We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Octopus saving sessions
Comments
-
power down 6 to 7pm today
4 -
Sorry, haven't read all 259 pages of the thread. But, is there a consensus that Octopus is playing fast and loose when calculating the 'power down' sessions savings especially if you have battery and solar?
Reason I ask is I'm seeing wildly different amounts of electricity shifted to qualify for a happy hour. For example, on 28 September, Octopus calculated the home shifted over 4kw and on 30 September, didn't shift anything.
Yet when I look at the relevant stats and graphs for the 3 day in my Alpha ESS cloud \ app GUI, the figures are almost exactly the same yet Octopus say one day we shift 4kw and the other nothing.
I'm also noticing Octopus are taking an inordinate amount of time to actually calculate the amount of electricity shifted with the Octopus dashboard showing a 'calculating' status for sometimes 10 days!
1 -
Reason I ask is I'm seeing wildly different amounts of electricity shifted to qualify for a happy hour. For example, on 28 September, Octopus calculated the home shifted over 4kw and on 30 September, didn't shift anything.
Yet when I look at the relevant stats and graphs for the 3 day in my Alpha ESS cloud \ app GUI, the figures are almost exactly the same yet Octopus say one day we shift 4kw and the other nothing.
I wouldn't generally trust a BESS app for anything important.
What do you get if you plug your Octopus API key into this Streamlit app?
https://savingsessions.streamlit.app
I'm also noticing Octopus are taking an inordinate amount of time to actually calculate the amount of electricity shifted with the Octopus dashboard showing a 'calculating' status for sometimes 10 days!
That's not just you; Octopus can take a while with these things.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
I'm going to need to contact Octopus CS again, this time about my Happy Hours on 27/09.
Per my account page on the web, they've charged me:
- 1100-1130: 41p
- 1130-1200: 34p
- 1200-1230: £1.18
- 1230-1300: £1.01
A penny in each slot is standing charge, so I was expecting refunds of 73p for the first hour and £2.17 for the second.
They've actually credited me with 73p for one hour and 59p (!) for the other.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
TUESDAY 6/10 1800-1900 £210/MWh
Edit 75 points
4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy
CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com4 -
Just checked my refund for the 27th, and they are all present and correct for the 2h used (£2.75 refunded).
Your first hour looks to be correct. Does the amount for the second hour correspond for a different 1h period during the happy hour time slots? Maybe the wrong hour has been refunded??
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
Your first hour looks to be correct. Does the amount for the second hour correspond for a different 1h period during the happy hour time slots? Maybe the wrong hour has been refunded??
I don't think so, there isn't another hour that fits. My electricity use chart for the day looks like this:
It's also a bit odd that they've treated the first hour as an IOG "smart charging" off-peak hour, when it was definitely a boost charge. But that doesn't actually make a difference.
Maybe they've also refunded the second hour as though it was off-peak? It was 7.28kWh, which would be 58p at 8p/kWh …
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
this is why I’ve stopped using happy hours- wish I could give the ones I’ve got to someone who might want them.
Lancashire
PV 5.04kWp SW facing
Solar Battery 6.5 kWh
🐙 Intelligent Go
Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.1 -
No email (yet) or button to opt in on the app today, opted in on the webpage OK.
Edit:email turned up 20 mins later
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




