🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Milann’s mutterings through retirement

Options

Comments

• WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    In answer to the January question…about 700 days by my reckoning 🤭
    The weigh in was a great result, you did well! 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 3 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,660 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was watching tv last night - After the Flood. Not only did my local market pop up but the lovely stall I sometimes go to for a sandwich and cuppa was featured. The characters were sitting there quite a while and there was a fab shot of the outside of the outside of the market.  I hadn’t realised they’d filmed there. They do seem to film a lot of things round and about.
    No plans of any spends today. Dh is nipping into town for an eye test. Think I’ll have another quiet day.
    I was quite surprised last night whilst using my new I pad. It stayed cold…..I hadn’t realised how hot my old one had been getting. 
    January spends - £587.58
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 February at 2:25PM
    Options
    Psst - Beanie....jar lids - run under the hot tap until the metal or plastic gets warm and then use a slightly damp cloth to help you grip the jar. I often find that sort of bracing the hand with the jar against my leg helps. that method works the best on anything that might have got sticky round the top though as it helps to melt it as well as expanding the jar lid fractionally. 

After the Flood sounds good - I might have to take a look! I have just downloaded the first episode of series 2 of Trigger Point as I enjoyed series 1. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,660 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EH - I am another, who like Beanie can’t undo jars. I’ve tried everything……hot ( even resorted to it just off the boil though I know I shouldn’t) tapping it, rubber mats to grip it, a pair of tongue like things. I just can’t do them. It’s all to to with the laxity in my joints  and muscle tone. I regularly have to nip to the neighbours to ask them to open them if there’s nobody in. Don’t even get me going on childproof lids 😵‍💫😳😱 I was having a big clean up before Christmas and had run out of bleach…..I resorted to asking the fella behind the till to loosen the top for me….which he did, although I expected him to say he wouldn’t because of health and safety. I did tell him I’d take full responsibility and would keep it upright 
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,785 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks EH.
    Have tried all of those too Milan. As you say I blame the crapola muscle tone.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I have found tapping doesn’t work, but a heavy handed clonk sometimes does the trick 😁 I do worry for my worktop though! 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 3 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• ladyholly
    ladyholly Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can buy gadgets to help you open lids I have one that came from my mum. I think it came from a shop that sells aids for people with disabilities. If I get desperate I get a kitchen knife and stab a hole in the top or hold it between the door and the frame at the hinge side. It doesnt do either your knives or the door any good but it does work.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,613 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    @beanielou I’ve tried several gadgets to open jars without success. Some jars open fine but others just don’t. However I’ve found a solution. I stab the lid with a sharp knife to let the air out, just a tiny stab does the trick. I cover the tiny hole with a piece of tape just in case. Never had any issues with contents going off or anything. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,237 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My method since developing arthritis in my hands is to take a robust metal tablespoon & deliver a few sharp bashes all around the rim of the lid. This loosens the thread & it is extremely rare for me not to be able to remove a tight lid using this method.
    F x

"For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,785 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks SA & foxgloves  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure