PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options
I keep looking at the adverts for the table-top halogen ovens and I wondered if any of you out has one, and if so what are they like to use. Do they live up to the hype of the adverts?

Comments

• kittykat500
    kittykat500 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Denise

I've had many. In the past I've bought a new one off Ebay, another from a car boot sale and finally one from JML. I love the way the food tastes cooked in them. The only problem I've found is that the heating element does not last! The last one I bought from JML and it failed after 4 months and had to be replaced. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this one will last! On saying that the fan element in my main cooker went quite quickly too.

I now do not use my cooker, just the halogen oven. It gets used every day.
    It does take up some work space, but the JML one is easy to clean and the food tastes great, IMHO.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi.

I see there is a long thread about the Remoska cooker, but I have just become the owner of the JML halogen oven. In an effort to cut down on electricity, I decided to get one of these and so far, the simple things I have done with it have turned out great.

I was wondering if anyone has one and they could pass on any recipes they use. The book it came with had only four recipes. For example, if you do baked potatoes in them, would you time them as in an ordinary oven?

I love this gadget. It seems to live up to the hype of the adverts, but there is not enough information on how to get the best use out of it.

Any other JML owners out there? Sorry mods if this is on wrong board, but did a search and it seems only a few people saying they had one and nothing on how they use it and what for.

Thanks.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Great! Someone else with a halogen oven!

I "acquired" a similar one years ago and have been using it constantly ever since. I tend to use it for smaller items, to save putting the big oven on. Cakes and so on are still done in the "normal" oven. I use it for cheese on toast, pizza, [hm] oven chips, [hm] beefburgers, Poor Knights, etc. I think it makes the best cheese on toast EVER :j
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Hi. Thanks for replying. So far I have used it for a macaroni bake type thing, home made chips, shop bought chips and burgers.

In the advert they show a whole roast dinner done in it. I was just wondering if you time it all as you would using a big oven. Eg. The spuds and carrots obviously wont need as long as the chicken!

Hopefully some other HO owner will come along!:D

• larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »
    Oh Hi. Thanks for replying. So far I have used it for a macaroni bake type thing, home made chips, shop bought chips and burgers.

In the advert they show a whole roast dinner done in it. I was just wondering if you time it all as you would using a big oven. Eg. The spuds and carrots obviously wont need as long as the chicken!

Hopefully some other HO owner will come along!:D

PS Good to hear you said "years ago" as this suggests they last a long time.:)

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DdraigGoch wrote: »
    Poor Knights, :j

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these for a long time. I might get one now. What are poor knights????
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    How much do these cost to run?
  • Lazy_Ike
    Lazy_Ike Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    How much do these cost to run?
    I have the 'NuWave' version infra red Oven, which has an optional extender ring to increase capacity. Been very happy with it since purchase. Use for grilling, roasting and bread baking (Artisan bread in 5mins!). Large chicken (2.2kg/4.8lbs) took 1hr10min on high. First 35-40 minutes 'upside down'. Medium rare beef roast (2.5kg/5.5lbs) first 20 mins on high, then 30mins half power, turn roast, further 40 mins half power. I have made roast, put it to warm, and then roasted potatoes having parboiled first. Baked potatoes turn out excellent, and I really like the fact that there is no preheating. I do a lot of scratch/batch cooking - not in the Infra-red - and freeze portions in freezer to oven to table ware. I can take a couple of portions from freezer, and warm in Infra Red oven from frozen. Cooked meats always succulent and juicy. At full power oven uses 0.741KwH which on my tariff cost 16p/hr on initial charge, or 8p/hr on general charge - this is nothing to do with Economy 7, just I have two tier charging, and use that little electricity seldom get into the second tier.
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, tempted. How long for a couple of jacket potatoes?

JML or nuwave?
  • Lazy_Ike
    Lazy_Ike Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Hmm, tempted. How long for a couple of jacket potatoes?

JML or nuwave?
    8oz potatoes, not par boiled, should take about 45 minutes on full power in Nuwave. However I usually parboil, then 'dry' in nuwave for about 10 minutes, then wipe all around with smidgeon vegetable oil, and bake 15 minute spells, till I think them done, sorry never really taken note of time, and often just take the biggest potatoes I have from bag, not specially bakers. Of course no difference in time no matter how many you are cooking. There are just two of us, and I used to balk at warming the gas oven and using up all that space just for a couple of spuds, but no such problems with infra red cooker.
    The Nuwave has a plastic base into which goes a metal base, and then a rack goes into that base. It has a large clear plastic ring, and the power unit fits to the top of that. The rack is reversable depending on what you want to cook. There is an optional extender plastic ring which comes with a second, smaller metal base and rack. The JML (and others) have a glass bowl instead of the plastic ring. While I have experience of only the Nuwave, SiL has had both - passed Nuwave to DS recently - and was fine with both. I usually line the metal base with foil to reduce washing up. I do find the plastic ring can be a bit of a pfaff to wash, but when there is space I give it a go in the dishwasher.
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport