Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• twarde
    twarde Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone recently negotiated a deal with BT ? I've had BT Infinity 1 for almost 12 months and I'm thinking of taking the SSE ultrafast deal or using it as leverage with BT retentions.

ta
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    twarde wrote: »
    Has anyone recently negotiated a deal with BT ? I've had BT Infinity 1 for almost 12 months and I'm thinking of taking the SSE ultrafast deal or using it as leverage with BT retentions.

ta

I was in the same position, and used SSE as a lever with BT. The best they'd offer was £10 pm - they said they couldn't get anywhere near the SSE £21 pm.

Even adding £3.50 pm for caller display it's only £24.50 pm, but the same from BT would cost £37.49.

So I switched to SSE - bear in mind though that it has its limitations. Probably useless if you're a heavy evening user.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Rang PlusNet this morning to check BB contract expiry date as the speeds I'm getting on normal BB are very poor. This is what they offered:

"Thank you for your call today. To confirm, no changes have been made to your account today, but here are the details of what we could offer you for Fibre Broadband New 24 month contract Unlimited Fibre 38Mbps - 40Mbps: £10 per month for 24 months, then £14.99 per month Line Rental: £16.99 per month (£17.99 per month from 1st September) Anytime International Calls: £7.50 per month If you wish to accept this offer, please contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 432 0200. Kind regards, "

They have to be joking! Locked in for 2 years on a "deal" that would cost £35.49 a month compared to the current SSE offer of £21 a month for virtually the same services on a shorter 18 month contract, plus of course Quidco cashback as well.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Rang PlusNet this morning to check BB contract expiry date as the speeds I'm getting on normal BB are very poor. This is what they offered:

"Thank you for your call today. To confirm, no changes have been made to your account today, but here are the details of what we could offer you for Fibre Broadband New 24 month contract Unlimited Fibre 38Mbps - 40Mbps: £10 per month for 24 months, then £14.99 per month Line Rental: £16.99 per month (£17.99 per month from 1st September) Anytime International Calls: £7.50 per month If you wish to accept this offer, please contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 432 0200. Kind regards, "

They have to be joking! Locked in for 2 years on a "deal" that would cost £35.49 a month compared to the current SSE offer of £21 a month for virtually the same services on a shorter 18 month contract, plus of course Quidco cashback as well.

Don't forget that if you are affected by Plusnet price increases 1st Sept 2016, you can get out free of contract :money:within 30 days of notification
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Jb005
    Jb005 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    it was an exclusive MSE forum offer , they often pop up

Anyone know how often these pop up? I got the sky deal through MSE last summer which worked out as a whole year's broadband for about £8. Best deal I've ever had.

12 months is up so I'm looking to switch. Are the current plusnet and talk talk deals relatively good or is it worth me waiting for something else?
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 July 2016 at 2:07PM
    Options
    Jb005 wrote: »
    Anyone know how often these pop up? I got the sky deal through MSE last summer which worked out as a whole year's broadband for about £8. Best deal I've ever had.

12 months is up so I'm looking to switch. Are the current plusnet and talk talk deals relatively good or is it worth me waiting for something else?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband :beer:

Don't forget the Cash Back Sites
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/broadband-isp/cashback/
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Don't forget that if you are affected by Plusnet price increases 1st Sept 2016, you can get out free of contract :money:within 30 days of notification

Thanks, but I'm not likely to get a notification as my present contract finishes 1/9 anyway! So tied in until virtually last minute.

I reckon on starting the switch to SSE about 10 days before ( and yes before anyone says it I know they are not perfect either).
  • Jb005
    Jb005 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »

Thank you. I've seen the MSE recommendations but not checked the cashbook offers yet.

What I meant though was: are there likely to be much better offers coming round in the next couple of months (even half as good as the Sky deal I got last year) or are these relatively cheap with the best currently working out at around £9/month after cash back for the talk talk deal? Are you folks paying less for deals you picked up in the past year?
  • bones85
    bones85 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will it be worth switching to plusnet still even with price increases?

Currently on BT Fiber, £29 a month plus whatever line rental is
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm not likely to get a notification as my present contract finishes 1/9 anyway! So tied in until virtually last minute.

I reckon on starting the switch to SSE about 10 days before ( and yes before anyone says it I know they are not perfect either).

You'll need to be an existing SSE customer now - they've restricted it because of the capacity problems which are starting to damage the SSE brand. Gas or electricity will do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback