We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Neon Reef - any views?

Options

Comments

• Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 February 2021 at 9:20PM
    Options
    I am moving hopefully in a couple of weeks so can't quite make any switch just yet , but when I do a quote, their tariff rates compared to most others and my current supplier, NF are absurdly cheap. Something like nearly a third less. 
    I suppose aside from any tolerable lack of service, if they get into real trouble we can switch or customers will be transferred to another supplier  but I cannot see the low tariffs I am being offered  on their website (one fixed for a £30 exit fee, one variable without) being sustainable  with the trend being that energy prices are going up substantially everywhere else.

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 February 2021 at 8:58AM
    Options
    That may be true, but why not take advantage whilst you can. I'm with Neon Reef at the moment and apart from Symbio or Enstroga who would cost me an extra £80-£90 everyone else is nearly £300 a more.

I've been going with the cheapest for the past ten years. Although there's a bit of inconvenience when they go bust (I've had three go under) I reckon I've easily saved several thousand pounds over that time compared with some of the big six (or seven) tariffs.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 February 2021 at 10:06AM
    Options
    Hopefully if NR do go bust (although I'd rather they didn't as just switching to them) it will be in the summer rather than start of next winter. Come May/June they will be entering the twilight 2 years of supply period which, like rockstars at 27, seems to the age at which new entrants expire.  At least then the extra costs of whatever tariff you get SOLR'd to won't be so onerous what with the lower consumption during summer.  

However, I'm expecting NR to pull the latest tariffs imminently (which is why I've gone for fixed)  and replace them with higher ones esp as Symbio now have
  • Patr100
    edited 14 February 2021 at 1:03PM
    Options
    That may be true, but why not take advantage whilst you can. I'm with Neon Reef at the moment and apart from Symbio or Enstroga who would cost me an extra £80-£90 everyone else is nearly £300 a more.

I've been going with the cheapest for the past ten years. Although there's a bit of inconvenience when they go bust (I've had three go under) I reckon I've easily saved several thousand pounds over that time compared with some of the big six (or seven) tariffs.
    Yes, I would likely go for them but I can't switch to an address I'm not actually in yet.
    If I switch now, all the details and the gradual switching would be for my current home, which I expect to be out of by the end of this month. I've sent them a message to see how practical that would be.

You can only change suppliers from the day you become responsible for the property. Switching will normally take about 21 days, so you’ll have to pay at least one bill with the current supplier.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/moving-home-dealing-with-your-energy-supply/#:~:text=You can only change suppliers,bill with the current supplier.

• Patr100
    edited 14 February 2021 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Shedman said:
    Hopefully if NR do go bust (although I'd rather they didn't as just switching to them) it will be in the summer rather than start of next winter. Come May/June they will be entering the twilight 2 years of supply period which, like rockstars at 27, seems to the age at which new entrants expire.  At least then the extra costs of whatever tariff you get SOLR'd to won't be so onerous what with the lower consumption during summer.  

However, I'm expecting NR to pull the latest tariffs imminently (which is why I've gone for fixed)  and replace them with higher ones esp as Symbio now have
    Yes. I am inclined to fix for a year as that is still very cheap from them so I have contacted them just now to see if I can start the switch so it applies to my new home (not a new build) - the process will still need to take a few weeks from the new place current supplier which I am informed by the house sellers is EDF.
    But I think I will have to wait til I get in there:
    You can only change suppliers from the day you become responsible for the property. Switching will normally take about 21 days, so you’ll have to pay at least one bill with the current supplier.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/moving-home-dealing-with-your-energy-supply/#:~:text=You can only change suppliers,bill with the current supplier.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Patr100 said:
    Shedman said:

Yes. I am inclined to fix for a year as that is still very cheap from them so I have contacted them just now to see if I can start the switch so it applies to my new home (not a new build) - the process will still need to take a few weeks from the new place current supplier which I am informed by the house sellers is EDF.
    But I think I will have to wait til I get in there:
    Don't forget to check the Referrers section of these forums for a referral link to get £25 credit if you do go with NR
  • Patr100
    Options
    They did reply promptly (today) but I will wait til I am moved in as no guarantee the broadband will be activated
    on the day expected, which would make switching or progress  follow ups harder.
    The switch will take 21 days to be completed from the date we receive your registration. It is advised to contact the current supplier and provide your details and moving in date otherwise they will object to the switch and this will delay your transfer.

• venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 February 2021 at 5:59PM
    Options
    Thinking of switching to Neon Reef. Are they any good  ?

Also do they do Gas too ? On the quote form it only mentions Electric
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,163 Forumite
    Options
    They don't do gas.  Look at Zog for that, pretty much at the top of the list and currently their 2 year fix is very close in price to the 1 yr.
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 February 2021 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Neon Reef don't do economy 7 ( although I did check the E7 box when getting a quote )
    Does that mean it's the same rate during the day as it is during the night ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback