PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I saw some halogen ovens in Wilkinsons last week, they were roughly £29.

Not sure what make they were or anything, I just spotted a stack of them on my way to the till.
  • craig777
    craig777 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone's interested, JML are currently having a 'free p&p' weekend. I was watching their halogen oven in action earlier today on their shopping channel on sky tv.

I've also visited my mother and borrowed her halogen oven which happens to be a JML, so if I like it after cooking tomorrows lunch, it'll be a good time to order one, as the free p&p will save a fiver!
  • geordie_joe
    Options
    If you get it from Betterware it's always free delivery.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are useful for sterilising jars for bottling
  • casper840
    Options
    The accessory pack is quite useful, I find the perforated steamer tray is also very good for doing oven chips, and unlike a normal oven they don't dry out or go hard if you overcook them.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm really struggling with mine - apart from the stuff I have receipes for, I can't get anything to cook properly - tried to make the 'magic chocolate pudding' today - the one where you put sugar and water on top of the mix and as it cooks it makes a yummy sauce at the bottom - cooked it at 150degrees for 30 mins and it still looked about the same as when I put it in (recipe said 160 degrees for 30-40 mins). What am I doing wrong?
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    I'm really struggling with mine - apart from the stuff I have receipes for, I can't get anything to cook properly - tried to make the 'magic chocolate pudding' today - the one where you put sugar and water on top of the mix and as it cooks it makes a yummy sauce at the bottom - cooked it at 150degrees for 30 mins and it still looked about the same as when I put it in (recipe said 160 degrees for 30-40 mins). What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong - they are tricky to get used to. I'm terrible really, as I tend not to time things, so guessestimate a lot!!!!! But, because the oven heats so quickly, if I have underestimated, it gets turned back on again as it soon gets to temparature. Or, if I think something is cooking too quickly I turn it down, and put a either foil or the non stick stuff you bake on (you need to weight it down, or it blows around). It helps that you can see what you are cooking through the glass. Most things don't cook more quickly, but because you are not using the same wattage as conventional oven, for same amount of time, that is where the saving is coming from.
    I haven't done a lot of cakes or puddings with mine. Did some scones, but turned them over half way through.
    I did buy a download recipe book, but haven't got around to using it yet, as I am having to use meals that I cooked and froze. I need to get some stuff out of SIL's large freezer, as she has just bought a small one - lives on her own.
  • craig777
    craig777 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone use the 'Flavourwave Turbo' as advertised on the 'Thane Direct' channel?? (I love watching this, coz 'Mr T' (A-Team) is on there selling it, he makes me laugh!)

I notice this one uses infrared as well as halogen to cook, just wondered if it would make much difference having infrared? Would it cook food quicker?

Still using my mother's JML halogen oven at the moment and becoming more and more of a fan. Cooked a nice pork leg joint, roast potatoes and yorkshire puds today with excellent result, but will have to invest in my own eventually... just gotta decide which one! lol
  • SharonBugs
    Options
    We juts bought the Proletrix from Wilkinson today for GB28.00, tried it out on cheese toast. It's ok. It took 10 minutes at highest 250C. It's not as quick as my friend raved about her JML and tho cheese melted but it didn't brown. I had to stop it coz the cheese was already melting to the point of becoming oil. The edge of the bread did brown slighty, with a crunch.

I too, am also wondering if there's any difference, which explains the price difference? The Proletrix one we bought seemed very basic, only got 2 dials- temp and timer. There is nothing in the manual that said anything about self cleaning, instead it mention wash bowl in soapy water.

I can't see how the halogen can cook anything from frozen....again, is this something only infra red ones can do?

I can't help but to think maybe I have not got the good deal I thought I did today at GB28.00 LOL!

I do alot of batch freezing, so I bought it in hope to replace the microwave.

SharonBugs.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    craig777 wrote: »
    Anyone use the 'Flavourwave Turbo' as advertised on the 'Thane Direct' channel??

I notice this one uses infrared as well as halogen to cook, just wondered if it would make much difference having infrared? Would it cook food quicker?

Mine is the Flavourwave Platinum (digital controls) The infra red is said to cook from the inside out. As you can see from my post above, I am still struggling with mine, but it does cook meat beautifully - I've done some pork chops topped with stuffing in it tonight, and they come out moist and tender but browned. Chicken is the same (it's just the bread and cakes and puddings I can't do - must be good for my diet though :rotfl: )
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport