PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how old is your ironing board ?

Options

Comments

• noonesperfect
    Options
    I started off with a big metal Brabantia one (bought 1980) but I always had trouble getting covers bigs enough. I don't remmeber when I replaced it with my current one, but at least 10 years ago I would think.
    When my late Mother died she still had her wooden ironing board 1955-2004 (age of ironing board, not Mum!):A .
    :wave:
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have an old ironing board with the bonus of having a wooden top so I am able to recover it with old blankets and sheeting (very OS) and staple it to the bottom. It's one of the reasons I will not get rid of it.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Mines and old wooden one too. It was a wedding present for my grand parents in 1936. Making it 72 years old.:eek: I didn't realize it was that old never really thought about it before.

...but as larmy16 says because of the wooden top you can cover it with what you like and I would never part with mine either. :cool:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh - and I thought mine was old! I've got my mums one that she got as a wedding present 39 years ago, I inherited it when she inherited the one from my Gran - she died about 14 years ago - as apparently that one was better. I was really pleased as the new ones seem so flimsy and don't last. Cover wise - we both use an large old table cloth (on a metal board) which can be washed. An sorry - I like ironing and iron most things - including socks - am I mad?
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    About 4 years old and just to show how often I iron, I couldn't even tell you where it is :rotfl:tesco cheapy. One I had before that got bent when I used it as a paint stand while redecorating.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    up until a few months ago mine must of been about 12 years old maybe a bit more but it bent and broke so i had to get new one but i only bought a cheap one as i could not afford the nicer one at the time but wishing now i did as it is really pants and is already bending a bit so not at all happy with it i loved my old one :(
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • exlibris
    Options
    Mine is only a couple of years old. When I had to get a new one I was disappointed not to be able to get the Beldray brand, which I'd had previously, they seen to have gone out of business.

Mine is a Beldray. No wonder they went out of business as we all seem to keep them for decades. They don't make 'em like they used to!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,932 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    Mines and old wooden one too. It was a wedding present for my grand parents in 1936. Making it 72 years old.:eek: I didn't realize it was that old never really thought about it before.

:cool:

Any advance on 72 years?? :eek: :rotfl:

Does anyone with a wooden board have what appears(!) to be an asbestos layer in the iron rest thingy? I remember seeing it years ago, (now covered with several layers of sheeting) I've often wondered if it might be hazardous but don't want to disturb it in case it is!!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Any advance on 72 years?? :eek: :rotfl:

Does anyone with a wooden board have what appears(!) to be an asbestos layer in the iron rest thingy? I remember seeing it years ago, (now covered with several layers of sheeting) I've often wondered if it might be hazardous but don't want to disturb it in case it is!!
    :o Yes it does have the asbestos (?) white layer in the iron rest thingy.:shhh: Uncovered :eek:

Its also a left handed ironing board as my gran was left handed and ironed from the other side of the board so over the years it has a slight lean.
    It feel like I'm ironing up hill on occasions or :think:is that just the mountain of ironing.

My son is left handed too and he says its just because I iron from the wrong side. :p

iron001.jpg

iron002.jpg

Photographed from my side! :) :rotfl:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,932 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh well...if we are going to do piccies....:rotfl:

2008_0221NewCamera0002.jpg

(Don't you just love the 1970's duvet cover material!!)

Just had a little lookee at the iron stand bit and it has the same sort of stuff that yours has Rikki. Do you think we might die of asbestos-related ironing...:rotfl:

Yours looks much more sturdy than mine...but mine can still give a hefty whack on the shins when putting it up! Still wouldn't swap it though!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback