Nst october

Options

Comments

• sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all:j

Managed to bag another NSD today, so 2/15 but tomorrow probably won't be..

Spent most of the morning cleaning up after messy animals for friend's visit. it was icy this morning so had to put on CH for his visit. DH said 'is it November already?'

It was lovely to see friend & we may be able to put some work his way - if only he will allow us to pay him. Did gift him something from the freezer as he left...after 5 and a half hours..chatting & eating lunch.

Supper was made from YS gifted items & supplies we already had in.

All bills gone out for this month so should be able to see how much we have left & budget accordingly.

Frogs for me are definitely budgeting, inventories & meal planning, all essential things I need to be doing. Think it's because it's such a daunting task, as we have a pantry, a larder, a cellar & 3 freezers...there's only 3 of us max...

No decluttering done today but will do some after posting as per usual.

Pleasures are seeing friends, easy supper, teddy bear bedding back on beds, DD staying at her own place, having a plan (!)

Popping in to say hi : Hello Turtles!

P
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Evening all!!!

Thank you Mothernerd for all the helpful advice and tips for preparing for Winter. Some great ideas in there for sure. Thank you too Misstara for the food tips... I might make up a big salad tomorrow.

So today was going to be an NSD but a friend returned from holiday and we went out and rather than buy a few bits today and a few more at weekend when I'd planned my big shop... I just did the lot today. Have enough in now to food prep all my meals for next week and beyond!!! I still have a few tins to use up and I'll incorporate the 2 bags of cooked lentils in there somewhere!!! I forgot milk but have some oat milk I've been avoiding using as it just doesn't make a nice cup of coffee... However... I will survive and be grateful for the food that I have.

Managed to do some exercise today - not loads - just 30 minutes after work, but it's something. I plan to go to the gym tomorrow and keep it as an NSD.

Night all :)
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am swift as a gazelle. An old one. With arthritis. Run over by a landrover. Eight days ago.

Worrying = a total waste of time. good and bad things will happen in life. You just have to keep living and not stress over what you can't control.

When I say'I'm broke' it doesn't mean I have £0. It means I have responsibilties to take care of before I go wasting money on dumb stuff.

Focus less on how fast you're going today and more on enjoying the ride.

We should all be eating fruits and vegetables as isf our lives depended upon it - because they do

As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction

If you really think the environment is less important than the economy, try holding your breath while you count your money

A little progress each day adds up to big results

I have decided that this will be a very good rest of my life
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Protecting your mental health

It's cold, wet and windy and dark. Dark a lot of the time and around the solstice dark most of the time. You are cold, tired, your eyes and nose are streaming, your head is wooly and you ache all over. It's hard to keep your spirits up and stop yourself from falling into a mood darker than the day.

First Rule of Mental Health
    Learn to distinguish who Desrves an Explanation
    Who deserves only ONe Answer
    And who deserves NOTHING

8 Ways to Improve Your Mental Health Today
    1 Log out of facebook
    2 Go outdoors (wrap up well, make the most of the sunshine)
    3 Mindfulness
    4 Go to Bed earlier
    5 Disconnect - read, listen to music or try a new hobby
    6 Accept what you can't control (worrying won't help)
    7 Talk to people - friends, family, GP get worries in perspective
    8 Practice Gratitude Focus on all the things you have and your problems will seem less important

If you are having trouble thinking of things to be grateful, start here
    I woke up
    I have a roof over my head
    I have a bed
    I have clean water to drink
    I have food to eat
    I have clothes to wear

Life is short. So do things that make you happy.Be with those who make you happy. Look for the good in every day even if some days you have to look a little harder

AUTUMN SELF CARE Look after yourself
    Spend time with people you love
    Try out a new hobby
    Bake with apples
    Wear warm socks and pj s (purple socks, spotty socks, sparkly socks)

Drink spiced cider
    Slow down and savour every moment
    Enjoy a cup of tea
    Embrace hygge
    Make a soup or stew
    Go to a farmer's market
    Decorate pumpkins
    Go for a walk
    Play in the leaves

You can have more suggestions if you want them
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dolly - hope your head feels better today.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Good morning lovely Turtles! It is Friday!

My list is written and it is not that long for today, although I have a few bits written for Saturday that dh is needed for - he has been back from his camping trip for three weeks now, so really he should put his tent and kit away, instead of leaving it all in a pile on the back room floor. I am NOT putting it away this time. Really. I am NOT. Well, not unless it is still there on Monday. And then I will not tell him where anything is.

Right, no sign of any kids yet, and we leave in 45, so will go and wake them all and get on with getting closer to the weekend!
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • mothernerd
    Options
    THE FUTURE

Again this is something I have been thinking a lot about recently. I've already mentioned my 5 year plan for the garden. I want to carry on growing some fruits and vegetables nad I've given myself 5 years (currently about half way through) to organise my garden so that things are easy to reach and some tasks can be done sitting down (arranging beds/ gro bags in U shapes so that I can put a chair in the middle and work on the areas on all three sides.

I want a new kitchen at some point. It's now 16 years old and I'm hoping I can stretch it out for another 4 years. i have a list of things I'd like to change - better lighting, more drawers (pan drawers especially to hold pans, plates etc as reaching up to the top cupboards becomes increasingly difficult.

Mum mentioned recently that a couple in our extended family are gatting a new kitchen next year. He's a year younger than me, she's several years older so i said she should remind them to include and adaptations they might need in the future such as easy to turn on taps (our church had a new kitchen a few years ago and the elderly women volunteers can't turn the taps on and off. the ones with a bar which you can push or nudge with your hand, arm or elbow are most useful'

The problem is that most people don't think to include these and by the time they need them, they are too old to cope with all the fuss of changing things. When I put the existing kitchen in I actually chose to have more electric sockets than I needed (had lots of double sockets throughout the house). I tried to imagine how many gadgets people would consider to be 'standard' in a kitchen by the time it reached the end of its life.

None of us think about how things will change as we age but if making a major purchase/ investment it pays to spend a little time to consider what 'future you' will be grateful for. The panels I had when my bathroom was done mean that never again will I have to balance precariously on a builders plank suspended on a stoll and the window sill to reach up to paint the ceiling or struggle to put paper on non straight walls (Mr builder did swear a lot though - if he got two adjoining panels in line at the top of the wall , there was a gap between them at the bottom). It takes a lot less cleaning too and there's no condensation.

It works for smaller purchases too - if you need to replace your armchairs would one with good back support be useful.

I recently bought mum a bed from the hospice shop. It's like a hospital bed with buttons to raise one end to support a person sitting up or the other end to raise their legs. It can be set at a slight incline and the sides can be raised to prevent falling. The bed itself can be raised and lowered to make it easier to get in and out of bed or to treat the person in th bed.

Strictly speaking mum doesn't need it right now but she soon will (and it means I now have a bed when she needs me to stay overnight).

Some of you can't imagine that this will happen to you but think. My mother learned to swim when she was 40. She started tap dancing at 50 and was still tap dancing well into her 60s. She's only given up ballroom and line dancing even more recently. Two weeks ago she went to sit down on the bed, missed the bed completely and ended up on th floor. Neither she nor I could get her up off the floor.

I'm a firm believer in use it or lose it. I've always walked everywhere and less than 10 years ago I did a 3 hour walk (approx 9 miles as I was slowing down a bit by then) just for fun every day. When i was 56 I had to have a total hip replacement and the consultant said it was one of the worst he had ever seen. On the day it was finally discovered (after months of physiotherapy) I was told I shouldn't even be walking on it. I'd walked to the appointment and one week previously I 'd gone from the infirmary across town to Icy land and then several more shops.

2 Make a will.

It's free wills month althoguh many fre slots will already have been taken. Writing a will is not an end of life thing. If you have a house or more possessions than will fit in a couple of carrier bags, you need a will.

It makes things much simpler for whoever has to sort things out when you've gone. It's a grown up and sensible thing to put in place and IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN you need to decide who will care for them if you and their other parent die together. So if one set of grandparents are a much better option for your children than the other get it written down and if all the grandparents are useless or unable to act due to their own health, find a suitable good friend and ask if they would be prepared to take the responsibility.

I wrote my first will when I was pregnant with DS1 (my mum got him if anything happened to us), a second one after I divorced (marriage and divorce invalidate existing wills) and my most recent one 2 years ago (very simple as the boys are now all over 18).
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you apple. It is still a bit achy but I will take painkillers today if it gets any worse, the heat at work and the noise doesn't help.

sashanut - maybe your friend sees his visits with you and the good company as payment enough for the jobs he does.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    SSDD23 - medicine is exempt, you can keep your NSD if that is all you bought.

In that case, I shall keep my NSD making me 2/15 so far :)

I actually feel much more human today, I was allowed to go home from work at lunch time (they are going to pay me for the full day, thankfully) and I basically dosed myself up and crawled back to bed for a few hours, got up and did some tidying and ironing, then went back to bed lol. I may have eaten a whole pack of caramel digestives, though :o.

Anyway, I feel and sound much better than OH still does, I told him we need to be healthier and we wouldn't get so poorly (the fact his is still lingering shows that my diet is much better than his - I asked him when he last had a vegetable or some fruit, he said his birthday which was mid-September :eek: so, need to work on him!)

I am mostly grateful that I finished at my weekend job last week, it would have been tougher to plough through non-stop working and recover.

I am meeting my Nan for lunch today, she is back from holiday with my mum (who is other side of the world, they met in Greece to holiday together) and she has brought back a dress my mum bought for herself that I fell in love with and couldn't afford right at the end of our holiday to see her, it doesn't fit my mum anymore so is all mine! I am very excited :rotfl:

Today is very much going to be a low-key day at work, plenty of fluids and peppermint tea with honey!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »
    When I say'I'm broke' it doesn't mean I have £0. It means I have responsibilties to take care of before I go wasting money on dumb stuff.

I absolutely love this, and it's something so many people don't understand!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure