PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• CookieDude
    Options
    Just about to buy this and thought I would ask if anyone else has it already and if so how would you rate it?

Russell Hobbs 18537 Halogen Oven
    From amazon

Thanks in advance.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought the Ald! halogen oven today and a chicken to test out in it.

How long should I cook the chicken for, roughly? I do have a meat thermometer but just to get an idea?

Many thanks :)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Obviously depends on size but I would start at 50 minutes and then judge it from there.

Denise
  • lottie3000
    Options
    Thanks Denise for answering all the questions, you've been really helpful as the Aldi book had hardly any help in. It didn't even say how to clean it. It gave a rough idea of meat times but that's it.

I'd also like to know what steak is like cooked in it? Something that we never have at home as I can't cook it!
  • Fruball
    Options
    OK thanks - It's in!
  • lottie3000
    Options
    Fruball, give us an update later please, I want to know how you get on
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the aldi halogen oven, have had for quite a while now and it came with a really good recipe instruction book. Its brilliant for roasting a chicken (or pieces) and so much easier to clean. I found the aldi oven came with a load of pieces which were optional extras with other ovens, like the extension ring and lid stand so all in all it was a bargain.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2014 at 7:43PM
    Options
    I wouldn't use it for cooking steak - much prefer it to be cooked in a frying pan! It's one of the things I usually get DH to cook as he's far better than me at frying things:D.

Just realised you may have meant stewing steak? Apparently you can use it to do stews etc (according to Google) but it's not something I've ever done - I use a slow cooker for those types of things.

Denise
  • Fruball
    Options
    There is either a knack to this halogen oven cooking or I don't like it.

The chicken was 85c on the legs and only 68c in the middle (my guide says it has to be 75c to be safe).

We had the rest of the dinner but no chicken as it needed much longer to cook.

I think I will try cooking longer and on a lower temp next time. I really fancied the idea of a speedily roasted chicken.

What other things are good cooked in this thing because I am starting to regret my purchase! ;)
  • Fredula
    Fredula Posts: 568 Forumite
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    Jacket spuds shouldn't take 2 hours.

!!!!! them all over with a skewer before putting them in the oven and they should be done in just over an hour.

I'm not very good at cooking jackets but whenever I cook them for an hour in the oven they're still a bit hard. Before the days of the halogen over I would cook them in the microwave for a bit then finish them off in the oven, but they still took ages and were wrinkled from the microwave.

Jackets are so much more fluffy and tastier in the halogen. Softer, almost. Lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure