We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• astobart
    Options
    I discovered 8 of these £8. charges from shopper discounts last week. I immediately phoned my Bank to cancel any further payments but they were unable to do anything. I emailed Shopper Discount cancelling my so called account and demanded a refund of all payments. I threatened leagal action through the small claims courts if I did not have my money within 1 week. 4 days later I had my refund. I think the main thing is to mention that you have not given them your Bank details and have not authorised the payments. They obtain your details from a 3rd party which must be fraudulent.

AStobart
  • iandar
    Options
    I have just canceled my payments but forgot to ask for a refund! Chap on phone told me I would receive a email and I have, telling me it is canceled I have noticed that I can still use the discounts, but have now found that the link to there web site fails! I wonder why! I feel like I have been had, will watch out in the future.

Thanks for this thread and the comments.
  • PST
    PST Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I have just discovered today that my credit card statement contained an £8.00 charge and when I phoned the number (08082341539 - advised this is a free number from land line) I was advised I signed up 5 months ago through an Easyjet site (probably as I had purchased some tickets in May) I was advised I had been paying this amount each month for 5 months (I had not noticed as it was a small amount). I complained and indicated I had not knowingly signed up for this. I was advised the full amount would be credited to my account - I will have to wait and see. I have checked on the website as when you phone the number you are given a password for the site after you give your details and my membership has been cancelled.

What a cheek - Easyjet should be taken to task for being involved

Regards

Paul
  • Morgy1201
    Options
    I to discovered £8 taken from my husband's account for the past 2 months. My husband bought a Sling Box from their UK website! I telephoned Shopper Discounts (we live in the Middle East) and following the advice of Chipmonk 13 from the above blogs, I cancelled my husband's account with them and asked for a refund of all payments. The gentleman (Redouan) accepted my request immediately and informed me the refund would be in my husband's account with in 10 working days. I am amazed he even talked to me particularly when I am not named on his account !!
  • silverspender
    Options
    I too discovered this £8 a month coming from our account. Both my husband & I thought it was something the other one had signed up to, and by the time we realised, we had paid £64 for 'membership'! We called the number given above and to begin with they only offered us one month's refund. A bit more talking however and a referral to a supervisor and they have agreed to refund the whole lot. Both ladies were polite but insistant they were not a scam company and had thousands of satisfied customers. The company seems to be worldwide and I wonder how many '£8's' a month they get from people who do not realise what is happening. It is companies like this that bring internet shopping into disrepute.
  • angrychick
    Options
    Well, after discovering a couple of weeks ago that I had unwittingly made 7 monthly payments to Shopper Discounts, I immediately called them to cancel and try and get my money back. I was unsuccessful at getting my money back in the first instance, they just claimed that they had sent me membership details by email and post.

However, after reading all these posts I decided to try again and called up this morning. This time I told them that I was signed up without realising when I booked a holiday through Expedia, that I had not at any point given my credit card details or authorised these transactions, and they offered to refund 6 of my payments practically straight away. But that wasn't good enough for me - I wanted all 7 back so I asked why they wouldn't refund me all 7 payments. They claimed it was their policy to only refund 6 payments when they have "sent" the documentation out.

So I told them that I was aware of others who had been offered a full refund and they agreed (as a "goodwill gesture"!!!!!!!!:rotfl: ) to refund me the full amount. So keep at them, they will relent in the end (probably because they know they haven't got a leg to stand on!).

Oh, and the other thing they said was that I would have had to input my credit card details again when I signed up to them through Expedia. This is NOT true!!!! But seen as I was well on my way to get my refund, I wasn't going to argue!

I also sent a letter to Expedia a couple of weeks ago asking for an explanation as to why they associated themselves with such a rogue trader and pointed out that it was not very good for customer loyalty!!! Anyway, unsurprisingly, I have yet to receive a response. Next time I book a £2,000 holiday, it certainly won't be with them!!!
  • The_Vindicator
    Options
    Earlier this month I was duped in to signing up for this service through AllPosters.co.uk with the offer of a £15 rebate and the £10 per month on future orders. Thought it was too good to be true and after reading this thread i've realised it is and quickly canceled my account,

Thanks MSE for saving future troubles, on a high note i've allready recieved my £15 cheque before the first monthly payment was taken. lets see how they like somone taking their money for a change.

Vindi
  • hoskar100
    Options
    Yep , I too have been duped by the offer of discounts, but I think my details ended up with shopperdiscounts from trainline, the online booking agent.
    GRRR , hopefully, I can stop any more debits being taken from my account.
  • liza83_2
    Options
    I had the problem with Vista prink i ordered a "free" stamp and paid for the postage got the stamp and a month later £9.95 came out of my cc.
    I didnt have a clue what it was so rang the number assosiated with it and it was vista print saying i had signed up to be a member. and must of clicked to join after ordereing my free stamp which i did not! I told them this and they said i would have had an email sent to me... nope no emails sent.
    I asked for them to cancel it and refund me and they refused and hung up on me! so i went through my cc and complained through them that vistaprint had taken the money without my consent. got the money back about 10 days later :)
    getting married 12/3/09
    wedding fund £2,000.
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    I have just recognised this problem today as well! I had thought that the £9.95 on my credit card statement was my subscription to Ancestry (although I did have a sneaking suspicion I had cancelled that because I wasn't using it much this year:o ) but went on to use Ancestry today and could not as I was not paying my subscription!!!!!

Turns out that I got "signed on" to a company called Premier Club (CLUB.PREM on the credit card details) without knowingly agreeing to it whilst I was taking some "free" business cards from Vistaprint!

I have been MOST unpleasant (:A ) to the representatives of both Companies to whom I spoke today:D . No shouting or swearing, just telling them that they are well aware that they are working for a bunch of crooks and that I for one would rather starve before I sold my soul to a fraudulent Company:D . I told "little Miss Innocent" at Premier Club that she should be ashamed of herself and that the fact that she sounded so unfased whilst telling me how I had been signed up was an indication that her own morals and integrity were as lacking as those of her Company. I offered her a jar of Horlicks :D and said she must get through a lot of it in trying to sleep at night:D .

Made me feel better, and I am getting a refund! Have also spoken to my credit card Company who are well aware of the scams - but are unable to stop it happening although they claim that they have reported this repeatedly!

Will be paying off this months bill with that particular credit card and closing it I think! Just in case:D
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family