We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on the half pound loss. The beef and the gravy chips sounded delicious.
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A loss is a loss.

Mine was a half pound as well this week. But it is all in the right direction.  :) 
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,704 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another few lazy days here. I have spent far too much time procrastinating and not getting much done. Much of what I want to do is potting on some plants and I can’t muster any enthusiasm as even when it’s not raining it’s too blooming chilly. 
    We did see ds yesterday and went out for dinner to use some Mr T vouchers from last year. I still have 1 lot to use and need to use them next month before the date runs out.
    i paid my Mr T cc on Friday evening and it’s still pending. The funds are in my bank…..not sure what’s going on as they usually go through within minutes. I’ll chase it up tomorrow if nothing happens. I’ve never known them not collecti monies due to them before 😳🤷🏻‍♀️ and it’s the same account I always use.
    I have very nearly finished knitting the cardigan I started knitting last summer. Just the sleeves to sew in and a button to sew on. I’ll be glad to see the back of it. I’m going on a crochet cardigan course tomorrow evening. I could do it myself without the course but it’s only £15 for 2 sessions including refreshments and I do like to craft with others. Plus there is 10% of any wool bought but there’s no pressure to buy - you can take your own. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    I got up and decided to get started straight after breakfast with a general tidy of the house (I often sit and think about it for quite some time before getting going) Washing is all done and put away 😇. The house wasn’t  too bad so I thought I’d have had the whole house done and dusted by early afternoon so I could settle down and finish my cardigan as I was determined to have it completed before the crochet course tonight. I only finished the house half an hour ago…..now I remember why I have to pace myself and do a bit at a time. Everything took me forever and I’m totally shattered now…..cardigan is still waiting to have the sleeves inserted. I really can’t be bothered going to the crochet course as I’m too tired but I’ve paid for it so I’ll chill for an hour and then head out. I will finish the cardigan before I do anymore to the new one though. I will spend cash buying some yarn tonight. I can’t decide what colour to go for. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • WinterWarrior
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the crochet course. I am in my green and blue period right now 🤭
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £2000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 6 lb’s so far

• milann
    Options
    I did indeed enjoy the crochet course. It was an amazing transformation from a hexagon that had a kink in it and as it grows folds into an L shape. This L shape becomes one side of the front, back and sleeve. So we aim to have 2 hexagons made in time for the next class in June where we will be shown how to join them together and add extra bits to make a cardigan. I’ll easily have the 2 shapes made by then as I’ve already finished 1 of them. Most folk were choosing very bright colour changing coloured wools. I chose a beigey shade as I know I’ll wear it with bright coloured tops. I’d already paid £10 deposit so just bought the wool which was 20% off on the night (or you could just take your own) I went to pay the balance of the classes and was told she was only asking for £10 - she’d previously said £15 for the course as it had a good up take. There were 5 of us. So I was a happy bunny and paid just paid for the wool 😁 I could have got it cheaper in a supermarket but it supports the local shop and the lady is so helpful- it’d be sad to see it vanish because nobody uses it, and it feels lovely 😁 So £10 included classes with refreshments, and a pattern plus £15 for the wool and hours of entertainment crocheting 😁
    i sat with a friend’s relative again yesterday whilst they were at the hospital and thoroughly enjoyed my wool craft session(I’m also on a mission to finish all the kitted items I’ve started ) whilst watching re runs of old soaps……it’s how she likes to spend her day. It’s just such a sad, sad situation. They’re waiting for a place in a local care home for her. It’ll break her son’s heart to see her go but he isn’t fit enough to look after her now. 
    I also nipped to SW yesterday and lost another 1lb - slowly but surely. Now I need to keep it off as this 1 lb has visited several times before (it’s also brought many friends along). I also spent a lovely hour pottering in the garden. It’s my type of weather - warm with a lovely breeze. Pity it due to change again 😏
    i went to the hospital this morning to collect the ankle brace. It was awful.It was so uncomfortable and hurt my ankle so much I could hardly walk on it, so he is going to alter it and hopefully it’ll be ok🤞🤞🤞 So I need to postpone my orthopaedic appointment again as it’s to review how I’m getting on with the brace and I still don’t have it.
    My car insurance is due next week and I’d had a quote from my old company. It had gone up by £50…..more than I originally thought when I first glanced at  the e mail but it is what it is. I tried paying and kept getting kicked off the site, so I phoned to pay over the phone as I’ve done many times. They don’t accept phone payments anymore….i had a bit of a moan but said I’d still go ahead. The man talking to me was talking so fast just reeling off  facts as he was telling me about the details, he must say these hundreds of times but I couldn’t understand him. I asked him to slow down. He eventually said he’d send a link to make the payment. He did and it wouldn’t open. By then I was loosing it and decided they don’t deserve my custom. So I’ve been down the rabbit hole of looking for car insurance. I went on MSE site, one of the better quotes was from my actual bank. So I went via my bank account and it is £52 cheaper than the quote I tried to pay today and slightly cheaper than the site. I haven’t actually paid it yet but will plough over it again tomorrow and get a 2 nd opinion from Dh about the finer details before I commit tomorrow. My head is frazzled looking at quotes atm. We went for a walk in the sunshine this afternoon. We have a new fancy pants bus station in town with a park above it, so we had a stroll along the river and went to see what all the fuss is about. It is actually quite nice - just hope it stays that way and doesn’t get vandalised. It isn’t as big as I imagined it to be but a lovely addition to the town…..well it will be when the surrounding area is also finished and there isn’t lots of builders noise in the background.
    Dh has nipped out and I’m enjoying a bit of peace and quiet 😁
    January spends - £587.58
  • WinterWarrior
    Options
    The cardigan sounds lovely and the colour choice is perfect!
    Well done on the MSE insurance saving.

• milann
    Options
    What a contrast in weather today. It’s back to winter. Grey, cold and rainy. 
    I quite fancied Dh making me a couple of planters for by my front door. Much as I love Millie Motorhome whilst we’re away it certainly dominates the front garden and I don’t love it quite so much 😏😂. Even though the front garden is tarmac, it used to look quite pretty with the pots of flowers I had. So we went to price up some wood to make some new planters and spruce it up a bit. I’ve transferred the old pots to the back garden with potatoes in them. It would have cost £100 for pre made wooden ones thumbs which weren’t quite the right size but they’d have done the job….£70 for Dh to buy the wood and make them, along with much hard work and ooohhhhhing and arrrghing along with a little bit of cursing for good measure 😇😂 or for some recycled plastic tubs AND metal trellis from Ald!. Ald! was a bit of a non brainer…. I now have somewhere to prow my  sweet peas and geranium and something for them to grow up. I want to get some trailing lobelia and begonias to go with them. I intended planting seed but never quite got around to it. I was quite pleased with my purchases 😁
    The little bit of sunshine we had has inspired me to get out in the garden…I do love a potter around. I’m hoping the nice weather makes a reappearance 🤞
    Some photos of the walks we had during Covis lockdown popped up before and what a contrast in the weather as we were out and about on our local walks. As bad as that time was…..at least we had good weather.
    Car insurance is sorted £235 for the year and £199 excess. Some companies were double that 😳

January spends - £587.58
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your planters sound ideal milann - should make a lovely display of your plants in the front garden. 
    The car insurance debacle sounded like a right pain!  I hate it when the call operators rattle off their spiel so fast you can't understand them!  I always tell them to slow down too!  I know it must be boring for them reading out the same old rubbish but it is annoying. Sky are my least favourite!😡
    Goodnews that you managed to get a good car deal in the end though. 👍
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • milann
    Options
    Not sure where time has gone. I’m in a bit of a mission to reduce my screen time. So have been doing lots of pottering, crocheting and knitting instead.
    Ive also been painting my fence. It’s really hard going this year as I’m finding I’m doing more resting in between painting half panels. At this rate it’ll be time to start again at the beginning just as I get to the end 😂 It’s taken 2 days to do 1 side of the garden -and it’s only a small garden.Slowly but surely will still get the job done though. 👍
    As soon as Dh finishes work I’m getting rid of my car. I’ve done less than 1,500 miles in a year. It’s handy to get me where I want but more often than not I use the tram. We will still have Dh car that I have access to if I need it.
    Over the bank holiday we had a lovely day at a Victorian steam fair at a seaside place just in Wales. It was very busy so we headed towards the mountains afterwards for something to eat away from the crowds. We had delicious fish and chips, had a walk to see a waterfall and finished off in a lovely pub. The traffic had eased by the time we headed home. 
    We went to Costc@ on Monday and I stocked up on lots of things £100 spent but it’ll last a good while.
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure