Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• leonardo
    leonardo Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    couplands wrote: »
    My current BT line rental is up (my BB is BT Infinity too). Is there any reason why I cant use the Sky deal to get the cheap line rental, even if I don't use their broadband service, and continue with my BT Infinity service - which I really like...?

cheers

simon

This would be an amazing lifehack - which someone has to venture into 'unknown territory' to find out/discover.

If you can find a way to manage this - it would open up a whole new realm of possibilities - because I have not heard of anybody attempting this route.

Just don't loose the discount - because it all adds up and can make a real material difference.

Let us know how far you get!
  • couplands
    couplands Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    So far, investigations with BT suggest that you can use another supplier for the line rental, however I believe that the Sky offer means you also have to actually switch your broadband to them. This would cancel the BT BB service. As I renewed the BT BB service in January there would be a cancellation charge.

It seems these deals are real lock-ins and don't work unless you are able to switch on the day of the deal..!

I guess that's what its all about, getting customers at that switch point, rather than just offering a better deal in general.

Ah well....£194 for BT line rental by the looks of it...:-(

cheers

simon
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes most of these offers are bundles .

The BT advanced line rental at £194.28 will be increased on the 3rd July .
    Current advanced line rental can be renewed 27 days before existing expires .
  • couplands
    Options
    Actually, I'm on with SKY now and they have agreed to unbundle the broadband. However I had SKY last year (cancelled a while ago) and it seems that previous SKY customers cant use this deal..! So close....;-(

They have given me a number to call, so will try that.

cheers

simon
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    couplands wrote: »
    Actually, I'm on with SKY now and they have agreed to unbundle the broadband. However I had SKY last year (cancelled a while ago) and it seems that previous SKY customers cant use this deal..! So close....;-(

They have given me a number to call, so will try that.

cheers

simon

Would love to know the outcome.
    GoodLuck
    What happens if you push this button?
  • couplands
    Options
    This was going so well...!

Then I spoke with the "returning customer service team" who contradicted the advice I got this morning that I could take the £61 bundle but not activate the broadband element. They said it wasn't possible.

Arrrrrgh....back to £194 renewal with BT for the line. !!!!!!...!

cheers

simon
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyone had a decent retention deal from VM recently? I'm not interested in TV really as fibre optic BB does away with a need for traditional tv package (I prefer NowTV for Sky Atlantic and the boxsets anyway). The best I can get without cancelling is £30 a month for phoneline(which I dont particulaly want) and 50mb BB. For me I think this is still too much but as the only alternative is normal broadband via Sky/BT etc I'm stuck really.
  • pocketslint
    pocketslint Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2016 at 6:51PM
    Options
    I phoned PlusNet today to cancel my contract, which I have had for over a year now, as I am moving house. I was told by a PlusNet advisor that there would be a £30 charge for the privilege as the work has to be carried out by BT. Does this mean that BT still has a monopoly on the UK phone network? Is this legal? Considering that PlusNet is part of the BT Group! There was no mention of this when I took out my contract with PlusNet in good faith on my part!
  • jmdnnlln
    jmdnnlln Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2016 at 5:42PM
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Have you made sure you are randomizing ports or tried a VPN?

Some have traffic Management till late at night (Plusnet) but ok at certain times during the day.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Decided on a seedbox instead, 1Gbps connection,:T movies drop in around 10 seconds.
    Upload from remote server about 3 mins so it's not so bad except for the larger files. sftp can be a little slow.
  • jmdnnlln
    jmdnnlln Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I was considering those seedboxes a while back but I am possessive and like my Plex

Ahh a fellow PLEX lover:D me too, I just LOVE plex so much so I have a ASUSTOR AS5104T with 10TB of space.

TBH this was the reason for needing fast downloads as I have over 60 complete TV series, a section for old movies, movies, childrens movies, and children's TV shows. Also have a section for the Carry on movies, as plex wouldn't recognise the within their own folder.

I use Amazon fire stick in each of my Tv's and a firestick for my 'Cinema room'.. Beat that lol...:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback