First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    UP own Neon .
  • BAXLEO
    BAXLEO Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shedman said:
    The upside of SP would be that it is unlikely to go bust whereas with any of the smaller ones that is a possibility (and then you get in to the Supplier of Last Resort regime...see Yorkshire Energy / GNE threads for more background).  However those of us that have had to deal with SP through being transferred to them have not been greatly impressed with customer service (they came joint bottom of Which! recent survey). 

Neon Reef ought to be cheaper, switches seem to go through smoothly (based on my experience with my stepdaughters and from reports in the forum), their customer service is good (although via chat or email as no phone contact) and they appear to be looking to grow (there are suggestions that Utility Point a sister company is moving people into NR so perhaps that bodes well for NR).  

If you decide to go for Neon don't forget to check the Referrers section of the forums to pick up a £25 referral credit. 
    Thanks have been with Peoples Energy for a couple of years. They started off really cheap, but are not anymore will look into Neon and the referrers section. Thanks for the information. 
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 February 2021 at 2:51PM
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    UP own Neon .
    Don't think that is necessarily true.  

They are under common directorship but there is no indication in UPs (admittedly minimal) accounts that they hold any investments and under Related Parties it only refers to entities under common directorship and not subsidiaries.  Nor is there any indication in NRs accounts that they have a parent company.
  • UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    I don't really think you should read into what is said in un-audited accounts. UPs last accounts were made up until June 2019 and at that time Neon Reef weren't active in the energy market, so there wouldn't have been anything in there about them anyway.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10871657/persons-with-significant-control
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10610614/persons-with-significant-control

Ben Bolt and Simon Yarwood between them both hold majority control over both UP and Neon Reef.
    Their head of Marketing works for both Neon Reef and Utility Point at the same time: https://www.linkedin.com/in/elainelhoward/

They are 100% owned and 100% run by the same people, with just likely different day-2-day operating staff.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone else having trouble with the customer portal ?  Was down for a while yesterday and can't get in today.  App is working but my bill is now overdue, usually there at the end of the due day.
  • Shedman
    Options
    I don't really think you should read into what is said in un-audited accounts. UPs last accounts were made up until June 2019 and at that time Neon Reef weren't active in the energy market, so there wouldn't have been anything in there about them anyway.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10871657/persons-with-significant-control
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10610614/persons-with-significant-control

Ben Bolt and Simon Yarwood between them both hold majority control over both UP and Neon Reef.
    Their head of Marketing works for both Neon Reef and Utility Point at the same time: https://www.linkedin.com/in/elainelhoward/

They are 100% owned and 100% run by the same people, with just likely different day-2-day operating staff.

Agreed that Bolt and Yarwood may indeed own and control both companies, hence the two companies would be related parties, but it doesn't mean UP own NR as was stated.  NR was in existence as at July 19 (renamed from Oregon Energy) so if owned by UP would have had to have been shown as an investment in UPs accounts.   

Anyway , not sure what legal basis UP have to be redirecting people to NR (or moving their accounts across) as they seem to have been doing recently other than a somewhat nebulous clause in their T&Cs that I posted in the UP thread.

22 OTHER CONDITIONS
    22.1 In the event of a company restructure, change of ownership or another event required as part of our general course of business, we may transfer any of our rights or obligations under this agreement and it may not be possible to notify you or seek your permission beforehand.
  • Shedman
    Options
    molerat said:
    Anyone else having trouble with the customer portal ?  Was down for a while yesterday and can't get in today.  App is working but my bill is now overdue, usually there at the end of the due day.
    They said on chat yesterday that they were doing some systems updating and hence why there was intermittent access to the web login.  Seemed to be alright this morning when I tried but just checked and does seem to be down again
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shedman said:
    molerat said:
    They said on chat yesterday that they were doing some systems updating and hence why there was intermittent access to the web login.  Seemed to be alright this morning when I tried but just checked and does seem to be down again
    I was asked for my opening read which I entered on NR site yesterday am , but have been unable to log in again. It says that my account doesn't exist !!
  • Shedman
    edited 5 February 2021 at 4:59PM
    Options
    Shedman said:
    molerat said:
    I was asked for my opening read which I entered on NR site yesterday am , but have been unable to log in again. It says that my account doesn't exist !!
    BD, Have you tried the app to see if it appears on that? As a previous TE customer you wouldn't want it easy surely 😅

I would suspect it's all to do with the system updating that they referred to yesterday....although it does make you a bit suspicious as to what they are updating given the various mentions of UP customers being directed to NR. 
  • Shedman
    Options
    Interesting.  Simplicity use the same portal software as Neon and I can't login there either.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback