PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Plug in Air Freshners

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I put a little drop of essential oil on my light bulbs.
    But I find the best way is to open all the windows and give the house a good airing
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • louisewh123
    louisewh123 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    a sqeezed lemon and lime in boiling water - gives you citrus vapours, use untill smell nearly gone and then reheat water and use to clean.
    [STRIKE]Debt 01.01.2010 = £70,000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 01.02.2011 = £53,495 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 05.05.2011 = £51,959 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Debt 01/08/2011 = £49,425 [/STRIKE]Debt 05/09/2011 = £45,610 :j
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a metal oil-burner thingy. The kind you put water in with a couple of drops of essential oil with a night-light underneath. Some essential oils are very inexpensive so a small bottle can last for ages and ages and blending them can be fun, too. I've seen some of those oil-burners in ceramic material too and they are cheaper
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Soak cotton wool in anything nice smelling and put over any exposed hot water pipes.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    Options
    The proper name for the sticks in a bottle is a reed diffuser :cool: you can make them yourself use a plain base oil and add whatever essential oils you fancy :D

I must confess I haven't made my own tho :o I came across some info when I was trying to find some for my mum because she loves the reed diffusers from costco
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also love the reed diffusers. I went into one of those speciality shops asking for just the replacement oil as I didn't see any in the larger stores. They said you've got to buy the *set*. Rip off. I've got the nice bottles, heaps of reeds left. I just want the oil. :p

Has anyone made the oil (what type) and the ratio of essential oils?
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• patriciakayman
    Options
    i love incence sticks!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AussieLass wrote: »
    I also love the reed diffusers. I went into one of those speciality shops asking for just the replacement oil as I didn't see any in the larger stores. They said you've got to buy the *set*. Rip off. I've got the nice bottles, heaps of reeds left. I just want the oil. :p

Has anyone made the oil (what type) and the ratio of essential oils?

They usually use DPG (dipropylene glycol) as a base to which the fragrance oil is added. You can buy it from soap making suppliers.
  • Mrs._Irwin
    Mrs._Irwin Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Open windows.

A large bowl of citrus fruit is meant to smell nice.

Bake bread, brew some filter coffee.
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Use an oil burner - the Body Shop make a lovely range of oils for these. TK Maxx and Dunelm also do good reed diffuser sets. TK also do nice candles for half the price in some of the other shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport