PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• jinnyn_2
    jinnyn_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my halogen oven on Ideal world (channel 22 on freeview). It cost me 44.99 and it's brilliant. I received an extension ring, a frying plate, a steaming plate, a high rack, a low rack and a pair of tongs all inclusive. They have none at the moment but they will be getting them back. You can keep an eye open on their website. My oven also has a lid that is hinged onto the base so there is no problem finding somewhere to put it. I have had it 3 weeks and I haven't used my main oven since. I have cooked steak, chicken, joints of meat, casseroles, mince and dumplings, cakes, pies, pizza and breakfast. I just cooked them the same as in my main oven using the temperatures as above.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cooked some home made naan breads in mine today - total guess work, but pre heated the frying plate on max, then cooked 2 naans at a time for 2-3 mins each side, turning when browned - mine were maybe a bit thick and more like oven bottom muffins <G> but family came back for more!
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • bohma2000
    Options
    I have found that you need to drastically alter your temperatures and cooking times when using these ovens.

For example, I cooked some frozen battered cod last night. According to the instructions on the packet I should have used, for a preheated fan oven, 220 degrees C and cooked for 30 minutes. I set my tabletop cooker for 150 C for 15 minutes and they came out perfectly and much more succulent than from my normal electric oven - and I did not have to preheat it!

I have done some web browsing regarding halogen cookers and the general consensus seems to be that you use them just as you would use a normal fan oven but reduce the temperature by 20 degrees.

In my experience this results in the food being overcooked. I get the best results by lowering the temperature by about 50 degrees and also by lowering the cooking time by about one third e.g. 200 degrees to 150 degrees and 30 minutes to around 15 - 20 minutes.

I'm not sure if this applies to *all* halogen ovens but it does seem to apply to my Elitech oven.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried to do some chicken thighs in a jar of Chicken tonight sauce yesterday - disaster! I put it on for 30 mins @ 180 degrees - still raw, another 20 mins, still pink juices. Eventually bunged it in the microwave for another 10 mins....... Begining to think it might be better at joints etc rather than stews.....
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did a bread & butter pudding last night - 150, but still browned a bit too quick, so had to cover the top. Certainly take quite a lot of getting used to. Made some scones, and turned them over half way through cooking.

I think I would have been tempted to part cook the chicken portions for 10 mins or so, and then added the sauce.
  • jinnyn_2
    Options
    When I cook cakes and puddings I use my extender ring which brings the heat further away so they don't brown so quick. I agree I would have part cooked the chicken before cooking in the sauce also. I've experimented with different things but I have still not used my big cooker since buying my halogen one. I think it's marvellous!
  • craig777
    Options
    I'm itching to get myself one of these halogen ovens!

How many different version are out there?

I know QVC, Idealworld and JML do them, but any others worth considering?
  • jinnyn_2
    Options
    I bought mine from ideal world and it was the best price I could find. It's one of the best things that I have ever bought!
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got mine from ideal world. You got the extender ring with it in the price. about £44 ish
  • bohma2000
    Options
    Elitech on Bid TV. Normally go for around £25, including P&P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills