PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how old is your ironing board ?

Options

Comments

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine is years and years old, can't remember though. I have recently bought a new cover for it and I intend it to last me until it collapses. Not that I use it a great deal since I'm on my own...
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • saving-grace
    Options
    Mine is only a couple of years old. When I had to get a new one I was disappointed not to be able to get the Beldray brand, which I'd had previously, they seen to have gone out of business.

Why do all ironing boards nowadays have a funny open stand for the iron to rest on? On mine you have to rest the iron at an angle. I'd far rather just have a flat area (as on my Beldray) where I could stand the iron firmly on its heel.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mines 18 years old - it has a new cover every so often but I do wash my cover every couple of weeks - can't see the point of ironing clean clothes on a dirty cover :confused:

The board itself is dinked and dented and the leg doesn't close properly but it's sturdy and just the right height.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    37 years old in August
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Why do all ironing boards nowadays have a funny open stand for the iron to rest on? On mine you have to rest the iron at an angle. I'd far rather just have a flat area (as on my Beldray) where I could stand the iron firmly on its heel.

Hi does it look like a big tray?? if so its for if you have a steam generator iron to put the whole base on the tray and then put the iron back on the base its alot easier if you dont have a table to put it on. if you do get a new ironing board make sure you put pressure on the tray to make sure its sturdy and try to wiggle the board too if it wiggles too much it wont last long. brantia boards are great bit on the heavy side which is alot better i think they are around £25-£30

HTH

Steph xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I got mine from the Greenshield stamp books in 1971 and it's still going strong.It a huge metal one and I always have a problem getting a cover for it as it's so big last year I managed to buy one off the internet. It's great though and my eldest DD want's me to leave it to her in my will !!!
  • Choccie
    Choccie Posts: 157 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mines only about 7 years old, but is in desperate need of a new cover, only problem is I cant seem to find one anywhere to fit it, so I may be forced to buy a new one soon as I am not sure how long the threads holding the cover together are going to last!! If anyone know where I could get a new cover from I would be very grateful - measurements are 143cm long by 39cm wide.
    :j :j :j
    :A
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Mine is nearly 17 years old (wedding present) and I put a new cover on top of the original one to give a bit more bounce. My mum's must be 44 years old (wedding present as well) - hers is bright blue enamelled metal - which is a bit odd - maybe they were all the rage in 1964!
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine is about 3 years old. I once tripped over one and fell on top of it. It was a mangled wreck! I go through a couple of covers a year.

My mum had one that was almost 40 years old. It was made by my almost blind uncle. It was wooden with an asbestos stand. They still have the stepladder he made, and that's about 50 years old.
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I got mine from the Greenshield stamp books in 1971

Oh the memories. :rolleyes: I still miss collecting greenshield stamps with my mum. Used to love sticking them in and getting excited about what little treat I'd get.

Opps off topic.

My ironing board is about 12 years old, was as cheap as chips and a gift from my dad as he couldn't bear to see me ironing on my rug. :D It's been the best one yet, that previous being a new fangled thingy DH had before we married that I hated. Cost him a fortune too and was so weak.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback