Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great work with all your vehicle cleaning milann - as you say that's a good saving made over just taking it to the local place to get it done isn't it. I usually take ours to the jetwash as we've not got water at the front of the house - when we were in the flat bizarrely it was easier as we had an outside tap fitted on the wall outside the kitchen and could run the hose from there. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,649 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m not sure where the last week or so has gone.
    We had a lovely if wet time in Bristol. We hadn’t realised when we booked but there was a light festival on. We spent a couple of evenings wandering around viewing the lights. It was really lovely as it’s often dark and gloomy In January and February. We visited a relative in Bath and sorted out details of our visit in March. Much time was spent sitting in various eating and drinking establishments whilst we people watched the folk walking along the river as we sheltered from the rain. We stopped at the Swedish furniture shop on our way home for a cheap bacon butty 😂😂😂😂😂£130 later I’m now the proud owner of a new set of pans and various other items I didn’t even know I wanted until I saw them. In my defence m’lord I’ve been looking for new pans for a while - since I watched the film about the non stick surfaces on pans 😳😳 I’ve had to rearrange my cupboard as one of the pans is enormous. I wouldn’t mind ds has a branch of the shop a 2 minute drive from his house so it’s not as if we don’t get chance to visit. We had a slight glitch in the van as the water wouldn’t run…..we could hear the pump working but nothing was coming through  the pipes. Dh did some research and had a bit of a fiddle but nothing. He was a bit reluctant to do much more whilst were away and it was a good site with everything we needed. He expected to have to get a new pump. Once we got home he investigated further and it was just some sort of air lock. We’d expected to have to get a new pump so £100+ saved 👍
    I’m off to pick Dd and the gks from the train station in 10 minutes so it’ll be another busy week in Milannland. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good time. A film about non stick pans doesn’t sound very exciting 🤣🤣 My pans are stainless steel, I’ve had them for years and they still look brand new. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,217 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My sister & I both got engaged to our partners the same year & for an engagement gift, my Mum bought us both a set of a decent brand of stainless steel pans. She & Dad had recently bought a set & liked them so much, they thought they'd spread the pan love. Well, over 23 years later, our set still looks as good as new. And I've had the same steel wok for 41 years! I do like new cookware, but I don't think I am going to be replacing pans for a good while yet, based on their longevity to date!
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,710 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy seeing family  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    milann said:
    I’m not sure where the last week or so has gone.
    We had a lovely if wet time in Bristol. We hadn’t realised when we booked but there was a light festival on. We spent a couple of evenings wandering around viewing the lights. It was really lovely as it’s often dark and gloomy In January and February. We visited a relative in Bath and sorted out details of our visit in March. Much time was spent sitting in various eating and drinking establishments whilst we people watched the folk walking along the river as we sheltered from the rain. We stopped at the Swedish furniture shop on our way home for a cheap bacon butty 😂😂😂😂😂£130 later I’m now the proud owner of a new set of pans and various other items I didn’t even know I wanted until I saw them. In my defence m’lord I’ve been looking for new pans for a while - since I watched the film about the non stick surfaces on pans 😳😳 I’ve had to rearrange my cupboard as one of the pans is enormous. I wouldn’t mind ds has a branch of the shop a 2 minute drive from his house so it’s not as if we don’t get chance to visit. We had a slight glitch in the van as the water wouldn’t run…..we could hear the pump working but nothing was coming through  the pipes. Dh did some research and had a bit of a fiddle but nothing. He was a bit reluctant to do much more whilst were away and it was a good site with everything we needed. He expected to have to get a new pump. Once we got home he investigated further and it was just some sort of air lock. We’d expected to have to get a new pump so £100+ saved 👍
    I’m off to pick Dd and the gks from the train station in 10 minutes so it’ll be another busy week in Milannland. 
    Glad you had a nice time while you were away 😊I don't use non stick pans either. I bought a couple of stainless steel pans from the Swedish store last year and love the. I could do with another of the smallest ones because I only use that one when I'm on my own. I'm going to ours soon to buy another one and some glass storage boxes to put food in the freezer. I have plastic takeaway containers at the moment but don't like putting them in the microwave. The Swedish store do glass ones with a silicone lid so I'm going to try some of those and they should last a lifetime unless I smash one 😀 I also use enamel trays for roasting and baking because they can be scrubbed with a scoured without being scratched .

What a relief you didn't have to replace the pump 🎉🎉🎉
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • milann
    Options
    It was actually a very good film about the flaky bits coming away from the tefl@n pans and the health effects it had on folk. Certainly food for thought…..can’t remember what it was called though. Ds replaced his pans as soon as he saw it. I have had my old set well over 20 years so they don’t owe me anything. There is actually very little wrong with the bigger pans but the 2 smaller pans were  getting worse for wear. I do still have a big pan that I bought in our old house and we’ve lived here 40 years 😱 It has a copper bottom and still comes up like new with a bit of lemon juice and salt 👍 I’ve made a batch of chicken, veg and lentil soup in it today - very tasty it was too.
    Great fun has been had this afternoon….the gks made themselves at home quickly and we enjoyed tossing pancakes. They have requested baking and trip out to a local park tomorrow so that should be good too. Thursday and Friday we will be doing something with ds and Dh too as they’re both off work. Will probably be a visit to a museum in town as I don’t think the weather is great.
    January spends - £587.58
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I sadly had to change woks when we moved as my much loved old one is too "round bottomed" to work on the induction hob - it starts out OK but as soon as it gets hot the base bows out slightly and it stops making contact. Mine wasn't quite as old as Foxgloves one, but not that far behind! 

have a lovely time with the GKs Milann! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • milann
    Options
    Today has flown by again. We made a very belated birthday cake for ds…..a Jamie recipe which has home made lemon curd and raspberry sauce. It’s quite labour intensive as cakes go but definitely worth the effort. It took myself and the girls part of yesterday we finished it off this morning. Ds was very pleased….as were the gks with our efforts. Half has already been frozen for a later date as it’s quite a substantial cake. I have a jar and a half of delicious lemon curd in the fridge too 😁
    Dd and ds have gone out to the big city tonight so I’ve enjoyed having the girls to myself as Dh has gone out too. They chose what they wanted for tea and watched a daft kids film but it was lovely. We’re heading over to ds house in the  morning where dd stayed last night. We’re heading to see my brother which is only a junction away from Dh house then to the science museum in town followed by a Chinese at ds house. Everyone is heading home early on Saturday. It goes so quickly when they’re here. It’ll seem so quiet next week.
    I haven’t actually spent that much money as I resisted buying clothes for them yesterday in M@rris@ns. I did treat us to a drink and cake in the park yesterday but that has been all I’ve spent which is quite unusual when they visit.
    January spends - £587.58
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like such a lovely time. I’m side eyeing my non stick pans now!
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 2lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport