We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    milann said:
    Yes Floss. We were at Greenfields where it all started then the busses took the bands around different places. We spent a couple of hours there.
    Ah fab - it's years since I watched the Whit Friday bands, it was a family tradition to watch in Uppermill park when I was at primary school.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a lot happening here today. It’s rained on and off all day…..AGAIN. I did poke my nose outside to do a bit of gardening but it was a tad chilly so I did some washing instead and nipped to the local shop for some cabbage. The veg shelves were really depleted. I bought the most sorry looking cabbage I think I’ve ever bought. I’d cooked a small piece of gammon from the freezer and have to have cabbage with it…it’s the law 😂😂😂 so I did cabbage, carrots, cauliflower cheese and just a couple of roast potatoes. It was rather delicious. I also made a massive pot of minestrone soup with the stock from the gammon. I think it’s one of my favourite soups and it’ll keep us going a few days. It’s just not the same if I make minestrone without gammon stock.
    I was going to buy tea bags at weekend and they wanted nearly £7 for the decaf brand I usually buy. No way was i going to pay that much and I’d intended shopping around then low and behold they were on offer at £5.50 today. Talk about hiking prices up to make them look cheap as if they’re on offer….they’re usually about the £5.50 mark. I know there are cheaper brands out there but I do enjoy my favourite and am willing to pay around today’s price but I would probably try something different again if the price does hike to £7plus. 
    I’ve been plodding on making the patchwork squares for the bag I’m making at a craft group. I’ve made 13….only 5 more to go and over a week to do it, so I should be on time. Having things done in time and not burning the midnight oil the days before a deadline is quite out of character for me 😂😂 long may it last. I really do think listening to the hypnotherapy tapes I paid for last year have made differences on my outlook. Little by little I’ve noticed small things have changed for the better 😁
    Dh is working tomorrow so I’ll go to my singing group and come home. I’ve been threatening to start a big spring clean before we go away in a couple of weeks but there always seems to have been something better in the offing…..even if it’s only been sewing patchwork squares 😂😂 I do need to crack on though so I’ll see what tomorrow afternoon brings 🤪

January spends - £587.58
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s too late for a big spring clean now, I’d wait for next year 🤭
    Enjoy your singing. The soup sounds delicious.
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's summer in a couple of days. Too late for spring cleaning  :D 

We have noticed tea and coffee prices on have on the rise again. I went mad with the other half the other day when he paid £7 for a tin of decaff coffee!
  • milann
    Options
    Well the spring clean hasn’t happened yet 😂😂😂 think it’ll be a case of doing the minimum to keep me satisfied that we won’t come back to an invasion of ants. I have done some bits but not as much as I wanted. I’ve still got another week before we head down to Cornish Pastie land so all isn’t lost.
    I’ve put my gym membership on hold for the whole of June - it worked out great for me as they’re doing roof work over the pool so there was an option to hold at not cost 😁 since we’re away for a good chunk of June I’m happy with that. I’ve also booked 4 weeks holiday from Slimming World as I wasn’t expecting be able to drive tomorrow and then we’re away.
    What  a waste of time today turned out to be…..I had an appointment this afternoon for a steroid injection in my hip. No driving for 24 hours and rest for 48 hours. So off I toddled to the private hospital which is just the other side of my favourite lockdown walk (as an NHS patient) ….Id have  got a taxi back. Anyway the doc had a friendly chat and I was called in for all the pre procedure tests…..blood pressure etc. Just as the nurse was finishing the doc came into the room and sat down. ‘Houston we have a problem’ were his words. They didn’t have any of the steroid  he was planning to inject in the hospital. Apparently it is from Spain and there’s a shortage country wide…all to do with taxes and Brexit apparently. He said they do use a different brand which he wasn’t happy using on me as it isn’t as effective and doesn’t last as long…..he is trying to stall the hip replacement that  needs doing for as long as possible …..which I totally agree with…..so he’s wanting to use a medication that lasts months and not weeks and has less chance of damage in the joint. He left it to me whether or not he used the one they had in stock but he’s always done well by me before and if he doesn’t recommend it I’ll follow his judgement. So I headed back home again…stopping for a cuppa at the little cafe in the park. 
    I have had the paperwork through telling me to apply for my state pension. I feel old now 😂😂
    I should have met a friend on Monday but it was postponed and she was going to come here tomorrow instead. Anyway now I can drive tomorrow,  I’m meeting her at the place we were going to meet on Monday. I haven’t been there for years so I’m looking forward to it.
    I haven’t spent much at all as I’ve been using the freezer up. Just a bit of fresh food yesterday. 
    I’ve sent all the dental receipts off to recoup the price of our recent check ups, hopefully that’ll boost the holiday fund. I can’t say I’m feeling I’m rocking the holiday mood yet. I think a bit of sunshine might help. 
    We had a nice day in Wales on Saturday at a NT place. I’ve wanted to visit here to see the laburnum arch but we’ve usually missed it. Anyway it was gorgeous …..just beginning to go over but still beautiful. From there we drove through the mountains…along my favourite road in the whole of the UK and had fish and chips by a harbour watching some little boats before heading home again. The rest of the weekend was spent pootling around the garden. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,480 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hopefully they will get something in soon that they can use.  Have you got another appointntment?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,879 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s hard to get in holiday mood when the weather is rubbish. What a nuisance with the steroid from Spain 😞 Why can’t we produce the same thing here, we shouldn’t have to buy in from elsewhere! 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Well it was all good news apart from the pesky injection! How long will you have to wait for new stock?
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That bad news about the injection. Hopefully they can sort out the right stuff for you soon.

Countdown to the holiday now though  :D  
  • milann
    Options
    The hospital said they’d get in touch when it’s in stock. It wouldn’t have been rocket science to check they had everything needed before running the clinic and phoning to tell me it wasn’t available. Ahh well……there’s worse things going on in the world than that….got to keep things in perspective 👍
    I started the deep clean of my kitchen cupboards and drawers this morning. I put the contents of a couple of drawers in the dishwasher and wiped said drawers and cupboards out then went to meet an old workmate for lunch leaving everything out all over the place  whilst it dried 😳. I was very spoiled- she treated me even though it was her birthday 🤪 we’d planned on going to a vintage cafe in an old mill nearby but it is closed on a Wednesday so we ended up in Dunelm cafe. It was very nice and it’s recently been revamped so felt cosy. Once home I carried on with the kitchen. It’ll be resumed tomorrow as my get up and go got up and went very quickly 👍
    £3.50 spent on some fresh bits 
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport