PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Plug in Air Freshners

Options

Comments

• sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options
    I banned these air fresheners after doing a search and reading about the toxic effects of the ingredients.:eek: :eek: Only use essential oils now.
    Apparently prolonged exposure to a lot of these chemicals can cause all sorts of lung problems and even been implicated in damaging developing brains in children.
    Now i just use essential oils or open the window.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• competitionscafe
    Options
    Sophiesmum is right - the plug in air fresheners don't freshen the air at all they just disguise smells with nasty chemicals, bad for you and bad for the planet!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • mrsmortenharket
    Options
    open the window ;)

free ;)

Lisa x
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sophiesmum wrote:
    I banned these air fresheners after doing a search and reading about the toxic effects of the ingredients.:eek: :eek: Only use essential oils now.
    Apparently prolonged exposure to a lot of these chemicals can cause all sorts of lung problems and even been implicated in damaging developing brains in children.
    sophiesmum
    I've got one which I switch on if I know someone is coming round so that the house smells nice. If I leave it on too long though I have breathing trouble after a while. Last time I had it on I was up all night with laboured breathing. I'm sticking to oils now.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sophiesmum wrote:
    sophiesmum
    OH bought some to make things 'smell nice', but i got a migraine for the first time in about 4 years that evening. could be coincidence, but i'm not risking it again!
    :happyhear
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought an Aromastone - plugs in to the mains with a plug and cord and heats up like a warm stone and you put a couple of drops of your own brand of essential oil mix on it and lo and behold lovely scent and not the chemical induced one the plug ins have - try cinnamon, orange and clove mixed - makes a lovely xmas scent
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Sweet_Pea_2
    Options
    My mum lives in sheltered accomodation and they have very sensitive electric smoke alarms in each flat. They seem to go off fairly regularly and the firemen were getting a bit fed up so they arranged to visit each flat and have a look around to see if they could come up with ideas that would help.
    One of the firemen told my mum to throw away her plug in air fresheners because they are dangerous and could cause a fire. I've binned mine after hearing this, I didnt use them much anyway, now I open the windows instead as I love that fresh air smell throughout the house. My mum however, loves air freshners and everything that comes from her house smells quite strongly perfumed, I find it much too strong and overpowering.
  • catz747
    catz747 Posts: 20,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gemmaj wrote: »
    Plug in Air Freshners are expensive and supposed to be bad for your health (all those toxic chemicals being released in to the house).

I know this is an old thread but am glad of the OS air freshener suggestions I've found and I'm glad you mentioned chemicals - I've just had an accident with the liquid out of a plugin and I can't believe what it's done.

Basically I left the pot with the liquid in in a room and must have at some point knocked it over, not only has the liquid ruined the painted surface - made it all go bubbly & acted like paint stripper, but it also melted - yes melted the plastic on a pair of swimming goggles. If that hasn't convinced me never ever to buy plug in air fresheners again, then nothing ever will :eek: :eek: fancy breathing that stuff in!!

The other threads are here btw :D
    squeaky wrote: »
  • kemo_2002
    kemo_2002 Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Options
    i really love the smell of the airwick aqua essence (sticks in the pot! lol) & any plug ins, but they are exspensive to replace.

Any ideas to keep rooms smelling nice that doesnt involve having to have your radiators on.
  • harley1
    harley1 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.

I use Yankee Candles, but they are not all that cheap. Can get some fairly good deals online sometimes though.

Did you know the aqua essences and plug ins are half price in tesco at the moment, could be worth stocking up if you don't get any better suggestions

xx
    Cross Stitch Challenge member 11 - May challenge well under way

Very proud mummy to Gorgeous baby girl - 29/09/09 :j

Thanks to all who directed me to Quidco - £289.30 since Nov 09 :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts