[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• crobbo_2
    Options
    Hi All

I found this site by searching for information reference Shopper Discount, I have also been ripped off by this scam as well. :mad:

Most of my Banking is via the Internet and only recently spotted that £8.00 had been taken from my bank. I contacted my Bank via the landline which is quite rare for me as an internet banker. I then found out that “Shopper Discount” had been taking £8.00 since May 2008.

My story is the same as others here, but I'm not sure who forwarded my details as of yet. When I find out who was responsible I will add their name to the list in this thread. As the companies mentioned I have not used.
    :rolleyes:

• jomccallum
    Options
    Hi Just thought I would add to this as i have just found a charge on my husbands account and traced it to this company. I wanted to add the mane of the website i think i was scamed by - it must have been from a hotel booking with expedia.com. I am outraged and will be ringing tomorrow to get a refund.

Thanks for all the previous messages about this, my husband works away alot so i have to deal with this stuff - at least i now know what to do to sort it out.
  • crobbo_2
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]I phoned this telephone number: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]0808 234 1539[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and spoke to an operator who told me that I will receive a full refund with-in the next 10 working days. I also contacted my bank who had put a stop on my card to re-issue me new details. The information was passed onto my banks fraud protection dept. I was told that they were currently directly dealing with Shopper Discount and so far the bank has refunded me £8.00

That's a good start and I wait for the full refund, I will keep you all informed. :j
    [/FONT]
  • chipmunk13
    Options
    Just to let you know, I to was caught out by this scam and having read this forum for help and advise, I called the number suggested in one of the posts, 0808 234 1539
    Spoke to a well mannered lady who was happy to cancel my membership and refund my money, no hassle, no questions, other that a few security ones.
    Money will apparently be refunded in the next 10 days.

Thank you MSE members for the info!

:D
  • kshop
    Options
    I have found out how they get people's card details. What happened with me was that I ordered an item from Misco and during the sales process they asked if I wanted a £10 discount of my next order. I accepted their offer and so they passed my details onto Shopper Discount.
    So if offered any discount vouchers check the small print.
  • mirandahayes
    Options
    Hi

I just noticed that i had been paying since April - went on their automated service, cancelled the payments, automatically got a refund of current month, then held on to speak to an operator who, when I told them that I was not aware of making payments or receiving any emails from them they immediately arranged a refund all of the money collected since April with no battle whatsoever.

Result! Mandi
  • angrychick
    Options
    i'm so glad i found this forum, i just thought it was me being a bit of a muppet! stupidly, i hadn't noticed the £8 shopper discount membership fee being charged to my credit card for 7 whole months! as soon as i realised i contacted shopper discount who were of no help - implying it was my fault because i didnt read the small print when i was redirected to their website. what basically happened was that when i booked my holiday through expedia, i got a £10 cashback offer which when i clicked on it i went through the shopper discounts. totally unaware that my credit card details were then passed on to shopper discounts, i ended up paying the £8 monthly membership fee. what a scam! i cant believe i got caught out! anyway, i was thinking there was nothing i could do about it until i read this forum and realised that i hadnt actually authorised for my credit card details to be passed on to shopper discounts. i have now contacted my credit card company and they are hopefully going to get this sorted out, fingers crossed! thanks to everyone on this forum who has made me realise it was not me being stupid but a scam which can easily catch anyone out. think that will be the last time i book anything with expedia! and i'll certainly be keeping a closer eye on my credit card statements from now on!!!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The least such reputable companies such as Expedia or Interflora if not to keep a good name, is to sever the companies relationship. It has to be stopped, because its spreading like wildfire, if you imagine just how many people are still "unaware", the profits have got to be staggering, its not suprising they would wish for the victims to discuss it more "discreetly" than have it plastered on such an open and public forum.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • rehmen18
    Options
    I too have had this problem.....
    I probably would not have normally noticed, but im pregnant and out of work at the mo so i have no money going into my bank account, we are using my husbands... so i thought it was strange that suddenly i had an £8 charge and could not remember buying anything within the last week, especially not on my card. I phoned the free number and i was told i had knowingly signed up for the direct debit when i had clicked to receive a free £10 shopping voucher after purchasing products from a totally different site!!! I have to say i ended up having to get quite mad with the woman on the phone... until she agreed to cancel my membership and refund the money. Blatantly they have no leg to stand on otherwise they would not be refunding money. They are very sly and are just hoping nobody will notice the sneaky £8 coming out of our accounts. It doesnt actually come off until you have had your 30 day free trial so its all forgotten about!!! Hmmm very deceiving i would never have set up a direct debit on an account which contained no money!!!!!!
    Had i not checked my bank.... which there was no real need for me to do i would have been in my overdraft within a few months and be getting bank charges also on top of this.
    I purchased products off both vistaprint and allposters.com so who is the culprit i am unsure.... but iw ill definitely be checking my statements more often!!!!

Hope this helps
    here is the number again
    0808 234 1539
    Get your money abck its a big scam!!!!! :mad:
  • Alfanbet
    Options
    I too fell into the trap when I found a £8 charge on my bank statement.
    Searching Google, I found this thread, so contacted Mary O'Reilly, and this was her reply :-
    Dear xxxxxx:
    Thank you for contacting us so that we could address your concerns about your Shopper Discount & Rewards membership. We located your membership, cancelled it and processed a refund of the membership charge as you requested. This refund should appear shortly in your account depending upon how frequently your credit card issuer posts transactions. You will not be billed again.

We'd like to take this opportunity to address your concerns about how the membership was initiated. Our records show that on September 14, 2008, after completing a transaction on <A title="blocked::http://www.k/ blocked::http://www.interflora.co.uk/ http://www.interflora.co.uk/&quot; href="http://www.k/">[SIZE=+0]www.saverstore.com , you were shown a banner on the Saverstore.com confirmation page which read, "Your purchase is complete. Click here to claim your £10 Cash Back Reward on your next purchase". By clicking on this banner, you would have been taken to the Shopper Discounts & Rewards page. On this page, you were offered a 30-day Shopper Discounts & Rewards trial membership and a £10 Cash Back Reward, which you accepted. You agreed to the trial membership by entering your email address twice and then clicked the "YES" button on the page. Immediately to the left of the "YES" button the "Offer and Billing Details" in connection with the offer were displayed. The Offer and Billing Details explained that you would be billed on the credit card you had just provided. Immediately above the boxes where you entered your email address was the statement: [/SIZE]

"By entering my email address as my electronic signature and clicking "YES," I have read and agree to the Offer and Billing Details and authorise Saverstore to securely transfer my name, address and credit or debit card information to Shopper Discounts and Rewards for billing and benefit processing. I understand the first 30 days of benefits are free and I will be billed £8 a month thereafter on the card I used at Saverstore today"
    Thus by accepting the offer, you agreed that Shopper Discounts & Rewards service would be billed to the card you had just provided. Immediately after clicking the "YES' button, you were taken to another screen welcoming you to the programme. This page plainly and explicitly advised you that you had just joined Shopper Discounts & Rewards. Within approximately 10 minutes, you were sent an email welcoming you to Shopper Discounts & Rewards and explaining how to access your membership. We will send you copies of these documents in a separate email. We sent you five more emails from September 15 through October 14, 2008 with details of the membership. If you would like us to also send you copies of these emails, let us know.

We hope this resolves the matter to your satisfaction and helps to clarify how the Shopper Discounts & Rewards membership was initiated. If you have questions or need further assistance regarding this matter, please let us know.
    Regards,

Mary O'Reilly
    Webloyalty.com Consumer Affairs
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards
    [EMAIL="consumeraffairs&#64;webloyalty.com"]consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com[/EMAIL]

Dear xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting us so that we could address your concerns about your Shopper Discount & Rewards membership. We located your membership, cancelled it and processed a refund of the membership charge as you requested. This refund should appear shortly in your account depending upon how frequently your credit card issuer posts transactions. You will not be billed again.

We'd like to take this opportunity to address your concerns about how the membership was initiated. Our records show that on September 14, 2008, after completing a transaction on <A title="blocked::http://www.k/ blocked::http://www.interflora.co.uk/ http://www.interflora.co.uk/&quot; href="http://www.k/">[SIZE=+0]www.saverstore.com , you were shown a banner on the Saverstore.com confirmation page which read, "Your purchase is complete. Click here to claim your £10 Cash Back Reward on your next purchase". By clicking on this banner, you would have been taken to the Shopper Discounts & Rewards page. On this page, you were offered a 30-day Shopper Discounts & Rewards trial membership and a £10 Cash Back Reward, which you accepted. You agreed to the trial membership by entering your email address twice and then clicked the "YES" button on the page. Immediately to the left of the "YES" button the "Offer and Billing Details" in connection with the offer were displayed. The Offer and Billing Details explained that you would be billed on the credit card you had just provided. Immediately above the boxes where you entered your email address was the statement: [/SIZE]

"By entering my email address as my electronic signature and clicking "YES," I have read and agree to the Offer and Billing Details and authorise Saverstore to securely transfer my name, address and credit or debit card information to Shopper Discounts and Rewards for billing and benefit processing. I understand the first 30 days of benefits are free and I will be billed £8 a month thereafter on the card I used at Saverstore today"
    Thus by accepting the offer, you agreed that Shopper Discounts & Rewards service would be billed to the card you had just provided. Immediately after clicking the "YES' button, you were taken to another screen welcoming you to the programme. This page plainly and explicitly advised you that you had just joined Shopper Discounts & Rewards. Within approximately 10 minutes, you were sent an email welcoming you to Shopper Discounts & Rewards and explaining how to access your membership. We will send you copies of these documents in a separate email. We sent you five more emails from September 15 through October 14, 2008 with details of the membership. If you would like us to also send you copies of these emails, let us know.

We hope this resolves the matter to your satisfaction and helps to clarify how the Shopper Discounts & Rewards membership was initiated. If you have questions or need further assistance regarding this matter, please let us know.
    Regards,

Mary O'Reilly
    Webloyalty.com Consumer Affairs
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards
    [EMAIL="consumeraffairs&#64;webloyalty.com"]consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com[/EMAIL]

So although it's a bit underhanded, DO read the small print !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure