We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,690 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went fo a lovely Sunday lunch near to home. It was very nice except the starter which we’d chosen to have as a shared one turned up very cold in the centre….so we sent it back. They were full of apologies and replaced the chicken croquettes and also removed them from the bill. We’d chosen our food and it used all my Mr T vouchers - However with the £8 for the starter coming off the bill I didn’t use all my vouchers. I have to use £9.50 on the remaining voucher by the end of the week. I put a bit of cash to the total of today’s bill which is a bit of a pain as I’d planned to use all the vouchers and I hadn’t planned another meal out this week….but I don’t want to loose my voucher and they can only be used against food. I do think £18 cash for a shared starter, 3 Sunday lunches and 3 drinks was excellent and of course £46 worth of vouchers. We went a ride in the countryside about half an hour away and stopped off at an ice cream farm for our pudding of ice cream - which was delicious. We carried on another 20 minutes and went for a walk to somewhere we’ve never been before….it used to be salt mining land. It was so peaceful except for the birdsong and there were very few folk there. We stopped part way around the walk for a rest and had a drink in a pub  and a cool down as it was very hot - thankfully there was a lot of dappled shade from the trees along the walk. Unfortunately not many benches to sit on. The circuit we took was only a short rout less than 2 miles. 
    I’m meeting some old work friends tomorrow in town so I’m looking forward to that - we always put the world to rights with a good laugh. This week I need to do some serious tidying as I don’t do gardening and house work on the same days anymore -and gardening won’t the battle last week…..the basics have been done but it needs some spit and polish and a Hoover everywhere. I’ve got a dentist appointment and a phone consultation with the orthopaedic doc this week too. Tuesday and Thursday but I’ll have to check which is on what day.
    i want to pay my cc in full tomorrow. It’s been taking quite a few days to go through recently whereas at one time it went out moire or less instantaneously. Not sure what’s going on there but I don’t want to be late with my payments.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    I did a silly thing this morning 😂😂😂 I go to SW on a Wednesday either 7.30 or 9.30. I actually prefer the 7.30 as it’s a very small group of lovely people and it’s easy to get parked in a funny shaped carpark which I hate. I’d been debating (again) whether to bother as my head wasn’t in it at all last week. I looked at my watch as I lay in bed and it was 6.55….I took the bull by the horns - jumped up, had a bath and was out of the door pronto. I got to the carpark and there was only 1 car there and the door was locked. I checked my watch again. 6.50 - 5 minutes before the last time I’d checked - only this time I was wearing my specs 🤓. Sooooooo it must have only been 5.55 when I got up 🤪😜☺️☺️☺️😂😂😂😂 the scales gave me an extra 1 lb which was totally my own fault as I’ve eaten out several times and even had coffee and cake whilst out on my own……something I haven’t done for years. It gave me the kick up the behind I needed though.
    The rest of the day has been quite a lazy one of knitting and sewing with a bit of washing for good measure. I was up to date with the immediate housework and I was tired. I even cancelled aqua, everything else will wait. I do want to sort my paperwork box out….things have been put in the box but need filing properly. Can’t remember how long since I last did it.
    My credit card has been paid in full.
    I'm fed up of the election already. I do like to know the actual news and what is going on but they’re already repeating the same speculative stories over and over. Speculation isn’t news  😏 All I can say is I don’t want somebody making decisions for me who hasn’t got the sense to get an umbrella in heavy rain 💦☂️🤷🏻‍♀️
    We go away mid June for  just over 2 weeks so I want to do a proper deep clean before we go. I started yesterday and sorted my bedroom drawers and bottom of my wardrobe. It wasn’t too bad just needed a general tidy as I had a big sort out a few months ago. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 91,053 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It made me laugh that RS got wet :lol:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    Options
    Had a telephone appointment this morning re my ankle. The doc has ordered another appointment face to face with the main man….and it seems like a fusion might be on the cards again. She wants a 2nd opinion and various tests to see if anything can be done to help….watch this space…
    Ironing has been tackled this morning, there wasn’t much to do at all. I still have £9.50 voucher for the pub we visited on Sunday to use before it runs out at weekend so we’ll probably go to out for a late dinner early tea to make use of it. It’s freezing cold and still chucking it down with rain here. Hope that wasn’t summer last week…it was lovely whilst it lasted.
    Credit card was paid after 3 attempts as the website crashed every time I reached a certain point.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    We didn’t end up going out today, but ate from the freezer as the weather has been dire and Dh ended up popping into work for a couple of hours. Hopefully it’ll be drier tomorrow and we can go out for a ride and enjoy a meal with the voucher ( and a bit of added cash) 
    I have now finished one side of the patchwork bag I’m making with the craft group. Another couple of weeks before I need to have the 2 nd side completed and take it for the next session. I’m quite pleased how the material gifted to me goes with the needle cord from my stash 😁
    January spends - £587.58
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The weather has not been great at all. 

Forecast looks terrible for the weekend in North Norfolk where we will be. But I won't be at work so I am really not bothered!
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I hope you get out for your ride and meal today. 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 3 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• milann
    Options
    Not sure where time has gone. 
    We did get out to use the last of our Tesco vouchers and had a lovely meal on Friday. From there we met someone from the singing group and headed on the train to see part of a brass band competition which travels through some rural villages and towns. We had a very pleasant and unexpected afternoon. I was the only one who doesn’t have a bus pass so had to pay £7.50 for a train ticket. Dh and friend just flashed their passes which can be used on trains and trams within the county for £10 a year……bargain. I’ll get mine in September when I get my pension.
    On Saturday we headed on the tram again into town. Mainly because we wanted to do something without much walking involved. We timed it right…..a run was just finishing and the football fans were just arriving to watch a bus tour so there was a great atmosphere with lots of happy people about. I went to a craft shop I haven’t been to for years and only spent £3 on some blank cards. I wanted to collect a stamp which would let me enter  into a draw for some free wool…watch this space 🤞 We saw some of the flower festival that was on over the bank holiday and then just went for a drink before heading home, so another good afternoon.
    I finally got to see my brother yesterday. My nephew picked me up from and dropped me at the tram station as he was there taking my brother for a hospital appointment so I saw him and my brother briefly and chatted to my lovely sister in law in peace 😂😂
    I have been to aqua for the 1st time in a while. They’re doing something to the pool roof so they’ve given folk a chance to put a hold on membership during the month of June whilst it’s going on. This suits me fine as we will be away for over 2 weeks so I thought I’d better get a session in today before having a month off. This also pushes my renewal date to just on Christmas so I’ll put a hold on again at some point to bring it to New Year, as I don’t really want to pay out over Christmas.
    i have also sent my receipts from both myself and Dh dentist off to have the payments reimbursed. No point having insurance if I don’t put a claim in. 
    I went to SW this morning and was very pleased to have lost the LB that keeps visiting again……hopefully it’ll stay off this time. I really want to take a dress on holiday but the buttons are bulging…..not sure if I can do much about it in 2 weeks but I’ll give it a go.

January spends - £587.58
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, was that Saddleworth's brass bands? I grew up in one of the villages there 😊
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • milann
    Options
    Yes Floss. We were at Greenfields where it all started then the busses took the bands around different places. We spent a couple of hours there.
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure