PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• *moggins*
    Options
    Please help? I have treated myself to one of these, sort of as a treat and partly because my gas bill is horrendous and I thought it might help a bit.

Whoever wrote the recipe book for it obviously speaks english as a second language and it is incomprehensible! I can manage to understand the instruction manual (slightly better written) but I don't want this to become a 'gadget' that I never use because I don't know how.

What exactly can I cook in it? Do we have a thread anywhere that someone can point me too? It says I can bake cakes in it, do I put them into a normal cake tin and then place them inside the oven on one of the racks and which one, the short one or the taller one?

Also stews etc, I'm sure I've seen these advertised with stews, do I just chuck it all straight in the pot ? Do I need to brown meat first? As you can see I need a complete lesson in how to use one of these things!!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Try this - table top halogen ovens ;) I'll merge these 2 threads later.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • *moggins*
    *moggins* Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Pen ;)
  • irishwexford
    Options
    I am getting used to my JLM halogen oven from Asda. Worried about lack of cook book but found a site where a forum discussed cooking with these. I read to cook as you would in a oven but knock 20 off temp. I had to do this with my fan oven anyway so just decided to get on with it. I cooked fish yesterday on foil using the large rack and then a fruit crumble. Tuesday cooked lamb steaks, all meals a great success. I am just treating it like a normal oven but without the high cost. My electric monitor shows the savings. Veggies are steamed so far but may try wrapping in foil and putting in with meat. Its a bit of a bind getting it out each time but am getting used to that. I average about £1 per day on electricity now (without the standing charge of course). I have two whole chickens and a joint of beef in freezer so will do roast potatoes as well when I do these. Loosing your fear of the thing takes some doing but it does work very well.;)
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just received the Flavorwave Platinum I ordered from Ebay (ex demo model ;)). Can anyone suggest a simple, easy (preferably sweet) recipe I can start off with?
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • spal123
    spal123 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    can you put JML lid down on work surface?
    It looks like the rim is a tiny bit lower than the hot metal bit inside but only just!
    Does the metal bit touch, or come close enough to do any damage to a cheap kitchen work surface?
    It didn't come with a stand and the manual did not say not to but still........:confused:
  • irishwexford
    Options
    I put a towel on worktop when using oven and put lid on this. Have to say I am using oven for all dishes I would cook in fan oven. shepherds pie came out a treat. Found out that JML have a shopping programme on sky tv where they show you how to use these ovens, she is recording this for me which should be a big help as I feel I could do more with it. Have not used my fan oven since I purchesed this.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spal123 wrote: »
    can you put JML lid down on work surface?
    It looks like the rim is a tiny bit lower than the hot metal bit inside but only just!
    Does the metal bit touch, or come close enough to do any damage to a cheap kitchen work surface?
    It didn't come with a stand and the manual did not say not to but still........:confused:

I put mine on an old shelf from a hifi unit and it hasn't damaged it yet. I only leave it on there for the minimum amount of time and put it back on the oven as soon as the food is out.

The only regret I have about buying the jml oven is not buying the lid rack at the same time. Can't remember the price, but I'm sure they were only around a fiver.
  • spal123
    spal123 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    have just found out you can catch the rim of JML oven lid on edge of glass bowl and it sits there!
    it actually seems pretty stable like this.
    bit odd looking as may have hot metal pointing at your hand as you reach in but going to try it and see how it goes.
    has anyone watched the 30 minute advert on QVC to see if this is what they do?
    Don't want to break the halogen bulb - but it looks ok to me!
  • bohma2000
    Options
    I've got an Elitech which comes with an extension piece which makes an ideal resting place for the lid (when you are not using it for cooking) as it is designed so that the lid fits on it perfectly. I don't know if the JML oven comes with one of these or not? Failing this, any suitable wire rack or Pyrex bowl should do the trick.

I must say that since I have bought this oven I have not used my normal electric oven and food tastes so much better and it is so much quicker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport