We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you get the ankle sorted RS.
    The ankle brace felt quite comfortable until I put weight on it. Apparently my ankle joint has degenerated a lot and just wants to go it’s own way when weight bearing…this causes the brace to dig in at various points and if it’s altered any more it won’t do the job it’s suppose to do. I wore it as long as I could around the house and I’ll keep trying it but the orthotic guy thinks the podiatry insoles I already use are of more use to me. It was worth a try but at present I can’t imagine wearing it going for a walk.
    i went to SW this morning- I didn’t go last week. I’d put 1/2lb back on. Considering I’ve been out for several meals and eaten lots of cake over the last couple of weeks I’ll take that. I can’t say I’m happy to be yo-yoing again but it could have been much worse. When I went to a friends family do last weekend I managed to get into a dress I couldn’t get into a while ago so some progress has been made. The buttons were a little too bulging to be seen in public so my aim is to be able to wear the dress whilst in Cornwall in mid June. 
    I want to do a little more in the garden today. I planted up a lot of pots but still need to tidy some up. I’ll have to wait for Dh to come in to put them in their rightful positions in the garden though. I find it so frustrating having to wait for help with the heavy work. It’s getting there….i still have  some courgette seeds I want to plant in pots, so I need to get a wriggle on before it’s too late. Not sure how long I’ll get outside for, as it’s looking rather grey out there. 
    I didn’t make it to my brother’s yesterday, as I wanted to put the brace through its paces before I speak to the consultant next week. I can’t make it to see him next week either, as I have a dentist appointment next week and Tuesday is the best day for various reasons for me to get there.
    Spend wise I spent £15 in Lidl as I passed it yesterday on my way home from the hospital. The first time I’ve used the app. Don’t think I’ll get to £50 before the end of the month though as it’s slightly out of my way. We are supposed to be getting a new store, which is much closer to home, however there have been objections to the planning as the proposed site is quite close to a roundabout. I hope it goes ahead. Watch this space. 
    I’m actually ahead of target with the crochet from the course I went on. I’ve got until June 6th until the next class and to finish the 2 hexagon pieces that make most of the front, back and sleeves. I should have them sorted in the next day or so 😁 I’m also on target with the hand stitching of the patchwork bag I’m making at a craft club. This is quite out of character and I’m usually last minute. 😇
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,480 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry about the leg brace.  
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So annoying about the brace!  ☹️

Good news about fitting in your dress!👍. That would really cheer me up!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,879 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a brilliant non scale victory being able to get into the dress, proves progress is being made. What a shame about the ankle brace. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • milann
    Options
    It was a friend’s birthday yesterday so we headed over today to take her out for a late dinner - early tea. There is a lovely pub not far from her that does a daytime meal for £10.50 before 5 pm and  it’s all home cooked food. There’s not usually any room for a pud afterwards. They had an offer on cocktails so it would have been rude not to take advantage of it. I can’t remember what it was called but white rum, strawberry liqueur, orange and passion fruit. So we ordered one each. The bar tender came over full of apologies that they’d run out of the liqueur….but he’d make us something similar with a double rum and strawberry juice instead. It was rather delicious. Dh paid and I was unsure whether he’d said £51something or £31something.  Once home I asked Dh and it was £31.50 which was the price of the food for the 3 of us but no drinks. That made them even more delicious 😁 Not sure whether they were complementary because of the lack of liqueur but that didn’t include Dh coke (he was driving) Dh thought I’d paid for the drinks. I’ll give a big tip next time we go. It was lovely having a catch up with my friend. 
    I went to singing this morning and it really is a spirit lifter. In between we’ve been pottering in the garden again. Getting a few jobs done whilst Dh was around to help with the lifting…..I painted a little bit of fencing behind a table which holds a mini greenhouse. I couldn’t pull it out to get behind. It was only half a fence panel but it usually gets missed….the area around it has been swept and the table will be put back in the morning. It was a much more pleasant day than the weather forecast had led me to believe. I’m hoping it’ll stay nice tomorrow afternoon as I want to re design a little section of the garden railway to accommodate a couple of plants I bought last week. We’ve taken a little box hedge out that I’d had to prune very hard as it had signs of blight. It looked awful and I didn’t hold out much hope of it growing back so it had to go. I can now enjoy replanting the area 😁
    I’ve been enjoying hand stitching patchwork squares for a bag at the monthly craft group I go to. I’m determined to get to the stage I need to for the next meeting- so I need to average a square a day. I’ve used some plain needle cord cotton I’ve had for years and I piece of floral print of virtually the same shade of rusty orange which the lady at the craft group was gifting as she was having a clear out. So I’m hoping to make a bag as part of a birthday present for someone special…..that’s presuming it turns out ok 🤞
    We’re hoping to see ds on Sunday to use the last of my Mr T vouchers at one of the big food chains. I think they run out around 25th of the month so I don’t want to loose them. 
    Have a lovely weeken 👍
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely wee evening  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The cocktail sounded amazing 😋 What a lovely day you had. Have a great weekend ☀️
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• milann
    Options
    Another day of pottering in the garden and a bit more painting of sheds. Not much left to do now thank goodness. I’ve had enough and my arm and ankle know about it. I did pop over to check in on my friend….lets just say life can be cruel and it’s a good job we don’t know what’s around the corner…… I’d left Dh sorting a bbq out for us and he still hadn’t got it going when I’d arrived home 😂😂 he’d never make an arsonist 😂😂 He gave up and put the burgers under the grill. There was enough heat to eventually cook sausages. It was lovely and my little neighbour popped his head over the fence to say hello…..he’s 21/2 and quite hilarious 😂😂 The next half hour was spent watching the train going around the track…..oooohhhhh the excitement as it went into tunnels and re-emerged. I think we’ll be seeing quite a lot of him 😂😂😂
    £20 was spent on some fresh bits and food for the bbq. It wasn’t planned but was nice 👍

January spends - £587.58
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a potter in the garden. 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• beanielou
    Options
    How lovely to see your wee neighbour & his excitement for the trains. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback