O2 New Retention Tariff Discount 500 / Discount 750

Options

Comments

• asphyxia
    asphyxia Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    hi all,

my contract is up and i'm after the K800i. I've been with O2 for 3 years now and their first offer to me was £50 for the phone. I then called Vodafone who are giving the phone away for free on similar tariff. I called O2 again and the lady offered me my first month free making the phone £20 tehnically.

would I be able to knock them down the last £20 and how do i go about it? Would taking an 18mth contract make any difference? Any advice greatly appreciated.
    V.xx
    Life's not about finding youself; It's about creating yourself
  • webkami
    webkami Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    asphyxia wrote:
    hi all,

my contract is up and i'm after the K800i. I've been with O2 for 3 years now and their first offer to me was £50 for the phone. I then called Vodafone who are giving the phone away for free on similar tariff. I called O2 again and the lady offered me my first month free making the phone £20 tehnically.

would I be able to knock them down the last £20 and how do i go about it? Would taking an 18mth contract make any difference? Any advice greatly appreciated.
    V.xx

Yes that would make a great difference, as you will pay £180 extra for this contract. Push for more free months if you are going for 18 months contract.
  • Prosaic
    Prosaic Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Just come off the phone from 02 retentions (0800 0288151)

My contract is up in 3 weeks. I wanted 200 mins/200 texts and using onecompare found that Virgin are doing 200/300 with the phone I wanted ( SE w810i) for £30 a month

Phoned 02 asked for the PAC. They checked who I was ( probably seeing if I spend enough to make it worth their while offering me anything) then asked why I was leaving

Explained the Virgin deal and after a short pause the nice lady offered me EXACTLY the same deal for £20 a month. She added that if I could manage on 200 texts I could have it for £15!

Went for the £20 deal and they said trarriff approved, go into shop tomorrow and phone will be mine. To be honest I've always found 02 very reliable so was worried about leaving

Nice & painless - got what i wanted, and saved £120 for the next year!

Thanks MSE! :T :T :T
  • asphyxia
    asphyxia Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I (unlike the england team) got a great result! After looking on the O2 webpage and finding out the k800i phone is free I called o2 again today. They previously offered me the phone for £50 and 1 mth free line rental. When I asked if I could have the phone for free as advertised on their website the lady told me it was new customers only. I asked her to put me through to disconnections which she did and the gent there offered me 2 mths free line rental to cover the cost of the phone. I know there are better cashback deals out there but i'm happy renewing my existing contract as I've never had any problem with them.

Thanks to everyone here for all your help.
    V.xx
    Life's not about finding youself; It's about creating yourself
  • Kay
    Kay Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    I got a pretty good result too - I've been negotiating for three phones as we used to get them paid for through work but now have them privately - after reading all the advice on here last year, I got two of them on the Discount 500 for £12.50 and mine on Discount 750 for £17.50 but couldn't get them to give me any free texts, had to do a bolt on of a fiver for 100.

The phones have come up for renegotiation, and after a bit of telling them I was looking at T Mobile and 3, and when they didn't look like they were going to offer me anything good (said they couldn't discount a discount tariff) told them how my mum and her (retired) boss had been with Cellnet since year dot (true) and really didn't want to leave them, I was offered their phones on a tariff called O2 500, where they get 500 minutes, 100 texts and International Traveller Service for £17.50 and with a 20% discount got it down to £14! £1.50 more than last year but with 100 texts thrown in.

I was offered the 750 minutes I'd had before, but with 150 texts included for £17.50 - in essence exactly the same but with the texts for free (and an extra 50) saving a fiver a month. Had to take an 18 month contract on it though.

Got two Nokia 6230i's and a Nokia 6280. Asked about N80 but said it was out of stock, and offered it me for £39.99 when it was back, but took the 6280.

Not fantastically better than the previous contract, but I think I got an exceptional deal last year and was pleased to better it even a little.

Thanks to all for all the useful comments on this.
  • reelcrazy
    reelcrazy Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    Just rang retentions finally and was offered the following:

200 Mins & 200 texts for £15 with Sony K800i for £49.99 (12 Month Deal)

He would not budge on the £49.99 charge

He also offered 500 mins & 100 texts for £17.50 and again, £49.99 for the K800i on 12 month deal.

I am ringing back tomorrow morning as they haven't got any K800i's in stock until then.

How should I push for the £49.99 charge to be waived?

Thanks
  • Prosaic
    Prosaic Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    reelcrazy wrote:
    Just rang retentions finally and was offered the following:

200 Mins & 200 texts for £15 with Sony K800i for £49.99 (12 Month Deal)

He would not budge on the £49.99 charge

He also offered 500 mins & 100 texts for £17.50 and again, £49.99 for the K800i on 12 month deal.

I am ringing back tomorrow morning as they haven't got any K800i's in stock until then.

How should I push for the £49.99 charge to be waived?

Thanks

My approach was to find a deal via onecompare that provided the phone I wanted for free. Print it off & have it to hand. Then say to them 'well Virgin are offering the phone free for blah blah blah' and ask for the PAC code as they obviosuly can't help you

Depends how much you're worth to them then I suppose. If they want to retain your custom they'll make an offer
    If you get worried say you'll call back later
  • Damo1176
    Damo1176 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    matrix999 wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Glad to see so many people making use of the thread and getting great deals. With regards to the above posts Katrina-trying to save if you want to call the now the Retention Team may like Shelly has pointed out may not make a note of a deal they have offered you on your account notes. I called them a month or so before my Discount 500 tariff contract was up and they said they would give me the exact same deal for the following year. I got the advisors name and extn number and asked them to log our conversation in my account notes, i then called back to double check the conversation had been logged and it had.

I called the Retention Team a few days ago to take up the offer and there was no problem what so ever as the details were all on my notes. I should point out to those on the Discount 500/750 tariff that O2 will no longer discount this tariff further, what i mean by that is that the price of the Discount 500 tariff is £25 per month and the Discount 750 is £35. I got them to put me onto the Online 500 Anytime X Net with 500 Texts with a £15 per month discount = £20 per month but got a further £120.00 credit on top of the £100.00 re sign credit to balance what I was originally offered when i called.

Online 500 Anytime X Net Mins
    500 Texts
    £15.00 per month discount
    £120.00 lump sum credit
    £100.00 resign credit

£35.00 - £15.00 line rental discount (£20.00 per month) X 12 months = £240.00 - £220.00 Credits = £20.00 year or £1.66 per month!!!

How on earth did you get the deal with credits, how does that work. I am up foir renewal having been on the £15 a month with 500 mins xnet and 400 texts for the year, they have screwed my bill up so many times in 12 months I am going to try and really screw them over and use it as a prodder!! Buty I'd be interested to know what plan of attack is best how to get credits, I have the K750i, its running out of warranty so that might mean its easier to jhust get an upgarde thrown in
  • Damo1176
    Damo1176 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone managed to get a good deal like 500 mins xnet anytime, 500 texts, 1Mb GPRS and K800??!!
  • raj75
    raj75 Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    I called retentions yesterday via 0800 005 005 to give my 1 month notice, with no hope they would give me a good offer (my last year spend is just 58 pence above the normal line rental). But, they offered me W810i for £39.99 + £180 credit for O2-200 @ £30/month. I bargained and they offered 2 months half price worth £30 and then I agreed for the upgrade. So on the overall, £190 for whole year on O2-200 and W810i handset.

I then found this thread and now thinking if Discount 500 is a better Offer.

Can I still call them ask for Discount 500?. Do they give any written confirmation of the offer provided to me, or is this all in my account notes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure