We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• banwoir
    Options
    November 25th 2008. Like many of you I found 'in the small print' that I had signed up to pay 8 pounds a month, everybody hates stealth charging like this, its no better than theft. Luckily I had the so called 15 discount voucher I had printed off on this there was a phone number to call, you can cancel your membership on this automatically. The number is 08082341539 and is open Mon - Fri 8-8 and Sat 9 - 4. This only cost me 8 pounds and I have put it down to experience, hopefully the more posts people make on sites like this the less bad websites like ShopperDiscountsAndRewards.co.uk will make out of the British public. Shame on your Shopperdiscounts, I think I speak for many when I say I hope you go bust in this economic climate.
  • sandbank50
    Options
    i had the samen prob when igot flights from B MI BABY
  • devillishdeb
    Options
    Also mymemory.co.uk is offering a free 15pound cashback voucher which when clicked on goes to the shopper disc page for registration!
  • jools0001
    Options
    Today I had petplanet.co.uk try to sucker me into the Shopper Discounts & Rewards scam with a £15 voucher. The form did ask for my credit card details which was when I stopped and read the details a bit more closely and realised just in time they were going to try to sting me for £10/month.

Even so, I'll be emailing Pet Planet to suggest they disassociate themselves from such a disreputable scheme before their customers take their loyalty elsewhere.
  • BigNige
    BigNige Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but at the risk of being lynched by the ensuing hate mob... I have to say that I dealt with Shopper Discounts & Rewards previously.

I signed up through Expedia.co.uk when I booked a hotel room. I knowingly signed up for a 1 month free trial then knew that after this trial I would be charged £8 per month thereon in until I cancelled.

They offered £15 cashback offer on my next Expedia booking - which I did and received a £15 cheque from them 2 weeks later

I then spent £700 on a laptop in PC World (through the site) and 3 weeks letter received a £20 cheque from them as the affiliate reward.

I cancelled my membership after the free trial and did not get charged a penny. I have received emails from them throughout, showing my balance and my account details and showing clear unsubscribe instructions.

I called them today after reading this thread cos I was worried that they had done the same to me but I got straight through to their customer services on 0808 234 1539, after waiting only 1 minute (not 40)

I am a big fighter of injustice against consumers (I recently got £40 back from emuisc, who had continued to bill me even though I had cancelled the membership, ditto Lovefilm), but I am wondering whether I have been extremely lucky with this outfit or something!

lol
    Total Reclaimed from banks and credit cards so far: £14139 :T
    Amount outstanding £550 :beer:
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    These guys sent me a 15 pound cheque for no apparent reason. It looked real but my bank is refusing to cash it apparently

Do they operate some sort of scam where you cash the cheque and then they take money out of the account with fake direct debits ?
  • BigNige
    BigNige Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Just to confirm, I received a £15 and £20 cheque from them and both were cashed without issue. It sounds like I am working for the company (which I am not!) or defending what they have done with others (which I am not)

Seems weird that everything was fine in my dealings with them.

I have a good friend who works high up in the legal department at one of Shopper Discounts & Rewards affiliate clients. If you want me to pass on any of your complaints directly I am happy to do so and give him a heads up
    Total Reclaimed from banks and credit cards so far: £14139 :T
    Amount outstanding £550 :beer:
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shoppers D&R are crawling out of everywhere, from trainline to interflora. theres plenty posted around MSE regarding them, they also go under the name Vista Rewards and VP rewards. They use stealth to get your details (which the online company theyre attached to, happily forward them your bank details for you).
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • robyt
    Options
    I have been also debited 10£ on my account and have recently made a purchase with Interflora.I remember been offered a discount for next purchase but no mention to this 'shopper discount' bull****.have just sent them an email as am unable to get to them via phone.hopefully they will get back to me otherwise I will go directly to Interflora.thanks to all for your notes.you made my life easier.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    I spoke to my bank about this cheque and they now say they will cash it, not sure what the problem was with it but I'll phone up these discount guys and see how they got my details and advise them not to take any money off me for whatever it is they do.

I presume that puts me in the clear, my bank says no direct debits have been setup by this company on my account so Im in the clear there but I guess its harder to stop them using my debit card though I recently changed its details
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport