PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how old is your ironing board ?

Options

Comments

• angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    my mums ironing board is over 55 years old and was built by my uncle when my grandad made him... because he broke their old ironing board by whacking it off my mums leg and breaking her leg when they were kids having an arguement :rotfl: it is still used weekly to this day and has outlived any others as it is so sturdy. he also had to make my mum some crutches at the same time! :rolleyes:
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    OMG you lot you all need new ironing boards i cant believe what im seeing! i run a ironing service with my mum we change our boards every 2 years but replace the covers every 6 months!

when your going to buy a new ironing board make sure you get it out of the packing, its sturdy, the covers are easy to buy and its a good height so your not breaking your back.

also i recommend putting tin foil under your board cover as it bounces back steam and heat making your job easier :)

Steph xx
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mine is 5 yrs old - need screwing together every 2nd use, second cover.if i could afford to replace it with a quality product i would!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Current one is 9 years old as the last chipboard one broke and could not be mended. I did mean to make a new cover today so shall do that tomorrow.

My mum is still using her first board, and it is in excellent condition even though it is over 50 years old, they married in 1956 but she used a blanket on the table at first while they saved for the 'extras'! It is metal, sturdy and solid, was designed to be recovered easily - I aim to inherit it!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    Mine is about 15 years old - I just keep getting new covers for it...and I dont take off the old one !!! I have 8 JML covers on my ironing board!! It is lovely and soft and bouncy!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    About 11 years old - it was the cheapest of them all at somewhere like Argos :rotfl: it had a new cover in September though!
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    mine is 7 yrs old and have replaced the cover about 2 weeks ago
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine is 39 years old replaced the cover again yesterday, OH suggested we got a new one but I wont hear of it nothing wrong with it anyway.
  • bellaquidsin
    Options
    Mine belonged to MIL and we reckon it's at least 50 years old but could be more. It's not a wooden one and is a bit rusty in places. It has a sleeve board that fits underneath and a stand which swings out to hold the iron. I never use either of these as I grew up ironing on a flat table. It is extra big and wouldn't fit any cover you can buy so I just cover it with an old blanket and an old sheet pinned on.

My in laws were not well off but always bought the best they could, seems it paid off in this case. Oh, yes and when it's folded up it has wheels so I don't have to lift it.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Mine is 20 yo and was the cheapest woolworths had to offer at the time I bought it. I got a steam generator iron last year and it's now gone all bendy (mdf!) so I think I'm going to have to invest in a new one soon....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback