PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Plug in Air Freshners

Options
I have lots of empty bottles and was thinking if i could fill them with a cheaper alternative solution as they are quite expensive to buy. :o

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, there's an interesting thought!

Edited: Engaged mouth before brain therefore deleting anything which might prove potentially hazardous :o

Love the way you think ... "necessity is the Mother of all inventions" ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • forevershopping
    Options
    I tried this once,
    put some cheap liquid air freshner in [3 for £1 poundland].
    it did work!
    I'm going to do mine again now,forgot all about it,thanks for reminding me :D

update!
    just filled mine, took out the long sponge stick and soaked it in very hot water to soften and clean it, washed out the bottle,then put the stick back in the opposite way [one end was yellow], filled it with my spray liquid air freshner [could not get the lid off as its moulded so just kept on spraying it into the bottle] left it to settle.plugged it in and away it went! ;)
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eeek - be REALLY careful and dont leave them unattended if you are going to use alternates especially the oil suggestion (sorry queenie)

I used to use them when I smoked but now I just open the windows and let the fresh air in and smells out and I've stopped smoking so my place doesnt stink anymore ;)

could you try weaning yourself off them? (I'm convinced they cant be "good" for us having warmed chemicals pumped into the air surely wont do you many favours in the lung department)
    Blah
  • Queenie
    Options
    vanoonoo wrote:
    eeek - be REALLY careful and dont leave them unattended if you are going to use alternates especially the oil suggestion (sorry queenie)
    Good point, well presented :D
    vanoonoo wrote:
    (I'm convinced they cant be "good" for us having warmed chemicals pumped into the air surely wont do you many favours in the lung department)
    Hmmmm, never thought of that; oh well, I'll stick with my EO on the lightbulbs/rads then (yup, agree with the glories of fresh air too, but, with my male dominated household, sometimes, just *sometimes* it's nice to have a girlie scent around ;):D
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vanoonoo, I agree that these artificial musks cannot be good for us. I've weaned myself of these plug-ins and now content myself with spraying a cotton pad with some of Mrs MATH's V expensive perfume (hope she doesn't read this board) and sucking it up the hoover to make the house smell nice. Like you I've given up smoking and I find the house is much fresher.

By the way where is the lung department? cos I went though slacks and seperates, menswear, and cooked meats and couldn't find it:D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    just *sometimes* it's nice to have a girlie scent around ;):D

lol - forgot that bit - even the cats in my household are female. when I had my lodger he used to buy lots of airfreshner type things for the bathroom.

the essential oils is a good idea I used to have one of those pottery ring things that I could put oil in and you'd put it on the lightbulb for the oil to warm through.
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    By the way where is the lung department? cos I went though slacks and seperates, menswear, and cooked meats and couldn't find it:D

its with the tripe and other offal
    Blah
  • Queenie
    Options
    vanoonoo wrote:
    the essential oils is a good idea I used to have one of those pottery ring things that I could put oil in and you'd put it on the lightbulb for the oil to warm through.

I used to have one of those - one of the "males" in this household managed to break it when changing the lightbulb - won't mention any names, suffice to say, it wasn't our cat!
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plug in Air Freshners are expensive and supposed to be bad for your health (all those toxic chemicals being released in to the house). So what are the other options?

Potpourii (don't like it myself).
    Aromatherapy burners and scented candles (don't like naked flames! :eek: )
    Boiling lemon, cloves, etc (don't fancy the effort of standing in the kitchen keeping it simmering)

While abroad I bought a string of spices (cloves etc) as a natural air freshner but it doesn't produce much smell!

Has anyone tried refilling the plug in airfreshners with aromatherapy oils and water or aromatherapy-massage oil?

Any other ideas?

Thanks! -G.
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think someone posted a while ago about refilling them with esential oils. You submerge the refill in a bowl, and it fills up.

Also dabbing a bit of essential oil onto lightbulbs and radiators.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure