We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

TUI refunds thread

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 13 June 2020 at 8:36AM
    Options
    Livab90 said:
     have been really understanding and patient waiting for TUI to contact me AS INSTRUCTED by them via email, regarding my holiday that was booked and paid for, for 1st june for my 30th birthday, I didnt want a refund I just wanted to change the date so a few weeks ago decided to start ringing to either be cut off or spend hours at a time on hold with no response, today I call and get straight through (first time this week I've called) to be told "my colleague beat you to it and cancelled your booking on the 8th as you didnt bother to call sooner" his words!! Excuse me? Didnt bother? Check my phone records! Not to mention I was told not to call! So someone took the time to look at and cancel my booking but not call me to see if that's what I wanted as I just wanted to move the date to next year! Which now is not possible he says and has rocketed in price! So I now have to wait 4-6 weeks for a voucher refund, I didnt want a refund! I can use it against a now more expensive holiday which I've since looked up and is sold out! Why did nobody call? Their customer service skills are shocking and I've now gone from understanding and patient to absolutely livid! This can not be right surely. Is it also a coincidence that the first time I call this week I get through since they went ahead and cancelled on monday?

Liv
    This sounds really odd.
    TUI themselves cancelled all holidays up to 11th June (can't remember the date they announced it but it was a few weeks ago), then they cancelled holidays from 12/6 to 30/6 (our holiday was included in that, we got the cancellation email on 29/5) and a few days ago, they cancelled holidays from 1st July to 10th July.

It wasn't up to customers to ring up and cancel so maybe you confused the message.
    They didn't 'look at and cancel my booking but not call me to see if that's what I wanted' - it was a blanket cancellation for all customers due to travel up to a certain date. Your 1st June holiday has been cancelled for some time.

We received an email cancelling our 12/6 holiday (as I said above).
    Did you receive an email?

Are you aware of the 20% booking incentive that TUI are offering?

You don't say how you booked but this may be helpful:

We understand that rather than waiting for your refund credit, you may want to amend your booking with your up to 20% booking incentive straight away, so we’ve set up our systems to make this possible.  

You can easily amend your booking on the  Manage my Booking page . The exceptions to this are if you added insurance, parking or an airport hotel to your booking, or your booking is a cruise that has been cancelled after 30 July 2020 – unfortunately you won’t be able to amend online.  
    This ^^^^ only applies if you booked online or via the app and didn't book the extras mentioned.

The 20% will go some way towards your rebooked holiday.

I don't understand why you were told 'it was not possible' to rebook for next year - unless what he actually said was 'that holiday is unavailable or fully booked, which is not the same thing. But that doesn't make sense if he went on to say prices have rocketed because that indicates the holiday is available, just more expensive.

I don't think you will have to wait 4-6 weeks for your voucher refund (who told you this?).
    TUI say:
    We understand that you may not be ready to book again just yet, so the refund credit gives you the flexibility to book your travel in future. Plus, if your original booking was for a package holiday, you’ll get a separate booking incentive up to 20%. For example, if you paid £2,000 for your holiday booking you now have £2,400 to spend. You will receive a separate email four weeks from your original departure date with all the relevant information, if you were due to cruise from 1 July onwards you’ll receive it by the end of June.
    so you should receive your refund credit by 29th June.
  • Laurence_Harvey
    Laurence_Harvey Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 June 2020 at 10:52AM
    Options

My holiday was booked ‘in-store’ and  the process for receiving the TUI ‘Refund Credit Note’ is very different compared to on-line bookings.

I finally  received my ‘Refund Credit Note’ number by email on Friday afternoon.

However, having entered my details  (apparently successfully!) any number of times since Friday ___all 9 input  boxes including the ‘I am not a robot’ box received the green ✔___I’m constantly confronted with this system error message.

They are apparently  ‘working hard’ to fix this system error!___really?

I spent many many weeks  trying to contact TUI  without success,___and now this,___forgive my cynicism but is this yet another delaying tactic by TUI? 

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 June 2020 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Nah , their web sites are crap . They use the same software on first choice ( which they own) and it's forever giving that error when attempting to look at or manage your holiday.

Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • ian1246
    ian1246 Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to post - Holiday (due to fly 26/06/2020) was cancelled 28/05/2020. Refund Credit Note received on 04/06/2020. Refund request submitted online on 05/06/2020. Full Payment received to Credit Card 15/06/2020.
    Overall, very happy with their service - albeit I know they were crap initially!
  • lewisct1979
    Options
    Hi. If TUI cancel my holiday (they have) am I due a full refund including any amendment charges (I made £200 worth of changes before it was cancelled). Will I get this £200 back also? Nothing concrete in their T&Cs.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hi. If TUI cancel my holiday (they have) am I due a full refund including any amendment charges (I made £200 worth of changes before it was cancelled). Will I get this £200 back also? Nothing concrete in their T&Cs.
    I don't think you will be refunded for any amendment fees.
    I'm pretty sure I've read your question before.
  • shandypants5
    shandypants5 Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hello,

my August holiday has just been cancelled by tui and the email says I can either take the offer of a voucher plus 20%.  Or simply cancel my holiday through “manage my account” and receive back all money paid.

but when I try to cancel the last page informs me that There are large charges for cancelling and the closer to the holiday the more massive they are.
    i don’t want to continue this route in case they actually apply these charges.

whats the best route to take next?

the holiday was booked online and was fully paid by debit card.

thanks

“Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • Daisy_Duck
    Daisy_Duck Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    hello,

my August holiday has just been cancelled by tui and the email says I can either take the offer of a voucher plus 20%.  Or simply cancel my holiday through “manage my account” and receive back all money paid.

but when I try to cancel the last page informs me that There are large charges for cancelling and the closer to the holiday the more massive they are.
    i don’t want to continue this route in case they actually apply these charges.

whats the best route to take next?

the holiday was booked online and was fully paid by debit card.

thanks

Just before you go through the final page I get a comment that says this:

Do you still wish to cancel?

We understand that you may wish to cancel your booking today. We just wanted you to be aware that you may see cancellation fees displayed on screen, but don’t worry, all monies will be refunded as these are unfortunately sent automatically by our system. We’re sorry for any confusion caused.

Proceed to cancel booking

So I think it is all good!

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 July 2020 at 6:56PM
    Options
    I find the TUI site somewhat contradictory.  Here it says you use your refund credit note & a link to a specific refund request form. (Earlier instructions told customers to wait for it.)
     https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/coronavirus. Under "I would like a refund".

Yet here it says "you can simply cancel"  (The pathway to cancelled holidays after 11 July).
    https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/coronavirus-faqs

It looks as if if you've got your RCN number you follow one route, if you haven't you just dive into cancelling yourself. Personally I wouldn't, not without a screenshot of TUI telling you to "simply cancel".

I'm wary of TUI willingly speeding up the refund process by letting you simply cancel as soon as they've said the trip won't be going ahead, given that you get a good few weeks notice.  Still, you never know!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Shookup
    Shookup Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    we are in the same situation and are scared to press the cancel button but we want a refund not vouchers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure