Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Comments

• It’s a big shock Take things easy for as long as you need to
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,569 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I hadn’t managed to get on this weeks aqua as I’d lost the momentum of booking 8 days in advance with being away and having the family at home. Anyway after chatting to a friend this morning about it I double checked and there was a space. Must have been a last minute cancellation so I was very pleased. I had to pop to do a couple of messages and outside one of the places I went there was a bundle of what looked like £20s on the floor. I picked it up and it was indeed £20s.  In total shock I took it into the place and handed it in. When they  counted it there was £200 all wrapped in an elastic band 😳. They’ve  taken my name and if it isn’t claimed it’ll be mine. I didn’t think to ask the time limit…I’ve got it in my head it’s 6 months. This is the 2 nd time in a couple of months I’ve found cash on the floor….£40 last time, handed back to a lady obviously looking for something in her bag. I’m  not expecting to hear anything about it tbh…..as it’ll either be claimed or the establishment won’t say anything and put it to their profits. But my conscience is clear though, if £200 worse off 😂😂
    I need to do some tidying up this afternoon…..it’s not bad but just needs a bit of spit and polish, Hoover and dust 👍
    Im meeting a friend tomorrow and we’re heading to a local Tudor House for a mooch around….hope it’s not too rainy. Looking forward to it.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Been out with a friend today. It poured down but we still managed to visit a Tudor House nearby and short walk around the park. A lovely day. 

I went to SW this morning and had put 1/2 lb on…..not ideal but I haven’t been since before I went to Bristol and we ate out every day then the gks arrived…so it could have been much worse. I went to a 7.30 group and it was lovely- just 6 people that stayed everyone else dashed off. If I can prize myself out of bed I might go more often to that group. It’s not looking good for wearing a dress a week on Monday…..but maybe in the summer for a family party.

I’m tired as I tossed and turned most of the night….my imagination working overtime 🙄 So it’ll be an early night tonight and chilled day tomorrow me thinks.

This afternoon I finished watching the drama about the pandemic….powerful drama and the scary thing is those things were actually happening at the time. It’s hard to believe what people lived through and seems like yesterday and years ago all rolled into one.
    Dh has just had to go out to buy a new house phone as the old one died yesterday. 

January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,211 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Just watching final episode of Breathtaking now 😢😢
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I’m glad you had a lovely day today and I was sorry to read about your friends husband.
    i do hope the money comes back to you, but even if it doesn’t you will have stored up £200 worth of good karma! 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,211 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    7.30 am do you mean?! 
    Eeek. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 February at 9:00AM
    Just catching up with your diary. Glad you had a good few days away in Millie.

Our van is a pain to bleed the water system though when it has been drained down in the winter. It takes an absolute age to bleed the air out of the water system. Even the hab check guy said ours was a pain to do compared to most!

Must be how they have routed the water pipes through the van.

We have been busily booking bank holiday trips this last couple of days. We realised we had not sorted them out yet and bank holidays tend to book up quickly! We are at the in laws in Scotland for Easter, North Yorkshire for the early May bank holiday, Wells next the Sea for the late May bank holiday and Henley on Thames for the August bank holiday.

Sorry to hear about your friend.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,258 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    How awful about your friend's DH, brings back memories of Mr SA 11 years ago. I hope things turn out to be better than expected. 

What a find with the money, it would be lovely if you got to keep it, although someone must be missing it surely? At least if it's claimed I hope you get a reward. 
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • milann
    The money I found gave me a couple of very disturbed nights sleep. I shouldn’t have watched Kin on catch up before I went to sleep. The rolled up money I found and tv show got muddled in my dreamy head and I was being chased by the gangsters that had lost it 😱😱😱 overactive imagination for sure 😂 
    Thanks for the well wishes for my friend. There’s still some test results to come through but the ones they already have aren’t good 😢 
    I went to aqua this morning and it’s definitely a lot easier than it was 👍 I’m not sure if I’ll make it next week as I’ve got various little appointments and meetings next week which all seem to fall at the aqua times. I’ll just go for a couple of swims instead. 
    I’m disappointed with my weekly singing which I really enjoyed. He’s changing the way he collects his money. It was just pay on the day but he wants to collect monthly in advance. I wouldn’t have a problem with this if I could attend every week but as we will be away a lot of Fridays in Millie I’m not paying for a lot of sessions I won’t be attending. He says he’s still trying to work a regime out that’ll work for everyone. I’ll go tomorrow as it’s the last pay as you go session and see what the outcome is. Ah well it was nice whilst it lasted. There is a community meeting near me on a Friday morning and I’ll go and see what it’s about. It’s to bring the locals of all ages together. Not sure what happens there but I’ll give it a go if the singing falls through.
    Dh got a new phone yesterday. They were 2 for £25 but the ring tones on them are awful. So he’s managed to use the old phones with the charging unit, as that was giving us the problem. We only really use it for incoming calls and I don’t really want to get rid of it as hospitals etc contact me with the house phone.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Had a couple of days busy doing nothing. We did go on the tram to the local outlet shopping centre where I bought my top and boots a few weeks ago. Dh is now the proud owner of a waistcoat and a warmer pair of trousers for our visit to Bath next week. The trying on waistcoat experience last week has given him the wake up call he needed. He is now thinking very carefully what he snacks on (most meals he eats are perfectly fine as he eats what I eat ) 👍 and how many hot chocolate drinks he has 😳 that is definitely his weak point.  He looked quite acceptable in the new gear and doesn’t scrub up too badly 😂 - I just need to turn the trousers up about a foot 😂😂 the only ones they had were longer length and he usually wears shorter ones. But since they were reduced from £50 to £20 it’s worth the effort. The waistcoat was reduced to £5 👍👍 So he has a complete new outfit including new shoes for under £60 which is pretty good going since we saw the exact shoes in MandS for £55…..the ones at the outlook village must have been returns and we paid £20 😁
    Ds came around yesterday and we went to a local(ish) beauty spot where we had a bit of a walk and sat looking at the view over the edge towards the hills. Pity the farm had been burning something but they have to work…..it did marr the view a tad. I struggled though as the ground was more uneven than I’d remembered ( the soil has washed away from compressed stones paths) and it really messed my ankle so we called into a Hungry Horse on the way home to use some Tesc@ vouchers as I couldn’t have stood in the kitchen. Twas a rather lovely steak with jacket and salad so nothing too calorific 😁  I haven’t done much at all today other than drive  to the supermarket for a few bits and put some washing in as my foot is still rubbish. 
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure