We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

As I was washing the coats I washed a coat that dh hasn’t worn for a while. I was taking it out of the tumble dryer I felt something in the pocket. I’d checked pockets before I put them in the washer.🤷🏻‍♀️ hadn’t realised there was an inside one. There was his best wallet with his birthday money which was to be used specifically for us to go on a  steam train ride and we haven’t been to the area it’s at since his birthday. He’s kept it separate so that it doesn’t get gobbled into everyday use. Could have been worse and it could have gone to the charity bag 😳 So the was a few notes all stuck together…..I’ve separated them and stood them up drying…at least they’re plastic now. Money laundering at its best 😂😂😂😂Not sure how long it’ll take for his wallet to dry out 🥴
    who’d have thought it’d taken so long to clean a utility room and small hallway…..only just finishing.
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,879 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Money laundering 🤣🤣 Glad it survived the wash though. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,481 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Also glad it survived the wash  
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    Options
    A busy day again today but the end is in sight. Everything I wanted to do  has been blitzed. I’ll do the gks bedroom before they come to visit in July…..it’s not that long since I did it. And once Dh finishes work he can declutter his room of really useful things (junk) Everywhere else has been sorted, cleaned and decluttered. Just want to do the bedding in the morning. Everything is ready to load into the van tomorrow afternoon when I get home from my craft group.
    I’ve had a phone appointment with the hospital. It went as I expected and they’ll follow it up with a scan and another infusion. This should help the orthopaedic folk in their decision on surgery 🥴 I’m very undecided about it atm. 
    I bought a few bits to take with us which was just short of £20. I also went to collect the prescription I’d ordered last week which they said would be ready today - it wasn’t…..so hopefully it’ll be ready tomorrow…..they’re usually really good and it used to be 3 days notice - it seems to have crept up to a week. Apparently they’ve changed to an on line service for appointments so will have to see how it pans out.
    Right that’s me for a couple of weeks as I try not to do screens whilst on holiday. 
    Take care everyone 👋
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    Happy happy holidays.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Sun_Addict
    Options
    Have a fabulous time 🥳
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a lovely holiday ✨
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• milann
    Options
    And here we are, nearly a month since my last post.
    In a nutshell…. I had a lovely relaxing time in Cornwall.The weather was ok on the whole….my sort of weather. There was a mini heatwave at home - where we stayed was mainly shrouded in cloud and mist but it was generally warm, when the sun broke through it was lovely. We had one rainy afternoon and one very hot day. The hot day was well catered for by a ride on a boat with a sea breeze along the river. Money was spent, enjoyed and paid off in full 😁 I loved the campsite, there was electricity and a great Wi-Fi signal but we used our own shower and loo facilities. It’s the first time we’ve stayed so long without showers and it was much better than I expected it to be. Llamas chilled in neibouring field and we chilled in ours 🥂🍹☕️🍰. The journey home was the worst I’ve ever encountered. It usually takes circa 6 hours…..we left at 9 am and arrived home a 11 that night 😳😳😳🥴🥴🥴 we did stop for about an hour for a complete break and something to eat. On our many periods at a complete standstill with the engine off….we grabbed snacks and drinks from the van fridge and nipped to the loo 🙂 one of the advantages of a Motorhome. I’ve had some long journeys in the past, but this one beat the lot. My journey was still probably better than the people in the accident that caused the delays…..something I kept in mind rather than ranting about the situation.
    The following morning I went to get some bread from the freezer and it was soft 😳 not what I expected to find. I investigated further, only to find everything on the top and bottom shelves of my freezer had defrosted. It had only just happened as the middle two shelves were still frozen. I’d actually been storing some of Dh food whilst he sorted a problem with his freezer. I quickly phoned him, he came around and took everything we could salvage to his freezer which is now working again. The weekend was spent in the minefield of looking for a new appliance. We actually want a slightly bigger one BUT it’s a bit of a concern how it will  impact on the dining table having which will have to move further into the L shaped dining part of the room. I do have a small table top fridge in the utility room we use for drinks…..so the drinks were promptly emptied and lots of home made ready meals which had defrosted but were only just above frozen and a couple of frozen packs of meat were in the tiny freezer in there. We used the meals for a couple of days then had to throw the remainder 🥴 it went against the grain but I wasn’t going to chance them and making us ill. And the searching for a new freezer continued 😳😳😳😳 I knew we were only home 5 days before heading to dds for 3 nights - so the decision to leave the decision until we came home was made. It’s now quite high on the aganda. I’ve narrowed it down to 2 models.
    id had calls about 2 close relatives whilst away….one with severe memory problems and one in hospital with sepsis. The latter is on the road to recovery now and I visited last week in hospital. I will go again this week- hopefully at home rather than hospital 🤞
    We had a lovely time at dds, played many games, had a walk by the sea and watched eldest gdd in a  show. The younger gdd has never wanted to go to the drama group but has now decided she wants to go too as the show was ‘brilliant’. I had a bit of a lump in my throat watching the children singing and dancing. Not only because I  was a proud grandma but I’d checked my phone to turn it off as we were entering the theatre, only to see a message about a little girl who was in one of the classes worked at lot in. They discovered a brain tumour when she was 6 and she has fought bravely for 6 years having many operations, chemo and radiation sessions in her short life. She lost her fight earlier this week. I gave my gks an extra hug…..every day is precious.
    I had a hospital appointment with my ankle on Thursday and as I expected the boss consultant confirmed surgery isn’t an option for me and he’s recommended yet another visit to get a brace fitted. I told him I’ve tried 2 different ones already and I couldn’t wear them - he has suggested a different orthotic practitioner…….watch this space.
    Today I’m having a relaxed day as it’s been full a bit manic since I  got home from my 2 week holiday and I’m ready for another 😂😂😂👍 
    I’ve had confirmation that I’ll get my full state pension from my next birthday which was a big relief. I did expect it but a lady who worked at school had a reduction in hers - something to do with the local authority opting out…..and it put a niggle of a thought in my mind. Roll on September 👍 as I’ll be better off than I am now 😁😁
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Glad you had a lovely time away. Boo to the freezer packing up though. How sad about the little girl. 
  • beanielou
    Options
    Glad that you had the best time. So sorry about the wee girl. Not long now til you get your pension. 
    Another orthotic bod. Mmmm. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback