We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Natwest / RBS / Ulster Bank £200 Switch Incentive

Options

Comments

• Stargunner
    Stargunner Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Robo-787 said:
    I'm thinking of changing from Barclays to Natwest, I know I'll get £200 for switching but won't benefit by getting an overdraft facility or anything else. I know the Natwest Select account has round-ups on your spending but it's just my money being saved in another account. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts?
    You don't need to switch your current Barclays account if you like the overdraft facility that you currently have. You can either open another Barclays current account or a current account with another provider and switch that to Nat West.
  • jaxkesa
    jaxkesa Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    jaxkesa said:
    Shedman said:
    Does RBS ask for photo ID during the application like Natwest does?
    Same method as NatWest - photo of ID and a live facial video via Hooyu

Shame, that puts it out of reach for me.  Weird that Ulster didn't require anything like that.

This is still strange practice for a mere account switch.
    This is not strange at all. They have to do their own checks to verify you.

I just got rejected trying to open a Natwest bank account using their strange photo ID / video method despite opening a credit card using the same process 3 weeks ago and starting the application process from their online banking.

"We need to check your identity when you open a bank account. Unfortunately, we couldn't do this with the information you gave us".

From what I've heard it's not worth going through the pain trying to phone them to sort it out.
    Then don't phone them

Start the process again and give them the information they require. 
    I gave them my driving licence, the same as I did 3 weeks before when they accepted it, The third party service they use for ID is obviously completely incapable.
  • Stargunner
    Stargunner Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jaxkesa said:
    MikeJXE said:
    jaxkesa said:
    Shedman said:
    Does RBS ask for photo ID during the application like Natwest does?
    Same method as NatWest - photo of ID and a live facial video via Hooyu

Shame, that puts it out of reach for me.  Weird that Ulster didn't require anything like that.

This is still strange practice for a mere account switch.
    This is not strange at all. They have to do their own checks to verify you.

I just got rejected trying to open a Natwest bank account using their strange photo ID / video method despite opening a credit card using the same process 3 weeks ago and starting the application process from their online banking.

"We need to check your identity when you open a bank account. Unfortunately, we couldn't do this with the information you gave us".

From what I've heard it's not worth going through the pain trying to phone them to sort it out.
    Then don't phone them

Start the process again and give them the information they require. 
    I gave them my driving licence, the same as I did 3 weeks before when they accepted it, The third party service they use for ID is obviously completely incapable.
    There are loads of people on this forum, including myself who managed to complete the Nat West id process without any problems and similar processes are used by a lot of banks nowadays.
  • Robo-787
    Robo-787 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When switching to Natwest, does the £1.250 have to be paid in straightaway or within 60 days?
  • Banksy_2
    Banksy_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Robo-787 said:
    When switching to Natwest, does the £1.250 have to be paid in straightaway or within 60 days?
    Within 60 days.
    Aim: Be mortgage free at 50 years old - TARGET HIT 12TH OCTOBER!!
    Current Status: Turned 50 in May 2023 - PAID OFF IN OCTOBER SO TARGET HIT!!

Money made from Bank Switching in 2023: £1,775 (target £1,600) - TARGET HIT!!
    Money made for Mrs B via Bank Switching in 2023: £1,275 (target £1,250) - TARGET HIT!!
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Robo-787 said:
    I'm thinking of changing from Barclays to Natwest, I know I'll get £200 for switching but won't benefit by getting an overdraft facility or anything else. I know the Natwest Select account has round-ups on your spending but it's just my money being saved in another account. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts?
    Open another Barclays current account (takes five minutes using the app) and swap that to NatWest. 
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks @dealyboy @masonic and @boingy; I'll apply and update here as to the results.
    600 Quid's worth of thanks to all on here; having switched to Natwest, followed by RBS and then Ulster I have now received all three bonuses.

Well going by this I'm going to try RBS :)
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Passport and livescan all okayed now, just waiting for them to tell me the accounts open :)
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • Banksy_2
    Banksy_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    £200 bonus in for me too. 

So far have successfully achieved bonuses with RBS & Nat West in the space of 4 months with a couple of other switches in between.

Same goes for my wife too.

Ulster Bank last one of the trio to try soon.

Checked my credit score and continues to improve with each switch - funny really as I expected it to go the other way. 

Me - 6 bank switches completed in the last 10 months. 
    Wife - 3 bank switches completed in the last 4 months.

£1,725 bonuses received combined.

Aim: Be mortgage free at 50 years old - TARGET HIT 12TH OCTOBER!!
    Current Status: Turned 50 in May 2023 - PAID OFF IN OCTOBER SO TARGET HIT!!

Money made from Bank Switching in 2023: £1,775 (target £1,600) - TARGET HIT!!
    Money made for Mrs B via Bank Switching in 2023: £1,275 (target £1,250) - TARGET HIT!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure