We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,704 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve applied for my state pension. It was surprisingly easy…even for a technophobe like me 😂
    Ive also ordered medical stuff and paid my cc in full. 
    I’m on the last leg of the kitchen. I’ve thrown some flavoured hot chocolates out that was best before 2013…..I’ve wanted to get rid of the offending articles many times but Dh keeps saying ‘ they’ll be ok - I’ll drink them’ Well he hasn’t and he’s missed his chance now…..they looked a very dubious colour 🤢😱 I don’t like hot chocolate so there was no chance of me drinking them and he used to have them for a ‘treat’ I think he’d been bought them for a present at some time. I know I didn’t buy them.
    I've just got one worktop let to sort but that won’t take long. I’m quite pleased with the results…..it’s taken me 3 days and I’ve had done it in a long day previously but at least they’re sorted and if any ants dare to cross the threshold- hopefully they’ll not find any crumbs to party on 🤞Just need to be on top of things this week as I’ve done it earlier than I usually do…..but I’m always shattered by the time we actually get away after my big cleans…..there’s got to be an easier way 😏
    Next task is to sort the van out - I haven’t ventured in there since before Easter. Poor Millie has been badly neglected.
    ive got a telephone hospital appointment this afternoon. I think this is a mistake as the rheumatologist said he’d speak to me in 3 years last time I was there, after I’d had 3 lots of yearly treatments……it took nearly a year for the 1 st appointment for the treatment to come through so I’ve only actually had 2 treatments. I tried to ring his secretary to query but couldn’t get through so will see what they have to say.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    Doh……my appointment is Tuesday not today.
    The kitchen is sparkling 😇
    Not a penny has been spent. I don’t count paying my cc as spends as I’ve already counted them as they’ve been spent 👍
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,459 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Woohoo on the state pension application.  You could treat yourself to a cleaner once a fortnight? 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    edited 10 June at 12:29PM
    Options
    Well I had a spendy weekend. I bought some new trainers for my holibobs. I did of course do it the MSE way 😁👍 I decided to get on the tram on Saturday afternoon on the spur of the minute and travel to a local ish outlet village. A £3.20 tram ticket for me and Dh used his bus pass……I’m on the countdown to September when I’ll get mine 🤞. I bought 2 pairs of sketchers archfit that I can take the insoles out of to put my podiatry ones in. They were reduced to £60 something each….so I bought 2 pairs for not much more than 1 pair of the full priced ones.  I’m happy with them, it’s so frustrating only being able to wear certain shoes 🥴
    We had a lovely unexpected afternoon when we went to the outlet village to get them, as there were Dragon boat races taking place on the water, so we sat in the sunshine watching for a while…..including seeing one capsize and the rowers having to be rescued. There was a great atmosphere and we also watched traditional Chinese singers, unfortunately we missed the children’s dances but saw them in spectacular costumes. What a great atmosphere. The trams were busy as there were several big music shows and festivals going on round and about town. The tram we wanted was packed. So we got on a different tram which goes out to a different destination not far away before turning back. We got on this tram as we had a seat and my ticket allowed travel. Anyway we decided to get off at the destination for a look around as  it’s a part of town I know of  but don’t think I’ve ever visited…..it is famous for little round currant filled pastries. There was a ‘spoons right outside the tram station so we ended up in there for tea and a drink. A great afternoon and very unexpected . 
    The deep pre holiday clean has well and truly been underway. Dh has helped a lot so it’s made it a lot easier. The kitchen has been blitzed as has the living room ……all paintwork cleaned, suite cleaned and had leather cream on, carpet cleaned and the van carpet has been cleaned as it got a muddy hammering last time we were away. I’m in the process of doing the hall and utility room. All the coats from the coat hooks washed and either put away or ones no longer used sent to the charity shop. I’ve also rearranged some cupboards which should work better for me. 
    I’m on target to be ready without too much of a rush. Today I’ll finish the hall including a bookcase….not much left to do now. Tomorrow will be ironing and beginning to pack the van….Wednesday I’m at a craft group but will change the bed and finish  packing  the van. Then we’re off on Thursday. Just hope the weather picks up a bit. I don’t want hot sunshine but a bit of brightness would be nice.
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 June at 12:14PM
    Options
    Ha I was there Friday watching them set up for the races . Then you went to where my dad does all his shopping . Glad you enjoyed it . I was in Staffordshire went not far from your area on our way there . Have a good holiday. 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• milann
    Options
    SG2 I thought of you whilst I was there.👍.

January spends - £587.58
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,875 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lovely day. Well done on the bargain Skechers.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like you have been very productive of late  :D 

We are very much counting down to our holiday now as well. 3 weeks to go.
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What a lovely day…and look how industrious you’ve been! 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,459 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely day. 
     I feel your pain on shoes. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback