Forum Home» Energy

Breeze gone. - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Breeze gone.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
626 replies 24.4K views

Replies

• Zanzib wrote: »
    My bank confirmed today that the December direct debit was requested by Breeze (even though they were no longer trading). Assume no one has turned off the automatic systems.

I've cancelled the DD, so no more money can be taken.

Bank told me they could not do anything, and I had to take it up with the company- or in this case whoever takes it over.

I've identified a new provider, but stuck until the new British Gas account is set up, plus having to pay more due to the horrible high standing charge.

So when was the money taken?

You said 26th December previously, and if you see my earlier post, I disagree with that .
  • edited 31 December 2019 at 8:13PM
    ZanzibZanzib Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2019 at 8:13PM
    FestiveJoy wrote: »
    So when was the money taken?

You said 26th December previously, and if you see my earlier post, I disagree with that .

My DD payment date was the 26th of the month, but obviously with Christmas Day/Boxing Day, it went out on the 27th-checked on the mini statement I got from the machine.

The staff member at the bank said they hadn't been informed about the company going out of business, so when the request came in they paid it because there was a direct debit authorisation. Will push the Direct Debit Guarantee when I go in on Friday.
  • Chocmonster7Chocmonster7 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now had a 3rd email from BG which starts:
    We're delighted you chose us. Just to let you know, we're getting everything ready for your switch.
    I don't remember choosing you... :cool:
  • Chocmonster7Chocmonster7 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now a 4th email asking me to set up a password on their site. I've done it and it's given me access to my account and the next steps which it says should be completed in 2 weeks.
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Scary isn`t it the amount BG are going to be charging us until we can escape!

I feel quite let down by Ofgem.

Breeze customers now find themselves on one of the most expensive energy tariffs in the UK.

The earliest I expect to be out of BG's claws is the beginning of February.

My energy bills will increase by about 50% during the most expensive time of the year.

Fortunately I'm not on the breadline, my home is well insulated, I'm not a huge energy guzzler and I'm also in credit with Breeze. But I think few people would be happy to see their energy bill increase by 50%.
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Please could anyone clarify that before we can move from BG to a company of our choice we will have to fully pay their account first or will we just pay on leaving when the transfer has gone through.

Citizens Advice say this:
    Switching energy supplier if you’re in debt

You've been in debt for 28 days or less

If you've owed the money to your supplier for 28 days or less, you can switch supplier. The debt will be added to your final bill from your old supplier.

You've been in debt for more than 28 days

If you've owed the money to your supplier for more than 28 days, you can't switch supplier until you've paid the money back.

If your supplier tells you they're raising their prices and you decide to switch, you'll have 30 days to pay off the debt before they can stop you.

You can't be stopped from switching if it's your supplier's fault that you're in debt - for example because they've estimated your bill wrong. If you do owe them money you'll still need to pay this when you get your old supplier's final bill.

At this time of the year, when energy use is high, I suspect many customers who pay by fixed rate DD may be technically in debt with their energy supplier.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • NINJA59NINJA59 Forumite
    61 posts
    10 Posts
    Now a 4th email asking me to set up a password on their site. I've done it and it's given me access to my account and the next steps which it says should be completed in 2 weeks.

I have logged in to, but I think my actual account is not finished as there is loads of missing and inaccurate info...having "spoken" to them via chat my account is not finished being setup hence the odd info!

I have began covering my back with my own records of meter readings :)....I cannot wait to escape this bunch.

I suspect we will owe a bit to Breeze, but either way I will pay off whatever is needed to then move, looking for a long fixed rate so probably Yorkshire energy.
  • NINJA59NINJA59 Forumite
    61 posts
    10 Posts
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    I feel quite let down by Ofgem.

Breeze customers now find themselves on one of the most expensive energy tariffs in the UK.

The earliest I expect to be out of BG's claws is the beginning of February.

My energy bills will increase by about 50% during the most expensive time of the year.

Fortunately I'm not on the breadline, my home is well insulated, I'm not a huge energy guzzler and I'm also in credit with Breeze. But I think few people would be happy to see their energy bill increase by 50%.

At this time of the year, when energy use is high, I suspect many customers who pay by fixed rate DD may be technically in debt with their energy supplier.

I think we will be lucky to leave by the beginning of Feb honestly. The plodding nature of BG just seems out and out slow and very much operating in department silos. I think sadly for some as well the first batch of ex Breeze customers will escape first (should they wish and why would you not as these rates) whilst some further down the pile are going to have to wait longer at those higher rates.

Like you we had credit to Breeze so should be better off from that perspective, we do use a lot of electric though. For me the most frustrating bit is the standing charge rates being so high. As per you at least I can withstand their rates, Ofgem have done a terrible job, but I suspect they know that because it is a deemed contract and their website advice almost says go find another supplier or the same supplier with a lower tarriff rate.

I might just set the DD to get the lower rates and then pay any final bill as part of a switch :rotfl: I know there is an element of risk there, but I will cancel the DD with the bank ASAP after doing it, I have heard of BG taking money even after a customer has left with no warning.

The rate difference because of payment method does seem a general lifestyle change where people rarely use cash or cheque, but for some previous generations (and some more recent ones in certain circumstances) I find it deeply unfair and it does not sit comfortably with me either (although I realise why due to processing costs etc. and being one of the few that do accept these older methods of payment), even if I do pay via DD. I also privately disapprove of BG's approach raising the minimum amount on pre payment meters.

I really did not like the fact that after finding the demise of Breeze I then had to go to the BG site and found no tarriff prices, it was easier to Google them!
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is outrageous. Who thought this up? Ofgem should make the SOLR honour the previous supplier rates until the account is able to be switched. Only then should it revert to the standard tariff. I'm pretty sure these takeovers would be a damn sight faster then.
  • gwapenutgwapenut Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    fanlight wrote: »
    Luckier?

Well if having access to online banking you suggest I'm lucky then perhaps I am. But I thought many people have that today, or at least telephone banking - saves a trip to the nearest bank branch, which may be many, many miles away what with all the nbanks shutting their branches, but that's another topic.

I'm not sure what your online banking super power has to do with the fact that you seem to have had the luck of not having your dd drawn on, whereas someone less lucky has had add payment.

I stand by this "accusation" that you have been luckier than at least one other person on this thread.
  • katies_mumkaties_mum Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I`ve just had the 2 emails as well, the Welcome one and the one asking to set up a new password.. fingers crossed for us all the final set up doesn`t take too long! but then isn`t it about 21 days for a transfer to a new company to take place?

I`m just gong to settle the BG bill and not give them my bank details for a DD.

Thanks SnowTiger for the information above.