🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Neon Reef - any views?

Options

Comments

• ivanleo
    ivanleo Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ACCA said:
    So, i've been migrated to BG from NR as most of us. On the last/ final statement we ended up in credit (beneficial) position for me, meaning NR owed me money, around £200ish. I've been chasing BG on this point on a monthly basis since early Jan and always been told the same thing as 'we don't know, we will ask etc', so I ended up filling out a complaint with Ofgem in late May. 
    Have you actually made a formal complaint with BG? OfGem doesn't actually deal with these sorts of complaints, you'd have to take it to the Energy Ombudsman but you must file a formal complaint with BG first.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ACCA said:
     BG is the SOLR and is not responsible for the credits accumulated in NR account and I was referred to the administrators: Alvarez & Marsal, official physical address provided but I can't believe this is done these days on a hard letter.. 

Did anyone experience the same? If so - what's my best course of action?
    That is garbage !!! When NR went down BG were always responsible for customers' credits. Indeed , BG took responsibility for administering debts owed to NR as well. 
    Did you actually get a true final account from NR showing the credit ie up to the 20th November ,showing the final reading as used by BG as the opening read ??? If so ,copy that bill and send a complaint to BG by snail mail enclosing the copy asking for your credit .
  • goatfaced
    goatfaced Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    BG dealt with everyone's debt or credit. Maybe they haven't seen your final bill though. I hope it gets sorted for you soon.
  • ivanleo
    Options
    ACCA said:
     BG is the SOLR and is not responsible for the credits accumulated in NR account and I was referred to the administrators: Alvarez & Marsal, official physical address provided but I can't believe this is done these days on a hard letter.. 

That is garbage !!! When NR went down BG were always responsible for customers' credits. Indeed , BG took responsibility for administering debts owed to NR as well. 
    Did you actually get a true final account from NR showing the credit ie up to the 20th November ,showing the final reading as used by BG as the opening read ??? If so ,copy that bill and send a complaint to BG by snail mail enclosing the copy asking for your credit .
    Or even better, send a complaint by email to the chief exec, 
    Jana.Siber@britishgas.co.uk

• ACCA
    ACCA Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ivanleo said:
    ACCA said:
    So, i've been migrated to BG from NR as most of us. On the last/ final statement we ended up in credit (beneficial) position for me, meaning NR owed me money, around £200ish. I've been chasing BG on this point on a monthly basis since early Jan and always been told the same thing as 'we don't know, we will ask etc', so I ended up filling out a complaint with Ofgem in late May. 
    Have you actually made a formal complaint with BG? OfGem doesn't actually deal with these sorts of complaints, you'd have to take it to the Energy Ombudsman but you must file a formal complaint with BG first.
    Thanks for your response. I did end up filling out a formal complaint with BG yes, this came with no positive outcome that's why I ended up with Ofgem in the end. BG advised that they would only deal with debits (ie when customers owed NR for electricity used) which are to be transferred to the BG accounts, but not the credits as they didn't receive the funds collected by NR post administration day.
  • ACCA
    Options
    ACCA said:

I was of the same view as you, but based on BG's and Ofgem's words, the new supplier would only be responsible for the credits if there was an acquisition, not wind-down. Essentially BG were asked to take over from NR as those could not continue supplying, that's what makes things different from passion on the accounts.

Yes, I did receive the final bill with NR dated 12 Dec 2021 showing the debit (! not credit) of £200ish, but the issue is that the meter reading that NR used to compute the final figure was an estimate, despite me providing the actual readings. On the 7the Jan 2022 they took the payment of my bank account as DD and that's it. BG has asked me for the actual meter readings and billed me on this basis. I did supply BG with the NR final bill but they explained they do not deal with credits as this was a SoLR appointment, not a BG's wish to acquire NR.
  • ivanleo
    Options
    ACCA said:
    ivanleo said:
    ACCA said:
    Thanks for your response. I did end up filling out a formal complaint with BG yes, this came with no positive outcome that's why I ended up with Ofgem in the end. BG advised that they would only deal with debits (ie when customers owed NR for electricity used) which are to be transferred to the BG accounts, but not the credits as they didn't receive the funds collected by NR post administration day.
    Ofgem have nothing to do with it, if BG rejected your complaint you need to go to the Energy Ombudsman here: https://www.ombudsman-services.org/providers/british-gas
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2022 at 3:43PM
    Options
    ACCA said:
    ACCA said:

I was of the same view as you, but based on BG's and Ofgem's words, the new supplier would only be responsible for the credits if there was an acquisition, not wind-down. Essentially BG were asked to take over from NR as those could not continue supplying, that's what makes things different from passion on the accounts.

Yes, I did receive the final bill with NR dated 12 Dec 2021 showing the debit (! not credit) of £200ish, but the issue is that the meter reading that NR used to compute the final figure was an estimate, despite me providing the actual readings. On the 7the Jan 2022 they took the payment of my bank account as DD and that's it. BG has asked me for the actual meter readings and billed me on this basis. I did supply BG with the NR final bill but they explained they do not deal with credits as this was a SoLR appointment, not a BG's wish to acquire NR.
    There is your problem ! Your first post was misleading as you said the final NR statement showed in credit.
     Both companies should have used the same final/opening read - BG don't get any actuals credits from the defaulting Company -after all they are bust !! - the agreed credits all get totalled and come from a fund held by OFGEM (or more correctly from all UK Domestic customers via the standing charge)
    You still need to progress the matter via BG - THEY should reissue your bills with a new starting read as per NR's closing read - this needs to be dealt with at a high level in the Complaints operation ,so a formal written letter is the only way forward.
  • ACCA
    Options
    ACCA said:
    ACCA said:

There is your problem ! Your first post was misleading as you said the final NR statement showed in credit.
     Both companies should have used the same final/opening read - BG don't get any actuals credits from the defaulting Company -after all they are bust !! - the agreed credits all get totalled and come from a fund held by OFGEM (or more correctly from all UK Domestic customers via the standing charge)
    You still need to progress the matter via BG - THEY should reissue your bills with a new starting read as per NR's closing read - this needs to be dealt with at a high level in the Complaints operation ,so a formal written letter is the only way forward.
    Thanks for this, apologies for the misleading post in the first place.

I've submitted a formal complaint to BG and this has not turned out with success. I also complained to the Ofgem, the only thing they did is referred to the administrators: Alvarez & Marsal. I have popped A&M an email (the address I managed to find on this forum), but haven't heard back. I'd appreciate at least a response from them confirming the amount and the timelines. 

Do you know know looks after energy company administrators? It's been over 6 months now and I haven't heard from neither of them (A&M, BG, NR or Ofgem), which I consider to be a careless approach and would like to complain - who is the right body?
  • ACCA
    Options
    Update from my side:

Called Citizens Advice, they recommended to touch base with the administrators of Neon Reef (ie Alvarez & Marsal) and explain them that the final bill has been computed incorrectly based on estimates. Just tried calling them and there was no answer, will try another time but hope that this will be beneficial for others who are struggling as I do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure