»

Breeze gone. - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Breeze gone.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
423 replies 18.5K views

Replies

• katies_mumkaties_mum
    2.2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have just set up a password!

Your switch is in progress

You don't need to do anything.
    Thank you for choosing us as your gas supplier. We're working on getting you switched over as soon as we can.

Download my contract pack PDF
    Quarterly Cash/Cheque

Gas tariff

Cap Tracker Plus Sep 2021
    Your order was placed on
    31st Dec 2019

What happens next
    We'll let you know when we need your opening meter reading
    Your estimated supply start date is 16th Jan 2020
  • This has been a most helpful thread, thank you to all who have commented.

The actions of OFGEM in delivering the customers of Breeze into the hands of British Gas (BG) need to be challenged, in order to avoid this situation in the future. Breeze closure was precipitated by Ofgem demanding nearly £2 million from Breeze on 31st October, Breeze responded with a lesser payment leaving about £486,000 outstanding, or about £30 for each Breeze customer. A reasonable view might be that a solution could be found for Breeze to pay off the remainder in a reasonable time-scale, but Ofgem seems to have decided to go for the kill, in spite of the disruptive and costly effect this would have on Breeze customers. And instead of telling Breeze customers at once, which would have allowed time for them to choose another supplier, the first I heard was on 23rd December, when no choice was available.

The rates BG are charging for all their currently published tariffs are way too high..There is one BG tariff on the moneysupermarket website which has a reasonably priced tariff, but it is not shown on the BG website. The killer is that this tariff is blocked from anyone who is already a customer of BG Services, which a number of Breeze customers may be, and I am currently, but I’m not renewing because of increased costs and poor service. Otherwise all the available BG tariffs seem very similar to each other in overall cost and up to 30% higher than other Big Six tariffs. So why would Ofgem consider British Gas as a reasonable alternative for Breeze customers? And once all ex-Breeze customers sign up, will BG then announce another cheaper tariff to get in new customers?

The remaining question is how to get away from British Gas at the least cost. Fortunately my balance at Breeze on 23rd December was very close to zero. If I do sign up for one of BG advertised tariffs, the variable Cap Tracker tariff offers no exit fee and very similar overall cost to the others, so given that I want to exit asap does this one make sense? Also presumably I can sign up for another provider now, wait for the 14-day cooling-off period, by which time BG should be my supplier and ready to accept a transfer request? But if BG say they will be my supplier from about 16th January, who is supplying me now? And at what price? What have I missed?

Thanks for any advice.
  • JohnB47JohnB47
    1.7K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just had an online 'Chat' with a British Gas (BG) agent. I had received an email asking me to 'reset my password' and saw a note that I should call BG.

Here is the text of the relevant bit of the Chat (with names removed):

Agent : Thank you for the details.
    Agent : I see that your order has been placed and the address verification is pending
    Agent : The supply will be taken over by 16/01/2020.

Me : I do not have a Direct Debit set up with you or Breeze now. I am anxious to benefit from cheaper energy by paying by Direct Debit. When can I set this up.

Agent : After 16/01/2020.

Me : OK. I have been told by others that BG have said that the benefits of Direct Debit will be backdated to 22nd December. Can you confirm that please?

Agent : We are not the supplier at your property currently, so backdating is not possible

Me : This is not true. Others have been told that the DD benefits will be backdated. Please speak to a supervisor and confirm this. I have an earlier email from BG saying "As of 22 December 2019 you became our customer, welcome to the British Gas family."

Agent : Allow me a few minutes while I check this for you.

Agent : Please read this page https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/solr.html

Me : Thanks. I've seen that page before. It doesn't say anything about when the Direct Debit discount applies from. That is my question. Let me ask this in another way. When do BG regard my account as actually starting with them - is it 22nd December, or 16th Jan. What meter readings will you use as the start readings with BG - the ones I am yet to give you or the last ones I gave to Breeze?

Agent : Unfortunately Breeze Energy has not been able to pass your Direct Debit details on to us. Once we have set up your account, you'll receive a welcome email or letter with instructions on how to set up a Direct Debit through your online account or over the phone. We recommend setting up the Direct Debit as soon as your account has been set up as that means we can apply a Direct Debit discount to your tariff. Remember, if you switch from paying by cash or cheque to Direct Debit the cost of your energy per kWh will go down. Direct Debit is always the cheapest way to pay.

Agent : Your supply will start from British gas from 16/01/2020

Me : Hmmm. OK, that means that I will give you meter readings on 16th Jan and you will use those as the start readings. So all my previous energy will be billed using the Breeze tariff, yes?

Agent : Yes correct.
  • katies_mumkaties_mum
    2.2K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you JohnB47, so if that is the case then fingers crossed we will only be charged the silly rates from BG from the date our supply starts with them on the 16th to the date our transfer to the company of our choice goes through...fingers crossed
  • JohnB47JohnB47
    1.7K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Thank you JohnB47, so if that is the case then fingers crossed we will only be charged the silly rates from BG from the date our supply starts with them on the 16th to the date our transfer to the company of our choice goes through...fingers crossed

Yes, that's what I'm hoping.

I'll have it my diary to take readings on the 16th Jan. They can have those, or later readings if they delay in asking for them.
  • Chocmonster7Chocmonster7
    2.4K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JohnB47 seems like we have to be the ones to go out of our way to find out information about what is going on. So glad we have this thread to help each other!

I notice that my account is now saying to call them.
  • katies_mumkaties_mum
    2.2K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven`t had anything to call them! any idea why?
  • gwapenutgwapenut
    992 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to remind your bank about the Direct Debit Guarantee, which states "If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.".

Just ask the bank for a deadlock letter so that you can go to the ombudsman. They may well change their mind PDQ !

Sadly, I'm not sure the d/d guarantee is of any help here, as the regular collection amounts, notified in advance, were still being collected - no breach of the payment schedue has occurred. Whether the collector being insolvent makesa difference, I really don't know.

The advice to ask for a deadlock letter might well yield results, whether the guarantee entitles you to a refund or not - banks often back down under such threats. But I'd be concerned about some kind of chargeback further confusing the calculation about how much balance is carried over from Breeze to BG. It is true my past experiences with BG have been unusually poor, so I have little faith in them, but I would be minded to keep it as simple as possible and not request a refund in this circumstance, unless it turns out that BG have "forgotten" about this post-insolvency dd collection when calculating the amount of credit on your account.
  • JohnB47JohnB47
    1.7K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    katies_mum wrote: »
    I haven`t had anything to call them! any idea why?

When you create a 'new' password, the account page that appears does say to call them on a certain number. However, they weren't there today (Bank Hol) but someone was there to 'Chat' - see my earlier post.

The person I spoke to obviously had no idea why I was advised to call them. I thought they'd ask for Direct Debit details but no.

Don't let me stop you calling though - maybe if you do manage to speak to someone they'll have different story!
  • brewerdavebrewerdave
    5.9K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 5000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went thru three supplier failures in 2018 - on all occasions,I was charged the SOLR rates from the date of the supplier failure NOT the date the account with the new supplier was actually live, so I think you will be very lucky if you get away with Breeze's rates for the extra 5 weeks or so:(