Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,635 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cancelled aqua again today as my car is in for its mot and I hadn’t made the connection when I booked. My insurance is due next month too which has gone up £25 - not actually as bad as I expected. But I’ll make a decision whether or not I’m keeping it after I know what the outcome of today is. It will be going when dh finishes work but I’d quite like to hang onto it until then. 
    I walked to SW this morning and by some miracle I stayed the same. I was more than happy with that after lots of emotional eating and drinking….I couldn’t get back on track.
    I had a lovely day with friends yesterday. We met at an outlet village, went for lunch then headed to the local RHS garden. It was a very strange day weather wise - 4 seasons in one day. Snow, hail and sunshine…didn’t think we’d actually get into the garden as we sat in the hailstorm in the carpark, but we did 😁 I was pleased to suss the bus out on my way home, I’m ready for my next visit now and it’s much easier than I’d ever imagined. I fully intend to get good value of my membership 👍😄 I will still go with Dh in the car but quite fancy a few trips on my own whilst he’s working.
    January spends - £587.58
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @milann - I've found the best deterrent for a cats toilet is coffee grounds from our coffee machine.  Since chucking them onto the garden the cats seem to have stopped using it as a toilet!
  • milann
    Options
    Thanks for that JD. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Coffee grounds are good for the soil too 🙂 My cats hate the smell of citrus so orange/lemon peel could be worth a try. £25 rise for car insurance seems pretty good compared to some reports I’ve seen. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • milann
    Options
    Thanks SA . I knew about the coffee grounds being good for soil but hadn’t realised about the cats. My problem with grounds is we have a mulch of limestone all over the garden over a membrane for Dh garden railway. I will definitely try to get some to try for on my tubs though. Mmmm…..neither the cats nor slugs are put off by the rough surface of the limestone…..and a patch of artificial grass is the current place of choice for the cats toilet 😡 not even an attempt to to bury it. So far the garlic solution has worked 🤞it’ll carry on doing so.
    I’ve a few nice days. Nothing too exciting but nice non the less. We were fed up of the grey wet weather so on Friday Dh looked at the weather forecast and the coastal place just over an hour away looked sunny. So off we went in chase of some brightness. It was indeed lovely. We sat and watched the waves coming in and a couple of dogs having a great time chasing around on the beach. We did have a very short walk but nothing too strenuous. Ds picked us up Saturday afternoon and we went to a different place further along the coast. He came to us yesterday and I cooked a piece of beef I’ve had in the freezer since before Christmas. It turned into a rather delicious beef in beer with a bit of magic from the slow cooker.
    £90 was spent at the supermarket as I’d run low on quite a lot of basics. 
    I have been waiting for an ankle brace for about 6 months. I’d had an  appointment sent from the consultant to see how I was getting on with it. I ended up cancelling as I hadn’t received it. So I promptly chased it up and surprise, surprise they’d spoken to the company providing it that day to chase it up. A couple of days later I had a phone call to see if I could go on Thursday morning. I did…..anyway the upshot is that the brace they ordered is not going to work for me so he took plaster cast molds to make a rigid brace. He isn’t expecting it to work but needs to try it to rule it out. I’ve got 2nd  consultant appointment through for May….not sure if I’ll have the new brace by then so I could well end up cancelling again.
    Not much planned for today. I cancelled aqua as I need a restful day as I’m quite tired and need to recharge my batteries. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah what a pain about the brace. Why does nothing work! You could have found out 6 months ago and have agreed or ruled out the second choice of brace by now 😖
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 2lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,653 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    The blooming joys of orthotics!! 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    Options
    😂😂 I had a phone call from the appointment dept of the hospital. ‘Can we bring your gynaecologist appointment forward to tomorrow’ 😳😳 ‘ I don’t have a gynaecologist appointment’ - ‘Oh…..you must be on the waiting list…..we’re trying to get through everyone to get the list down’ ‘As far as I know I’m not waiting for any gynae appointment’ ‘Oh I’m sorry……it’s….. an orthopaedic appointment’ 😂😂😂😂😂😂You couldn’t make it up 😂😂😂😂 ‘Can you make tomorrow afternoon’ ‘Yes I can make it but it would be a waste of everyone’s time as I’m still waiting for the brace to be made and the appointment is to discuss how I’m getting on with the brace.’ ‘Right we’ll get in touch in a few weeks’ ‘I already have an appointment in May’ ‘Ok - it’s probably best to leave things how they are’ We did have a laugh about the gynae/orthopaedic and she explained she’s been going through the different departments trying to bring folk forward into cancelled ones. Makes perfect sense rather than leaving them unused. I actually felt quite sorry for the lady as she was very apologetic and embarrassed. No harm was done but it certainly makes you realise the importance of triple checking facts before making phone calls.
    I had a day in doing some tidying and knitting yesterday and plan the same today. My friend popped over for a cuppa updating me on everything. My tummy has flared up and a couple of days at home should sort it. It’s a side effect of the  surgery. I think this last spell is the longest I’ve had in between flare ups.
    Nothing spent yesterday and the same planned today. We’re still enjoying the beef in beer. I’ll be quite sorry when it’s finished.

January spends - £587.58
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The beef in beer sounds lovely. 

Not made that for ages. Usually do ours with Guiness.
  • milann
    Options
    The beef in beer has all gone. The leftover gravy was delicious on chips and felt like a real treat. They were air fried chips so not too bad 👍 I lost another 1/2 lb at sw yesterday. I’m back to where I was a couple of weeks ago. 
    Not much has been happening. I sat with friends relative whilst she visited Dh in hospital and have nearly finished my cardigan that I’ve been knitting since last year - only the front ribs to do now so hopefully it’ll be finished before weekend. 
    Less than £10 has been spent over the last few days on potatoes and bread and milk. 
    I need to repot some tomato plants into bigger pots but it’s been so cold today I haven’t ventured out other than a quick trip to aqua to make use of my gym membership.
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure