We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

In the Meantime

1…135136138140141…218

Comments

  • Loving that final line in your post.  We just need to keep it in mind.
    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
  • Temporary budgets are definitely necessary. I started thinking of it in company terms, like having an operating budget
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 10,925 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks @jwil I do feel very up and down of late. 
    Thanks @in_need_of_direction we do need to keep it in mind. I do believe it will be well :)
    Thanks @WelshmansDaughter a temporary budget is indeed an operating budget. I like that analogy  :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them

    Emergency fund 1400/1000
    Buffer fund 100/100
    Debt Free (again) 25/07/2025
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hope the trip goes well. 

    Good luck with the house offer. 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • Ha even Lidl has a courgette glut.

    If you keep salad veg like spinach leaves in water in the fridge they last a week or more.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 10,925 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks @WelshmansDaughter I love this time of year as I would eat courgettes every day if I could. I think veg lasts longer left in the dirt they grow in, wrapped in newspaper and washed when they are needed...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them

    Emergency fund 1400/1000
    Buffer fund 100/100
    Debt Free (again) 25/07/2025
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,324 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    I love courgettes.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 6,113 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I think I need to rethink my opinion of courgettes! I never know what to do with them and had a few bad experiences with them a long time ago (eating out) which put me off so much that I have never cooked with them myself. I’m going to look up some recipes and have a go as you’re all making me think I must be missing something 😁
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊

    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 23,953 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm not a huge fan of courgettes, though will eat them.

    Well done on the productive day and salad spinner bargain!

    I don't think 5% is a cheeky offer at all, I think it's reasonable.
    "Good financial planning is about not spending money on things that add no value to your life in order to have more money for the things that do". Eoin McGee
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.