PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Plug in Air Freshners

Options

Comments

• Lurker1972
    Lurker1972 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    Also second essential oils in oil burner or I too use Yankee Candle tarts in oil burners ( wilko do cheap burners) they last ages and ages . I wouldn't waste money buying the artificial oil blends as they are very hit and miss - if you want Yankee candle tarts ebay is good and my personal favourite is clean cotton..

mmm clean cotton, yummmmy - I've got the burner oil & tea lights in that flavour & have just treated me to watermelon too

I've got them on my ' always welcome as gift list' which might be a bit cheeky, but hey ho!;)
    I do not make mistakes, I learn lessons.
    I work to live, not live to work.
    I love to live & live to love.
    Good enough is exactly that.
  • Habbles
    Options
    Important Safety Information (very small writing on side of Ambi-Pur refill box)

Do not fill bottle with any liquids. (Buy our refills)

Do not place within 50cm of leather, polished, painted or plastic surfaces. (build house of paper or rubber)

Do not use in confined spaces. (ie inside)

People suffering from purfume sensitivity should be cautious when using this product. (on the Allergen Reduced pack with the British Allergy Foundations Seal of Approval)

Air fresheners do not replace good hygiene practices. (if I clean my house more often does that mean I won't need your product).

THIS PRODUCT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THOSE WITH AIRWAYS DISEASE. (enough said)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2010 at 5:22PM
    Options
    *** WARNING ***

Not sure if anyone else has thought of this but, as it says not to refill these products, you may well invalidate your house insurance if you have a fire and it is linked to your plug in - they can trace what chemicals are in them so if they work out you refilled it, your insurance will very likely NOT pay out :eek:

I find those plug ins make me ill anyway - headaches, breathing probs.... dreadful things.

I use essential oils, a few drops on a tissue tucked behind the radiator :) Simple, easy and chemical free :)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    Options
    Habbles wrote: »

Do not fill bottle with any liquids. (Buy our refills)

Do not place within 50cm of leather, polished, painted or plastic surfaces. (build house of paper or rubber)

Do not use in confined spaces. (ie inside)

OMG thats the best laugh i've had all day - am ROFLMAO!!!!

Thank you :D

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    Options
    I was told some time ago (by a nurse) that most manufactured air-fresheners work on paralysing the smelling mechanism in the nose so that you don't smell the smell and, also, that some have caused epilepsy in dogs. As if that wasn't frightening enough, they give me terrible breathing problems. I even have to avoid the air-freshener aisles in the supermarkets. I would never use them, especially if I have young children in the house - an open bottle of vinegar will absorb most household smells, as will a dish of bicarbonate of soda; much safer and cheaper, too!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • oddies
    oddies Posts: 10,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    please could anyone advise ? yesterday i brought airfreshner plug in's at a cost of £20 and this was the cheapest i could find of a certain type begins with ambi - ? :rotfl:this was just the oil not the whole plug in. is there a cheaper way say to use some sort of oils in them. i am sick of being ripped off with the prices of these things to make my house smell nice. anyone got any ideas please. will await your answers and then reply. thank you all in advance :beer:
    2016 Jan Wins: 9ct white Gold Diamond Necklace £530.00, Doro Easy phone. April: Hotel Chocolat Easter Egg. May: £1,000 spend @ laredoute. June: Alton towers family Ticket & In the Night Garden Toy.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    My cheapskate version is to mix lemon juice and water 50:50 in a spray bottle and mist the room every so often. Deals with damp doggy smells and costs pennies, plus you don't get that whole artificial-perfume feel in your throat. Just check that it won't damage any fabrics you spray it on by testing a small patch, but I used to spray it on the curtains (don't have any at the moment in the new house) and even on the old leather chairs.
    Bicarbonate of soda won't perfume a room but will help deodourise - put in a shallow dish up on a shelf to absorb odours.
    A few drops of essential oils on a hankie or tissue put somewhere in the room (near a heater or window to help circulate it) can help with making a room smell nice.
  • Isis_Black
    Options
    i use a spray mix that includes fabric conditioner to smell nice :-)
    I love War Of The Worlds:heart2:
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn:smileyhea
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    These synthetic smelly things are really not good for you. Don't they give you a terrible sore throat and headache? We can't use them at all.
    What you can do is get some essential oils you like the smell of and mix with water (you do need a large amount of oil). Put it in a pretty bottle and then stick some reeds into the bottle. Give them a good dunk and then turn them the other way up. Much nicer smell! Apparently, you can use bbq skewers instead of buying the proper reeds.
    I also soak cotton wool balls with essential oils and pop on a radiator.
    You can put oils on your hoover filter too and the heat created when hoovering plus the air circulated from it will blow the lovely smell around the room.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    Open a window. If your generally up to date with your cleaning then nasty chemicals aren't needed. People are far too paranoid about houses 'smelling'. I'd rather a house smelt of food cooking (even fish or cabbage) than over scented 'perfumes'. We too are a household that gets headaches and sore throats/noses with so called 'air freshners'. xx
    Put the kettle on. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family