And it is on

You have to opt in to take part !!

Comments

• dn852k4
    dn852k4 Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2023 at 11:15AM
    Options
    Can we use these sessions to our advantage again or have they moved the goalposts this year?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    dn852k4 said:
    Can we use these sessions to our advantage again or have they moved the goalposts this year?
    I don't entirely understand your question. The whole idea is to take advantage of them.
    However, there has been a change to the calculation and there is no in-day adjustment any more. Your baseline is calculated from previous days.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    dn852k4 said:
    No you can't game the system this time around.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spies said:
    dn852k4 said:

Well, unless you take advantage of plunge pricing on Agile to run your central heating on electric when it's cheaper than gas but stop doing that when there is a session on.

When my replacement thermal store is in and I've got my automation setup, I think there is scope here to be quids in.

• TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bendo said:
    Spies said:
    dn852k4 said:

Well, unless you take advantage of plunge pricing on Agile to run your central heating on electric when it's cheaper than gas but stop doing that when there is a session on.

When my replacement thermal store is in and I've got my automation setup, I think there is scope here to be quids in.

You might have got things the wrong way around here - the saving sessions are most likely to take place when energy is most expensive i.e. at the opposite end of the scale from when agile is cheap. I doubt there’ll be many, if any, periods over winter where agile electric is cheaper than gas over the 4-7pm peak (the most probable time for a saving session to start).

You’d basically have to run your electric heating at the most expensive periods every day to maximise potential saving session gains, which is probably not a great tactic if the goal is to save money.
    Moo…
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bendo said:
    Spies said:
    dn852k4 said:

You might have got things the wrong way around here - the saving sessions are most likely to take place when energy is most expensive i.e. at the opposite end of the scale from when agile is cheap. I doubt there’ll be many, if any, periods over winter where agile electric is cheaper than gas over the 4-7pm peak (the most probable time for a saving session to start).

You’d basically have to run your electric heating at the most expensive periods every day to maximise potential saving session gains, which is probably not a great tactic if the goal is to save money.

Yeah. Hadn't really read anything about it. Having look now it's pretty pointless.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Bendo said:
    Bendo said:
    Spies said:
    dn852k4 said:

Yeah. Hadn't really read anything about it. Having look now it's pretty pointless.
    I made 8p yesterday 
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    masonic said:
    Chrysalis said:

But again, you dont need someone to opt in to make them aware, you merely need to notify them.  Someone might read the opt in notice in time for the session but not in time for the opt in.
    What is required by the scheme is a commitment from the end user for each session. This cannot be obtained through one-way notification. I agree however, that there is scope for improvement in regard to your second sentence. If someone still has time to make changes to their usage during the session, then they ought to be permitted to opt in.

Yeah, you can probably tell from my other posts as well, that I dont like this element of the scheme's design.

It rewards people who were using heavy then cut their usage, but doesnt reward people who already have low peak usage.  So its not targeted at people like me.

But what happens if you cut your usage for the first session, get decent octopoints for it, you do the same for the second session, but then they base that compared to the first session and its like dude you didnt save from the first session so no points for you, does it ignore previous session days?
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chrysalis said:
    masonic said:
    Chrysalis said:

But again, you dont need someone to opt in to make them aware, you merely need to notify them.  Someone might read the opt in notice in time for the session but not in time for the opt in.
    What is required by the scheme is a commitment from the end user for each session. This cannot be obtained through one-way notification. I agree however, that there is scope for improvement in regard to your second sentence. If someone still has time to make changes to their usage during the session, then they ought to be permitted to opt in.

But what happens if you cut your usage for the first session, get decent octopoints for it, you do the same for the second session, but then they base that compared to the first session and its like dude you didnt save from the first session so no points for you, does it ignore previous session days?
    Yes it does.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    Mind you their servers seem swamped and slow and I can't tell if I am opted in or not. Teething problems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback