PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how old is your ironing board ?

Options

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »

Just had a little lookee at the iron stand bit and it has the same sort of stuff that yours has Rikki. Do you think we might die of asbestos-related ironing...:rotfl:

Yours looks much more sturdy than mine...but mine can still give a hefty whack on the shins when putting it up! Still wouldn't swap it though!

No [strike]we[/strike] I will be fine, you have to iron regularly to get affected. :rotfl:

Yep I've had one or two bruises from mine too, but like you wouldn't swap.

:eek: Do I have to use it now I've got it out? :confused:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Janey66
    Janey66 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Ive had my ironing board about 20 years now, Ex mothinlaw had it years before that, Still going strong though
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum gave me her old ironig boa when we got married 9 years ago. I remember her havig it for years though so guessing it is a good 15/20 years old !!

T xx
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,923 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    No [strike]we[/strike] I will be fine, you have to iron regularly to get affected. :rotfl:

:confused:

*Puts Personal Injury Lawyer on speed dial*
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    my late Mum never owned an ironing board in her life ,she ironed on an old army blanket covered with a sheet for years .When I was little I can remember her putting her two old flat irons on the kitchen range to warm up .Then she would pick one up at a time and spit lightly on it to see how hot it was then iron away.
    My Dad bought her a Morphy Richard's black and yellow iron when thay first came on the market around the mid 1950s, and she was so thrilled with it as in those days you had to plug the flex into the double adaptor in the middle light. No plugs on the wall in our house.It was the first electric iron I'd ever seen and I was facinated that you could dial a heat on it .
    My mum used it until her death in 1962, and I used it, but changed the plug to a three pin one until I finally bought a new one in 1999. My eldest DD seems to buy a new iron every year yet I have only ever had two in my life Perhaps I am a bit more careful with mine as I don't like to see things wasted I actually replaced the flex with a longer one last year, and it will no doubt see me out.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine's positively antique - 40 years old. Had it as a wedding present and it still looks as good as new. Mind you, I'm not a great ironing fan. If it doesn't show, it doesn't get ironed in this house!
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    Mine was a wedding present and so nearly ten years old. It has had quite a few covers though of varying styles!! At the moment is Homer Simpson.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    I was getting really worried as I ironed last week - the floor seemed to develop a hump and the ironing board was going all over the place.

I was getting all stressed about subsidence and floors, then realised that I had bent one of the legs of my nearly new and quite expensive ironing board (well, nearly new compared to some on here - about three or four years old).

I have no idea how I managed that, or when (irregular but long bouts of ironing happen in our house) but now I have to work out what sort of ironing board I want and where to get it and how to get it home on the bus.

Do Lakeland do ironing boards? Shame not to check them out...

(any recommendations - has to be high because I am tall)
    Always another chapter

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mine was a 21st birthday present from DH. He was horrified that I wanted house stuff but we were skint and I wanted a new one. I'm 30 this year so it's 9 years old. I replaced the cover last year just before Christmas but it has torn apart already- I got one of the silver ones from Tesco. I'm not particularly impressed I have to say. The covers don't seem to fit properly though and slide around all the time. Maybe I'll have to buy a JML cover?
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    Just bought one to replace my old one. They do still exist. Ebay is my friend.

It is nearly as tall as me when folded flat and propped up, and I'm 5'7", seems to have the same surface area of the Isle of Wight and has all sorts of gadgets attached - like a plug next to where you put the iron so you plug the ironing board into the socket and the iron into the ironing board. I just wanted one that was high enough.

I can feel an attack of ironing coming on.

This ironing board had better last - it cost a fortune (for me).
    Always another chapter

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure