    WHAT TO COOK - I didnt find anything i couldn't cook with it, and you most definitely cook a whole meal in it. There are different size Halogen Cookers so buy one that fits your family.
    EQUIPMENT FAILURES - Having had two, I had no equipment failures, other than wear and tear and natural length of time of usage
    ADVICE; Just read the book that comes with it for basic advice, they are all much of a muchness, but I most certainly recommend the cookers. I am going to buy a third. Once you have one, you rarely use your normal cooker. I hope this helps
    FINALLY, when you decide to buy one, there is one rule, what you get is what you pay for, and a better one is likely to last longer, and be better quality, but I am not adverse to buying a cheap one. Then consider the size of your family and the size you will need for the amount of cooking you do. And of course finally how much you are willing to pay for it.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am on my third halogen oven I read you can just get the top part my last one an Andrew James 12 Litre model gave up after just 14 months but it had been dropped on the floor a couple of times so I didn't bother with the 2 year warranty after it wouldn't work when I changed the bulb. One of the easiest I have seen just 4 screws take out the connector and take off the part conected to the bulb I did notice that the one of the 2 wires to the part that stayed connected was frayed but only the outer sheaf. The light came on but it didn't heat up the one I have now is my daughters old one, the first two were 1400W but this is a 1200W and takes a bit longer to cook things.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Moneybagsss
    Options
    My halogen oven has developed a fault - once it reaches operating temperature the bulb starts to rapidly switch on and off, every second or so. Would this indicate a failing bulb, thermostat or some other part?

It's a Delta (Aldi) with a clockwork timer, the timer and fan work ok.

I must have bought it at least 5 years ago and used about 3 times a week since, so it doesn't owe me anything, but if it's repairable I'd like to give it a go.
    Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day.
    But give a man a fishing rod, and he'll sell it and buy alcohol.
  • morgangareth36
    Options
    I have had a HO oven for years.

Best advice I can give is to buy an oven thermometer to put into the bowl, just to get used to the temperature as I use one with a manual clock and temperature.

I just reduce the temperature by 20degrees as for a fan oven.

I also use the extension, I find things cook better with it on.

The only problem is when the light goes. Unless you have technical mind, just by the top from Coopers

Halogen Oven Replacement Lid

£19.99

Do a search for coopersofstortford

If you have a JML cooker, they have a plug in bulb, for their latest cookers.

coopersofstortford
    Before buying check if they sell replacement bulbs, I have been caught with buying things from Aldi, with simple replacements parts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure