What are you making for dinner?

edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
9.6K replies 591.6K views

Replies

• goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Last bowl of sweet potato, coconut milk and lime soup with a slice of brown toast followed by strawberries and then a small piece of brie with a coffee or two.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonight I am making Nigel Slater’s recipe for spicy sausage pasta in a cream sauce. I watched him make it on the Food Channel recently, and it looked delicious. Have bought posh Spanish sausages for it!
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keto quiche tonight with corned beef crust, and salad
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Made coleslaw to use up some red cabbage and rather bendy carrots (mayonnaise from this recipe following stick blender method How to make mayonnaise – recipe | Food | The Guardian) and ate it with the end of the brie, brown bread and pea shoots. Planning to have some nuts and/or dried fruit with my coffee in a minute when it has all gone down a bit.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

by Ambrose Bierce
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    @goldfinches hope the mayo making went well. I dont know if it's still available but a blog, mortgage free in 3 had a very simple mayo recipe done in a minute and it was really good.

Tonight we had chilli, a meat version made with chunky beef from the freezer and I had a quorn one made with an onion, quorn and a couple of peppers, fried off and mixed with a chilli pasta sauce and a tin of beans. It turned out ok.

This was served on rice, and in a tortilla bowl, using wraps that were going a bit hard. 

• building_with_legobuilding_with_lego Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    JIL said:
    @goldfinches hope the mayo making went well. I dont know if it's still available but a blog, mortgage free in 3 had a very simple mayo recipe done in a minute and it was really good.

Tonight we had chilli, a meat version made with chunky beef from the freezer and I had a quorn one made with an onion, quorn and a couple of peppers, fried off and mixed with a chilli pasta sauce and a tin of beans. It turned out ok.

This was served on rice, and in a tortilla bowl, using wraps that were going a bit hard. 

Long time lurker/ occasional poster here, though I regularly check in and steal ideas for our meals.

I was intrigued by the idea of this simple mayo recipe, and googled the blog. The security certificate has expired a while ago but I hope it's ok to post the recipe itself.

TEN SECOND MAYONNAISE

• 1 whole egg (yes the whole one not just the egg yolk)
    • 0.5 tsp salt
    • 0.5 tsp dry mustard
    • 2tbsp lemon juice
    • 250 ml oil (I used light virgin but an veg oil would be OK)
    I leaned over and popped the stick blender into the jug.
    Whizzed for ten seconds ………………..
    MAYONNAISE!!!!!………….. 

Which genuinely sounds incredible. The photos aren't loading, and I don''t want to download them, but this is from here: https://www.mortgagefreeinthree.com/ten-second-mayonnaise/ and I am absolutely going to try it!
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a massive courgette for free locally in the week, someone had cut them that day and left them out in a box. 
    I dusted four slices with flour , egg and parmesan mixed with panko breacrumbs and fried.
    Had with some mackerel and potato croquettes. 
    I still have loads of courgette left so any ideas gratefully received. 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JIL said:

Long time lurker/ occasional poster here, though I regularly check in and steal ideas for our meals.

I was intrigued by the idea of this simple mayo recipe, and googled the blog. The security certificate has expired a while ago but I hope it's ok to post the recipe itself.

TEN SECOND MAYONNAISE

• 1 whole egg (yes the whole one not just the egg yolk)
    • 0.5 tsp salt
    • 0.5 tsp dry mustard
    • 2tbsp lemon juice
    • 250 ml oil (I used light virgin but an veg oil would be OK)
    I leaned over and popped the stick blender into the jug.
    Whizzed for ten seconds ………………..
    MAYONNAISE!!!!!………….. 

Which genuinely sounds incredible. The photos aren't loading, and I don''t want to download them, but this is from here: https://www.mortgagefreeinthree.com/ten-second-mayonnaise/ and I am absolutely going to try it!
    This works if you use a tall, narrow jug, but isn't so easy in a wide bowl/jug. 
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    @JIL and @building_with_lego - while the ingredients are slightly different the method is exactly the same as the one I used and I can vouch for it provided you use a jug or beaker that fits snugly round the head of your stick blender. Mine took literally under 30secs to go from plunging the blender into the mixture to completely finished mayonnaise ready to be dolloped into the coleslaw bowl. I was slightly sceptical but am now completely converted to this method.

@kerri_gt - I have these two recipes sitting waiting in my folder of possibles Courgette & ricotta tart recipe | BBC Good Food and Crunchy courgette pickle recipe | BBC Good Food partly because the comments from other cooks about them are so constructive. I especially liked the idea of using a salad spinner to dry off the courgette slices for the pickle. 

Anyway, back to dinner tonight, I had a large bowl of coleslaw with a half baguette filled with Linda McCartney sausages, lettuce, tomatoes, gherkins and basil leaves followed by a coffee.

Air

by Ambrose Bierce
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou for posting the recipe @building_with_lego

I thought mortgage free in three did some fabulous recipes,  quick porridge was  a big favourite of mine as well as a really good Norwegian apple cake, a ginger cake and curry sauces.

Tonight husband sorts the dinner, we had Harry Ramsden cod, Harry Ramsden chips (via Iceland)and home made mushy peas.