We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

TUI refunds thread

Options

Comments

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Probably a bit slow to the 'party', but this is interesting from the TUI coronavirus pages, under IS MY REFUND CREDIT FINANCIALLY PROTECTED.............
    "The Irish Government agreed on the 8th May 2020 to provide a state guarantee for refund credit notes for package holidays issued by Irish licensed travel agents and Tour Operators. However, we do not know how long this will take to put into legislation and know customers have already waited some time for their refund credits".

I guess for England, Scotland & Wales that's a NO then!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • skadupuk
    skadupuk Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Direct Debit Refunds

Finally I have managed to get some detail out of TUI regarding timescales for Direct Debit refunds.

Whilst their site advises that they intend to "process" all DD refunds within 28 days, what they fail to mention is that this is just them confirming/sending the payment at their end and you then have to wait for the refund to work it's way through your bank, which can take up to 14 working days depending on the bank (why they can't add this to the guidance/tweet about it etc. to set peoples expectations realistically I do not know).

Whilst waiting longer isn't ideal, hopefully this at least helps explain why people may have not had the cash in bank yet despite having the "receipt" e-mail detailing that the DD refund has now gone through.

Their communication in all this has been poor, the amount of time and effort they could save themselves in queries and calls by getting all this info up front/out there would make everyone's lives that little bit easier (and allow people who need to speak to them have a shorter wait time).

• andybrock
    andybrock Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 June 2020 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Submitted an online request for a refund and received a phonecall to request the card number to proceed.
    Withheld number-had holiday details & only requested long card number(Debit Card)
    Does anybody know whether this is common practice or can confirm these calls are genuine??

• skadupuk
    skadupuk Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And finally I have the final element of my refund and this brings the end to my TUI saga.
    Timelines:
    Requested refund 4th May for holiday departing 22nd May (didn't wait for refund credit note)
    • 1st element (credit card payment) monies received 6th May
    • 2nd element (credit card payment on expired card) received e-mail 1st June confirming processed, monies received 3rd June 
    • 3rd element (direct debit payments on ) received e-mail 3rd June confirming processed, monies received 9th June 
    Only down side is I have another holiday due to depart 22nd July, so may need to go through all this again...
  • RalphWiggam
    RalphWiggam Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG, the refund has finally gone in my bank!    I cancelled on 13 March so around 12 and half weeks I have had to wait!.  :o

Husband said I should not try and ring them anymore, the phone bill is going to be sky high this month, it will more than the refund!! :D

Anyway, I would never be booking with Tui again in future, they have lost a regular customer here,  the lack of communication and holding onto refunds has been awful behaviour.   If we are lucky enough to get to go abroad again, we will be choosing another company, and lesson learned, never pay by Direct Debit, I will use a credit card in future. 
  • rlpowell
    rlpowell Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG, the refund has finally gone in my bank!    I cancelled on 13 March so around 12 and half weeks I have had to wait!.  :o

Husband said I should not try and ring them anymore, the phone bill is going to be sky high this month, it will more than the refund!! :D

Anyway, I would never be booking with Tui again in future, they have lost a regular customer here,  the lack of communication and holding onto refunds has been awful behaviour.   If we are lucky enough to get to go abroad again, we will be choosing another company, and lesson learned, never pay by Direct Debit, I will use a credit card in future. 
    Probably not DD problem just incompetent TUI, I also should have flown out on 13 March and waited until yesterday to get most of my CC refund (still have to wait whilst  bank  passes funds from CC to my current account but thankfully that's not TUI dependent). WE are still to receive the £22 we paid to change our seats on the plane. TUI seem to be hoping we will just give up on that. No way, the fight for fairness and honesty continues.
    I have had to write off the cost of getting to Gatwick and airport hotel, caused by TUI cancelling so late (around midnight while we were asleep), but too small for travel insurance. We did have a one night vacation at Gatwick Premier Inn !  I suppose that is more than most people will get this year.

• gabby71
    gabby71 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    received an email earlier confirming my 3rd July holiday is cancelled! Checked the website and TUI has cancelled all holidays up to 10th July 
  • martinjam
    Options
    Due to fly to Cuba 16th July, had a call from Tui to say that my holiday was cancelled,even though the website said it was still going ahead.I was asked if i wanted a credit note or a refund,I opted for a refund and was told it would take 10-14 days to go back onto my card.The money was back in my account within 24hrs  WELL DONE TUI
  • Laurence_Harvey
    Options
    martinjam said:
    Due to fly to Cuba 16th July, had a call from Tui to say that my holiday was cancelled,even though the website said it was still going ahead.I was asked if i wanted a credit note or a refund,I opted for a refund and was told it would take 10-14 days to go back onto my card.The money was back in my account within 24hrs  WELL DONE TUI
    That's unbelievably good service. :D
  • Livab90
    Options
     have been really understanding and patient waiting for TUI to contact me AS INSTRUCTED by them via email, regarding my holiday that was booked and paid for, for 1st june for my 30th birthday, I didnt want a refund I just wanted to change the date so a few weeks ago decided to start ringing to either be cut off or spend hours at a time on hold with no response, today I call and get straight through (first time this week I've called) to be told "my colleague beat you to it and cancelled your booking on the 8th as you didnt bother to call sooner" his words!! Excuse me? Didnt bother? Check my phone records! Not to mention I was told not to call! So someone took the time to look at and cancel my booking but not call me to see if that's what I wanted as I just wanted to move the date to next year! Which now is not possible he says and has rocketed in price! So I now have to wait 4-6 weeks for a voucher refund, I didnt want a refund! I can use it against a now more expensive holiday which I've since looked up and is sold out! Why did nobody call? Their customer service skills are shocking and I've now gone from understanding and patient to absolutely livid! This can not be right surely. Is it also a coincidence that the first time I call this week I get through since they went ahead and cancelled on monday?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure