PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

how old is your ironing board ?

Options

Comments

• aurorahelios
    Options
    I went out and bought a new one last year.

Before that I was using an old one I'd inherited from a relative, but standing ironing one day I looked at the plate and thought thats asbestos- which wouldn't have been too bad because asbestos is only dangerous when the fibres are released, but there was also a crack right through the plate so it probably was releasing asbestos fibres into the air. Fortunately I don't iron much, but it still makes me shudder to think the family may have been exposed to asbestos.

So please be careful with asbestos boards, if they get damaged they can be dangerous.
  • Bored_Housewife
    Options
    I found this link bc I googled old ironing boards.

I have my mums, which since she died, i have put into our storage unit. I have been wondering what to do with it.

They were married in 1955 and bought the board then. It is metal, collapsible, extremely heavy and has what looks like an asbestos iron stand. The metal is red.

What i find funny is that the board is soooo narrow and short compared to newer boards.

I was hoping to find some sort of museum to give the board to, that is why i was googling in the first place but so far nothing has cropped up.

Looks like it will be inherited by my daughter at some stage.
  • empy
    empy Posts: 325 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning all, my ironing board is only a baby 3-4 years old! I bought it for £10.00 in a woolworths sale. I only iron on an as need basis, so apart from the cover it is still in goodish condition lol.
    I would love a wooden one, I remember my mum having one years ago, going all nostalgic now.
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August £250/ £103.44 left
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Oh well...if we are going to do piccies....:rotfl:

2008_0221NewCamera0002.jpg

(Don't you just love the 1970's duvet cover material!!)

Just had a little lookee at the iron stand bit and it has the same sort of stuff that yours has Rikki. Do you think we might die of asbestos-related ironing...:rotfl:

I remember my gran having an ironing board like that in the early 60s with thick blue asbestos on the iron stand.
    I was only about 5 or 6 and would sit underneath the iron end and scrape the asbestos and watch as it fell in a cloud all about me.I used to be covered in the stuff.
    No one realised the danger then.
    So far I'm still alive :D but although I'm making light of it I should'nt realy my dad did die from asbestos so it is dangerous.
  • missychrissy
    Options
    i remember my mum having one of those ironing boards when I was a child.
    I still have my ironing board that I bought when I got married in 1972 so must be 37 years old. It's had about 3 new covers. Hung onto the ironing board but got rid of the husband!
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine is 18 years old and was bought from the freemans catalogue because I couldn't afford to pay for it outright.

It's had one new cover and is as good as new.
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Think my ironing board is older than me! (24) Wouldn't change it though, just replace the cover when needed, I've had it 8 years myself!

:D
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • jonny2510
    jonny2510 Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been wondering whether to change ours.

It's exactly three years old (well in the next 2 weeks anyway), and ever since the DW put the cover through the wash, it has been really loose, which makes ironing on it a pain.

I figured there are two options - buy a new ironing board from Mr Ts (approx £8-£13), or buy a cover (which may not fit porperly) for approx £4-5

What do people think, do these replacement covers fit snug, or are they never as good as a new ironing board with included cover???
  • Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    This thread made me laugh out loud! My ironing board was my mums and she's had it as long as I remember........and I'm em 32! But it's much studier than any new one I've had, even the expensive one I got as a wedding present (now with teh ex as ironing was the only household chore he would do :rotfl:). It's got a new clean cover and a heat resistant pad and a red wooden bead stuck on the height adjustment handle as the original fell off. wouldnt change it either!
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
  • Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    jonny2510 wrote: »
    What do people think, do these replacement covers fit snug, or are they never as good as a new ironing board with included cover???

I've found it depends on the ironing board. If its a strudy frame it should be fine but I've found that the covers slip on some of the newer ones with the wire mesh although you can usually fix than by strapping the sides together underneath with elastic or heavy duty thread.
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure