1249250251252253255»

Comments

• ivanleo
    ivanleo Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ACCA said:
    Update from my side:

Called Citizens Advice, they recommended to touch base with the administrators of Neon Reef (ie Alvarez & Marsal) and explain them that the final bill has been computed incorrectly based on estimates. Just tried calling them and there was no answer, will try another time but hope that this will be beneficial for others who are struggling as I do.
    Forget about Neon Reef or their administrators, they're completely unresponsive. You need to go to the energy ombudsman, as I've said repeatedly but you've ignored me.
  • ACCA
    ACCA Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ivanleo said:
    ACCA said:
    Update from my side:

Called Citizens Advice, they recommended to touch base with the administrators of Neon Reef (ie Alvarez & Marsal) and explain them that the final bill has been computed incorrectly based on estimates. Just tried calling them and there was no answer, will try another time but hope that this will be beneficial for others who are struggling as I do.
    Forget about Neon Reef or their administrators, they're completely unresponsive. You need to go to the energy ombudsman, as I've said repeatedly but you've ignored me.
    Thank you and I did actually go to the ombudsman (not when you suggested but in late May when I ended up knocking a solid wall with BG). The response was: 

As previously advised I can see no evidence that supports that a credit it owing to you as a result of your account being migrated from Neon Reef. Even if there had been a credit balance on your account and a delay in British Gas receiving this balance, it is outside of the company’s control as to when it will receive the credit balance as it is reliant on a third party (administrators) transferring the balance.

Did you encounter the same issue? Did the ombudsman help you to sort it out?
  • ivanleo
    Options
    ACCA said:
    ivanleo said:
    ACCA said:
    Update from my side:

Thank you and I did actually go to the ombudsman (not when you suggested but in late May when I ended up knocking a solid wall with BG). The response was: 

As previously advised I can see no evidence that supports that a credit it owing to you as a result of your account being migrated from Neon Reef. Even if there had been a credit balance on your account and a delay in British Gas receiving this balance, it is outside of the company’s control as to when it will receive the credit balance as it is reliant on a third party (administrators) transferring the balance.

Did you encounter the same issue? Did the ombudsman help you to sort it out?
    I didn't have any problems getting my credit from British Gas, maybe it's because I sent my complaint to the CEO so it got dealt with by the CEO team. Anyway I know of one person who didn't get any joy from the ombudsman, they ended up just taking British Gas to the county court and their solicitors just settled straight away.

Without seeing all the paperwork from your case it's impossible to give definitive advice but the small claims court is what I'd be considering.
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Telegraph_Sam Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    I can't claim any great expertise in such situations but, thinking about the hoops one has to go through in order to take an issue through the small claims court (as was then), my inclination would be as a next step to approach Citizens Advice, if you can get to speak to them. Failing that, lateral thought, the nearest Trading Standards office. And failing that, taking out a limited subscription to the Which? Legal Service depending on the amount of £££'s at stake.
    Telegraph Sam
  • ivanleo
    Options
    I can't claim any great expertise in such situations but, thinking about the hoops one has to go through in order to take an issue through the small claims court ...
    No idea what you're talking about, you can file a claim on https://www.moneyclaims.service.gov.uk/ in all of 10 minutes. There is nothing Citizens Advice or Trading Standards can do (quite aside from the fact that you could waste hours and hours talking to them) you really, really don't need any sort of legal service for a relatively trivial claim like this. As long as the claim is clearly set out the overwhelming odds are that BG will just settle.
  • ACCA
    Options
    ivanleo said:
    I can't claim any great expertise in such situations but, thinking about the hoops one has to go through in order to take an issue through the small claims court ...
    No idea what you're talking about, you can file a claim on https://www.moneyclaims.service.gov.uk/ in all of 10 minutes. There is nothing Citizens Advice or Trading Standards can do (quite aside from the fact that you could waste hours and hours talking to them) you really, really don't need any sort of legal service for a relatively trivial claim like this. As long as the claim is clearly set out the overwhelming odds are that BG will just settle.
    Hey ho! I have filed a claim via Money Claims as you suggested but it hasn't moved since then. Looks like British Gas have engaged lawyers, those guys requested an extension a couple of times and have issued a letter suggesting that I call it quits based on the OFGEM resolution from 5 months back. There is no point in doing that as I am still short of those funds that have been overcharged by Neon Reef and no-one has has actually reimbursed those. It looks like there is no involvement from the Money Claims whatsoever, ie no independent view, is this normal? Where do I go next to actually have an independent opinion?

• ivanleo
    Options
    ACCA said:
    ivanleo said:
    Hey ho! I have filed a claim via Money Claims as you suggested but it hasn't moved since then. Looks like British Gas have engaged lawyers, those guys requested an extension a couple of times and have issued a letter suggesting that I call it quits based on the OFGEM resolution from 5 months back. There is no point in doing that as I am still short of those funds that have been overcharged by Neon Reef and no-one has has actually reimbursed those. It looks like there is no involvement from the Money Claims whatsoever, ie no independent view, is this normal? Where do I go next to actually have an independent opinion?

Moneyclaim is just a web interface to the County Court. When you say they have issued a letter, do you mean a Defence? If a Defence has been filed, then the case will proceed to a hearing before a District Judge in your local County Court hearing centre. If they have not filed a Defence, then you should be able to request a default judgment i.e. a CCJ.
  • ACCA
    edited 7 December 2022 at 11:46AM
    Options
    ivanleo said:
    Moneyclaim is just a web interface to the County Court. When you say they have issued a letter, do you mean a Defence? If a Defence has been filed, then the case will proceed to a hearing before a District Judge in your local County Court hearing centre. If they have not filed a Defence, then you should be able to request a default judgment i.e. a CCJ.
    Thanks for your swift turnaround and apologies for not make myself clearer.

An external legal team (ie lawyers) has been assigned by British Gas, they have been in touch with me, no communication came either from BG or County Court.
    1st letter from legal team was to introduce and ask for extension
    2nd letter from legal team was asking to call it quits and close the legal case
    3rd letter from the legal team saying: "We write further on behalf of the Defendant, British Gas Trading Limited, in the above named claim. We enclose the Defendant's N244 Application Notice, Draft Order and supporting Witness Statement of [First and Last name] by way of service upon you.", this letter then goes asking for a 1 hour hearing.

To conclude: I understand that the route is via County Court, as you described. 

A couple of questions if you could please give a hand:
    1. What is the timeline for this? It's been a month since the Defence letter has been issued but I have not received any invites for the hearing.
    2. Is this in person or online normally? 
    3. What's the best way to prepare to make this case a win for me?
    4. Do you suggest getting a lawyer involved?

Many thanks for your time.
  • ivanleo
    Options
    I can't give you detailed legal advice on a public forum, please message me directly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback