Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    bones85 wrote: »
    Will it be worth switching to plusnet still even with price increases?

Currently on BT Fiber, £29 a month plus whatever line rental is
    Yes if 40/2 fibre is enough for you - it's £7.49 plus line rental with Plusnet http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetfibre
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    You'll need to be an existing SSE customer now - they've restricted it because of the capacity problems which are starting to damage the SSE brand. Gas or electricity will do.

Thanks Doc N; that's a ba****d as I'm also tied into my present MSE collective deal for fuel! Have to look closely again.
  • trills
    trills Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2016 at 4:12PM
    Options
    trills wrote: »
    I got Martin's Money Tips newsletter on the 24 Feb 2016 and in the Top Tips saw the offer for BT fibre b'band & line £371/yr + £100 Mastercard + £75 cashback. I signed up on the 25 Feb, before the deal expired.

The deal stated "You need to CLAIM a £100 prepaid Mastercard. After installation fill in this online claim form and it's sent within 30 days."

When I click the link and sign in as suggested, and go to make a claim, it only has £75 BT Reward Card as an option, which is £25 less than stated on the deal (and the BT sign up page) stated.

Any one else had this issue? How do I get the £100 card as advertised? Really annoyed I didn't screen grab the sign up page.

We eventually got the correct rewards card, after over a dozen phone calls and emails spent chasing it up. They eventually claimed that the amount was different "due to the original order reading to our systems after midnight which may have put you outside of the offer dates" despite my being able to provide order confirmation emails to show otherwise, and they claim that they provided the correct card amount I was owed as a "goodwill gesture" like it was a favour or something?! :rotfl:

Still awaiting the advertised £75 cheque from MSE, it's been over 4 months now. I wish I hasn't bothered in hindsight, it's been such a hassle for what should have been a simple process, considering I followed the steps closely.
  • NeillB
    NeillB Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I have just came out of the end of my 12 month minimum term contract with BT. Ive been putting off looking at new deals as I knew it was going to be a pain. Ive worked out my figures and until 3 July price rise I was paying BT £24.40 a month for an offer on BT Infinity option 2 unlimited, £2.26 for evening and weekend calls and £187 for line rental for the year.

The new price rise is quite bad. I have to say my speeds arent to bad (they average between 40 to 55 mpbs). On the flip side of the coin this shouldnt be an issue as Im less than a mile and a half from the local BT exchange. BT didnt tell me about the July price rise which has annoyed me and my out of contract dates arent in sink (4 August for line rental and 23 July for broadband and calls. I need the unlimited downloads and high speed but think I could do better. Do I switch or haggle with BT? Not sure that Plusnet wouldnt charge me a fortune as everyone round here is BT or Virgin when I googled my area which is east Belfast. Plusnets estimated speed doesnt look good either (38mpbs). Im very confused. Any help is much appreciated.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone managed to haggle successfully with Virgin Media lately?

I ask because I'm paying way too much (IMO!). Admittedly I use broadband a lot and appreciate having the network support, but can do without the landline at nearly £18pm as I never actually use it, ditto TV - although I do use this, I also have Freeview and Apple TV so can get most things via the net. My monthly bills are around £55 (plus separate mobile phone / data contract with another provider).

There's only one reason I'm reluctant to do away with the phone line though, and thats because a number of people have this (admittedly they don't use it). Is there any way of keeping hold of the actual telephone number?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • V6Matt
    V6Matt Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My broadband deal is due to finish with BT at the end of the month.

I can see the TalkTalk/Sky deals listed on MSE at the moment and conscious that these apparently 'expire' in 2 days.

Is it likely at this time of year a better deal will be given i.e the Sky £60 / £5 annual cost.

Or is August typically rip off time and I am best taking one of the current offers.
  • NeillB
    NeillB Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got unlimited option 2 for £18.50 last night after threatening to leave. I did pay the £205.08 line rental up front plus the £2.70 evening and weekends which i suppose isnt great but it pays to moan :D
  • Jb005
    Jb005 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    V6Matt wrote: »
    My broadband deal is due to finish with BT at the end of the month.

I can see the TalkTalk/Sky deals listed on MSE at the moment and conscious that these apparently 'expire' in 2 days.

Is it likely at this time of year a better deal will be given i.e the Sky £60 / £5 annual cost.

Or is August typically rip off time and I am best taking one of the current offers.

This was basically my question as well. Not sure yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You could have a look at previous weekly emails to give an idea. I suspect the next really good deals will be November time around Black Friday. I think the very cheap Sky deal via code was June this year and last.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 August 2016 at 9:38AM
    Options
    NeillB wrote: »
    Hi

I have just came out of the end of my 12 month minimum term contract with BT. Ive been putting off looking at new deals as I knew it was going to be a pain. Ive worked out my figures and until 3 July price rise I was paying BT £24.40 a month for an offer on BT Infinity option 2 unlimited, £2.26 for evening and weekend calls and £187 for line rental for the year.

The new price rise is quite bad. I have to say my speeds arent to bad (they average between 40 to 55 mpbs). On the flip side of the coin this shouldnt be an issue as Im less than a mile and a half from the local BT exchange. BT didnt tell me about the July price rise which has annoyed me and my out of contract dates arent in sink (4 August for line rental and 23 July for broadband and calls. I need the unlimited downloads and high speed but think I could do better. Do I switch or haggle with BT? Not sure that Plusnet wouldnt charge me a fortune as everyone round here is BT or Virgin when I googled my area which is east Belfast. Plusnets estimated speed doesnt look good either (38mpbs). Im very confused. Any help is much appreciated.

Have you had a look at EE Broadband ?

I'm in the process of changing from Plunet through tcb free:money: CALLER DISPLAY.
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ee-broadband/ :beer:
    Possible £73.50p ( Cashback never guaranteed ) alls well with me at present inst 9/8/16. :j
    Now tracking at £77. :j
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts