edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.1K replies 617.5K views

Replies

• BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    kerri_gt said:
    I still have loads of courgette left so any ideas gratefully received. 
    Someone else had the same problem a week or two back....my suggestions included things like:
    • thinly sliced to use instead of pasta in a lasagna
    • "zucchini" cake  (I grew up with the Italian name rather than the French one)
    • cut into chunks to roast with peppers, onions, potatoes (or you can just chunk and freeze for later use)
    • shredded, fried in butter as an omelet filling.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    While I was out for a late afternoon/early evening walk it turned rather cold and began to spit and spot with threateningly large drops of rain so I rejigged the dinner menu while sprinting for the front door and had toast and marmite, a fried egg and a can of baked beans followed by a boiling hot coffee. I turned the heating on for a quick blast too.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • edited 8 August at 4:22PM
    BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 8 August at 4:22PM
    after a weary Saturday I succumbed to OH's plea for me to go and get fish & chips.  I'm trying to be sensible about it (sort of) and get the OAP portion rather than the mega platter.  unfortunately as it was 8 pm before we were eating and I was worn out and went to bed about 10 I woke at about 3 am with dreadful indigestion.  I either need to avoid stuff like this altogether or eat much earlier.

breakfast was a lovely production of eggs benedict courtesy of the OH.  I had got up a bit earlier (but still after 10!) and had a small bowl of strawberries, youghurt and muesli (pleased I've found one that is completely without any type of dried fruit which I find unpleasant in cereal)

duck & new potatoes this evening.  (should have bought some rocket to go with it but was too fussed yesterday at Sainbugs as a woman was trailing behind me coughing a lot and every time I stopped to get something she would come and stand right next to me and then lean across to get something with even a vague attempt at manners... I have low tolerance of this sort of behaviour)

I did manage to get some salmon to grill for breakfast, maybe have a tomato with it.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • arielgirlarielgirl Forumite
    328 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Haven't been here for a while. My other half parent keep ending up at supermarket and getting bargains. They seem to get massive ''packets'' of drumsticks. Last week we stretched them. Curry, peri peri chicken, even just chicken and rice etc. So economical considering they got them for .£1.50ish.  A few take aways. A few cooked breakfasts. Nothing v exciting. Hoping everyone is well. x
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did a put it all in the oven dinner today, chicken, potato dauphinose, red cabbage, stuffing, roasted broccoli. Vege sausages for me.
    Even squeezed in an apple crumble. 
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a manic few days with an unexpected visit from family, loved seeing them but ker-nack-ered 

a lovely friend dropped off a couple of Bream he caught, so BBQ’D fresh fish with soy, ginger, garlic etc and stir fry veg for tonight 👍
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brie i don't like muesli with dried fruit in it either much,  i usually buy thr Asda Smart Price one.

Last couple of days have been veggie chilli from the vat I made on Sat. Tonight we had it with naan bread...I'm calling it fusion dining 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

328 Posts
    ✭✭
    mince with carrots, onions, mushrooms and gravy. Served with mash
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I made this recipe yesterday Wild Mushroom Palmier Recipe - Great British Chefs which was delicious particularly the tapenade which I'm definitely making again. Here is what I ate it with yesterday and earlier this evening.

The recipe says it makes 30 but I got 51 cutting some not quite as thin as suggested and I also found that thinner ones were much crispier and nicer to eat. I left mine in the freezer for two hours, they were easier to cut but took an extra 15 minutes in the oven. I used M*rks cheapest olives and Mr T own brand capers for the tapenade and it was really good.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    I made spag bol with the other half of the mince yesterday. This will be dinner tonight