New neighbour noise

Options

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your next door neighbor is ill, obviously having problems with her child. Could you not be neighbourly and ask her round for a coffee? She may not know anyone in the area, suggest you take small child out for a while, let her play in your garden. You are making a story up regarding their lives, go help them and you might be surprised.
  • LunaLovegood
    LunaLovegood Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2018 at 3:48PM
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Your next door neighbor is ill, obviously having problems with her child. Could you not be neighbourly and ask her round for a coffee? She may not know anyone in the area, suggest you take small child out for a while, let her play in your garden. You are making a story up regarding their lives, go help them and you might be surprised.

I did think about it- however the mum never seems to leave the house, and when she does she wears a surgical mask- I have a dog so didn't think my house would be the best environment for her.

Also don't think its my place (or duty) as a complete stranger (and busy person myself) to offer to take her child out for a walk or into my garden when it seems even her own partner doesn't do this.

I wanted advice on the noise, not on how to be a humanitarian or babysitter.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    have you ever thought that just because he's home he may be working from home?

my hubby can work anywhere - he's even worked on a plane so location isn't everything.
  • LunaLovegood
    Options
    have you ever thought that just because he's home he may be working from home?

my hubby can work anywhere - he's even worked on a plane so location isn't everything.

Explained my reasons for thinking he doesn't work from home in another post. It might have been too judgemental for some, but there you have it.
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re revising for exams, i agree with the poster who recommended a local library.

My local library has a reading room and is always full of students (including myself) studying.
  • LunaLovegood
    Options
    Thanks for library suggestion, but both the uni or nearest 'local' library would still involve travel on either bus or car, which we literally cannot afford to waste money on. Especially when we spent money on making a study room (laptop, desk, printer) for me here before all this.

We bought a house before I went back to uni and was earning a decent salary so we are living down to the last penny as it is.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did think about it- however the mum never seems to leave the house, and when she does she wears a surgical mask- I have a dog so didn't think my house would be the best environment for her.

Also don't think its my place (or duty) as a complete stranger (and busy person myself) to offer to take her child out for a walk or into my garden when it seems even her own partner doesn't do this.

I wanted advice on the noise, not on how to be a humanitarian or babysitter.

If you offer it then gives her the choice whether to accept or not. You can explain about the dog when you ask her. She might be fine with it.

I think these suggestions are about breaking the ice which will, in turn, give you the opportunity to raise the noise issue. As well as being neighbourly.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I genuinely think that if you tried to get to know these people the noise would become less of an issue.

Try the easter egg,maybe now the warmer weather is coming you might see them in the garden,a few words over the fence and take it from there.

I have extensive knowledge of noisy neighbours over the years and have often combatted it by getting to know them and being friendly.
    It's amazing how much less you "hear" the noise when you understand what makes others tick!
    I'm also a LL and to be honest my comments earlier about it being a business transaction were straight from the heart.I wouldn't ever change any tenants just to suit the neighbours, and faced a huge amount of neighbourhood snobbery from so called "friends" who lived next door to me for years but presented me with a list of tenant requests once they knew I would be renting the property.....all of which I ignored,one being never to rent to students!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • LunaLovegood
    Options
    I'll suggest it to her then when I call in with the easter egg later this week. I just didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

We've always been neighbourly with everyone round us. This street in particular e.g. borrowing garden tools and the kids all go out and play together etc. just these guys literally never seem to leave the house and havent introduced themselves to anyone.

I only know her name because I took in a parcel for them before they had properly moved in and when I went in with it and the guy answered I said 'Im XXXX by the way and my husband is XXXX if you ever need anything'...no reply other than a mumbled 'thanks' from the guy. Don't know his name
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    You seem to know a great deal about these people when your contact with them has been limited.

I mention this because this level of detailed knowledge and strong opinion about people you don't really know suggests you may be overly focused on your immediate environment. This not uncommon when you spend a lot of time at home. However, it could also mean you are overly focused on the noise you can hear and it's become magnified for you because of this.

In one post you say you have no choice but to go to sleep, but this conflicts with intolerable ear splitting noise, which surely you couldn't sleep through?

In your position I would (in the nicest way) get out more. Studying in other locations can actually be very good for you, stimulating your thoughts and giving you focus without distractions.

I would also definitely try the headphones.

Put your hands up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport