PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just been in the kitchen and discovered that either of the two free racks you get with the JML are ideal for putting the top on. So if you are not using one of them to cook, use it to put the lid on.
  • Topdogfran
    Options
    Update - found a recipe for French Toast (aka eggy bread) which can be baked in the halogen oven - yummy for breakfast this morning :)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After reading this thread I've got one on my 'list of things to buy' :rotfl:

The other day I bought a Pizza Maker Oven, which I'd had on my list for a couple of months. I always found my pizzas ended up with a soggy base. I know I could have bought a baking stone, but it's quicker heating this up than heating up the oven. I used it last night and got a big thumbs up for the pizzas, so I'm pleased I bought it. I'm sure a halogen oven will be the same! I presume with the JML you can get the extension ring too like with the Coopers of Stortford one?
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    I'm sure a halogen oven will be the same! I presume with the JML you can get the extension ring too like with the Coopers of Stortford one?

I have the extension ring and use it lots. The other night I had roasties in a dush on the bottom and a pork dish on the rop rack with the extension and it worked fine.

To be honest. I use mine almost every day including for baking bread, cakes and puddings.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mudgekin wrote: »
    I have the extension ring and use it lots. The other night I had roasties in a dush on the bottom and a pork dish on the rop rack with the extension and it worked fine.

To be honest. I use mine almost every day including for baking bread, cakes and puddings.

I checked on the JML site, but it doesn't mention an extension ring coming with the oven, or being sold as an additional accessory :confused:
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    That is weird as mine definately came from there as an additional extra. I think it was about £5 and has been a boon. To be honest I think I would find it hard to cook multiple layers of dishes without it.

I even checked the bookmark that I had for the page and it comes up as a paage now known :mad:
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Reporting on my first full meal - baked pots with grilled chicken (and salad on the side). Baked pots took ages (wrapped in foil and cooked as per instructions - 30-40 mins). Ended up finishing them off in the microwave even after an hour in table top oven :( Think I'll do them the other way round in future - start them off in the microwave and finish in the table top.
    The chicken however, was beautiful. Probably should have turned it half way through, but breasts cooked from frozen in 26 mins, there was some nice browning on the top, and the rest was juicy and succulent. Can't wait to cook a whole bird like this.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • fifi_folle_2
    Options
    I bought a halogen oven a couple of weeks ago and am struggling to get used to it for cakes and bread especially. I either burn them before they're cooked through or they take ages to bake when I turn the temperature down. I've tried making a tin-foil tent over my cake but it still takes ages to bake through- much longer than a normal oven. Does anyone have any helpful hints?
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fifi_folle wrote: »
    I bought a halogen oven a couple of weeks ago and am struggling to get used to it for cakes and bread especially. I either burn them before they're cooked through or they take ages to bake when I turn the temperature down. I've tried making a tin-foil tent over my cake but it still takes ages to bake through- much longer than a normal oven. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

I don't have anything useful to say, except try a temperature mid way between burning and cooking too slow. Also try adjusting the timing.
  • jinnyn_2
    jinnyn_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Cook everything 20degrees celcius lower. My oven is gas and I do
    Gas 1-halogen 120. Gas 2= H 130. Gas 3= H150. G 4= H 160. G 5= H 170 G 6= H 180. G 7= H200. G 8= H210. G 8= H 220. I've had my halogen oven for 3 weeks and I think it's brilliant. I cooked yorkshire puds, small cakes, casseroles (in casserole dish) on low rack. I've cooked breakfast (bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and egg on top rack on frying plate that I received with my oven. Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport